Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The inevitable: entry level retro basses?

Tedly Nightshade

I have a friend, as 70's as can be, a woman if that matters (maybe it does, lots of ladies shredding the bass with a certain classic something in common), who has a couple hundred to spend on a bass, preferably less as it'd be nice to budget some for setting it all up sweet.

Any consumer reports on the entry level new stuff?

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a Danelectro? They're very inexpensive, uber-retro hip, & folks have actually had good things to say about them. :cool:

Another way to go besides getting something self-consciously "retro" is to get something timeless & classic, e.g. a sunburst Jazz (& variants)--good specimens at low prices are not too hard to find. They look old school/traditional, but will never be "dated."

Hey Ted,

Does she play currently, or is she just starting? If she plays, what instrument is she using?

I agree with dcr that Danelectros are an interesting choice, especially if you are "weight conscious". The spacing is smaller, so if your friend has played Fender P basses, this may not work. Ibanez and Fender make nice products, but you have to be sure that everything works right, and that the construction was done properly - there are manufacturing variations that can cripple a bass. Also, look used - Carvin and many others are available fairly cheap, and are a great value (the GC near me has an old 4 for 475 that plays great).

Also, if you search our forum, this question comes up frequently (as you can imagine). Take a peek at our past !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Got my Essex Jazz bass today and I'm really happy with it. The quality is very high especially considering the price.

I've been playing it for the last 4 hours or so (my fingers hurt)and it's great. Punchy sound, slim neck, good finish, everything is very nicely finished. Tight neck pocket.

I did need to change the strings though. The ones they put on were old and not very good. I put on some Dean Markley's and it improved right away.

I'll upgrade the pickups to some Carvins or Bartolini's soon. The stock ones are cool, I just want more sound.

I'll give it an 8 out of 10. I would buy another one. :D

www.rondomusic.com

SKATE AND DESTROY

www.concretedisciples.com

ok, though i know better to post to threads like these...

if she's honestly looking for a vintage instrument on the cheap (?????), remember that at one point squier did actually make a quality instrument. and they were quite '70's fabulous. i believe i mentioned in an earlier thread a girl i knew getting a 1970-something squier with a brass pickguard in a used shop for about $200 or something and i was a bit envious as it rocked profoundly please don't flame me over this run on sentence.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by ERIC31:

Tell her to check out ESSEX BASSES from http://www.rondomusic.com

They have really nice P bass and J bass copies for amazingly low prices. They got good reviews from lots of people on Talkbass.com

I've ordered one myself.

Good luck! :D

How do they even make money!!! Those guitars are so cheap that it's hard to imagine that they're making a profit off of them. They look really nice in the pictures too. How is it you can get a fretless jazz for under 200$!! I might just order one because I can!!!

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Ended up with a Yamaha from the pawn shop- $89. Looks to be pretty good.

Thanks for all the advice!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived