Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sample Conversion Programs? TASCAM - READ THIS!

Well, as I mentioned in another thread, I have gigastudio now. Only one problem. I'd like to use some of the stuff in my ESI-32 sample collection (mostly on CD's). I know there's programs that will allow you to read various formats and convert them to Gigastudio - Giga even comes with a conversion program for Akai format disks... but again, I don't have Akai - I have E-Mu. I know about the Chicken Systems Translator and CDXtract... I was just wondering if there was anything else out there that I should consider. It's just a simple utility, but there's so much "stuff" insofar as parameters, layers, crossfades, etc. in samples that conversion may be harder than one might think. So, before I pluck down a hundred or two on a converter program, I'm asking for the opinions of the good folks on this forum as to which program I should purchase. Just another example of YOUR input having an effect on MY spending. MANUFACTURERS: TAKE NOTE! Heck, TASCAM - TAKE NOTE!!! I probably wouldn't have been interested in Gigastudio had it not been for posts made by various members here on Musicplayer. So be nice to the members here and the folks at Musicplayer - You guys OWE them! ;)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow Phil, that's a toughy. I'd probably just use the "read audio" function in Sound Forge and cut your losses on the non-CD samples by dumping analog, if necessary.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

From everything I've read the chicken sys seems like the best solution, and most likely the only viable one. It seems to be less generic in conversion so I myself might get it as well. Congrats on Gigastudio Phil, you'll be using that ESI less and less. Is it on its own PC? I hope it is, and I hope you can resist putting other stuff with it even though it'll work...initially. Let us know which conversion program you get and how well it works. I'll let you buy it first since I have other gear ahead of it on my waiting list. :cool:
Raul

Yup, it's on my old Compaq 933 MHz PIII w/ 512 MB RAM. That's all I'm using it for - "virtual synths and sampling". The Athlon 1800 XP has PT, Logic and Sonar as well as Sound Forge 5. This is a great program. I'm really enjoying it! :D

I always listen, Phil. You know that. :) Tell ya what...I'll talk to some of my boyz over here and get some first-hand info on converting various sample formats into Giga, with info on how the details come through. Then I'll repost here. How's THAT for service? - Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I've d/l the demos of CDxtract and Chicken Systems. Both seem to work fine on the couple of things I tried, but I have not gotten too far "into" them yet. I see you have both for sale (Giga editions, which is all the translations I'd need) on the website, but CDXtract is a bit less expensive. Just wondering if there's any particular reason that Chicken Systems would be worth the extra bucks. You guys were pretty darn smart to buy Nemesys! You've got a winner here - GREAT program! :D

Archived