Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

5-string bass question

Jay J.

ok I am looking for a 5-string to play around with to decide if I like that extra string or not. I did a search here and found that many people recomend ibanez, yamaha and spector. so I looked and here are some deals I found, I woundering how good these are and what one I should go for.

Ibanez SR645: $349 (don't know much about it)

spector NS2000/5: $499 (neck-through, but I've heard that the EMG-HZ pups are not that great)

Yamaha: there is a bunch of em, so I'm not sure. if you know of one in the same price range that you would recomend I would like to know what model it is.

thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is only because I own one and I haven't tried many Ibanez basses.

The Yamaha BBN5. You might have to look around for it but I think they've change the body shape a little now and call it a Nathan East style bass. From the specs it is very similar to my bass. It has passive J pickups. I haven't found many basses like my one for the same money. I string it with DR highbeams and it just sings (at least to me it does).

Personnally Ibanez basses (the ones I have played) have too thin a neck. I am used to a little bit wider spacing than the Ibanez basses. I tried a 4 string once and it felt like I was holding the neck of a guitar (very foriegn).

Here's a pic of the Yamaha:

Yamaha 5 string

I'm not sure what the price is now but my bass cost me $700 AUS (about $350 - $400 US)

"I'd like to have an argument"

"Ah yes indeed, is that the full half hour or just five minutes?"

I'm a Yamaha fanatic myself, and I've owned a couple Ibanez basses as well. Overall, the quality control on Yamaha's is better, as is the stability of the instrument; neck tuning etc. From my own personal experience. I've never tried the Spector stuff. Plus I favor the 3/4" wide string spacing of Yamaha's vs. the much narrower spacing of Ibanez's, ESP's and the like. Yamaha's also have a limited lifetime guarantee, and they back it. They are the best at customer service.

So now that you've narrowed it down, congrats, and ...

Here's where I step in with my by-now-very-old advice: Don't assume that all the Ibanez 645s will be the same (obviously likewise the Yamaha 405s). Even though they're mass-produced, there are lots of variations between individual basses of the same make/model. If at all possible, PLAY the one you're going to buy. Little variations in the factory will make for huge differences in how you feel about the instrument (shielding of the electronics cavity, soldering, routing of the pickup slots, neck joint, fretwork, body wood, neck true, yadayadayada).

Or what the hell, ignore me and buy online/catalog. :D

Archived