Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Remix question

This might be dumb but here goes: I understand the concept of loop based music and remixing, but where do remix artists get their vocals? I'd like to try some things but how does one obtain vocal tracks. Are remix artists hired by studios? Is there software that separates vocal tracks? Anyway - if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the studio or artist or record company. Yes. Yes, I saw a software program that did exactly this thing, and posted about this extensively on rec.audio.pro several years ago. I believe the program was called Pandora or something like that, and it was a work in progress by a German gentleman. I don't know if this ever made it past the developmental stage, but its results were stunning, as it apparently used some sort of A.I. to discern between the music and the vocals. A lot of vocals taken by remixers are taken, music and all, and made to blend with loops and such.

If Remixers are commissioned to do a remix, they're provided the master recordings of the originals. Otherwise, you have to find an acapella version of the song (these are frequently released with other remixes of the track - esp. on vinyl). From anything I've heard, software or processing that claims to extract vocals from a recording doesn't really do what it claims.

Archived