Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Exercise, Bass Playing & Performing

Wally Malone

Every now and then someone mentions exercise as it relates to playing or even moving their equipment. Most of my life I've been into some form of fitness, except for some of the time in the seventies when I lead the life as they described it "sex, drugs & rock & roll." In the eighties I escaped that lifestyle when I got into running and then progressed into doing triathlons and marathons. That was my extreme period. Didn't work during the days then but played music five or six nights a week. There were times that I would finish the gig, go home and unload my equipment and put my bike in the car and leave and drive to a triathlon. I was actually good at them even finishing in top ten. I trained during peak season from three to five hours a day. That went on until about 1987 when I ending up starting to work during the days. My training changed to that of running for fitness and not wearing the watch anymore, running trails for the enjoyment of running and letting my body tell me how fast it wanted to go that particular day.

From the days in the early eighties I believe my playing starting really advancing. Being physically fit and more alert helped not only my bass playing but also helped my vocal chops and moving the equipment at the end of the gig. I always felt good on stage and it gave me a new found stage presence.

The later nineties I went a different direction and got into power lifting. Was doing great with it to the point of benching over 300 lbs, squatting and dead lifting 365 lbs. I got big during that period and weighed about 20 lbs heavier than I ever have. Again this didn't interfere with my bass playing, in fact it felt good to play and I could unload a whole van of equipment by myself. But then one day when dead lifting 370 I separated my bicep tendon and had to have surgery. Now that didn't help my playing. In fact I had to sub the show I was doing for ten weeks. Talk about lost income.

Now I think I have a better balance. I'm running three times a week, twice a week doing 4 or 5 milers and one long run a week on the weekend which I did today and have that one up to eight miles with two hills on 3/8 of a mile and a 1 1/4 mile that takes me to the half way point of the run. I go to the gym twice a week and do a chest workout one day and biceps and triceps on the other day. I can still bench 245.

For a 55 year-old I feel pretty good. Most people think I look about 40 (I shave my head, they don't know about the grey hair). I feel like I'm playing better than ever (of course I still practice a lot) and can still move the PA rack and my bass cabs with no problem.

Anyone else?

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you, my brother; in agreement, that is, NOT as fit as you are! I'm discovering that bass-playing is an intensely physical experience, more so than g****r playing.

In the past 7 years since I've been married I put on a lot of weight and got very sedentary. Well, in March I was diagnosed with diabetes; the dr. said I HAD to lose weight and get fit if I hoped to control it. I took it to heart, I've dropped 30 lb. since March, and every day I walk the dog an hour (briskly) and sometimes add a 1/2 hr. bike ride, too.

The whole experience of playing bass has improved for me. I play better, I enjoy it more. (Moving equipment is not an issue; I believe the reason God created 2-wheel dollie is so we could move our big amplifiers around.)

So I guess my experience can stand for the proposition that even moderate exercise can reap big benefits. I recommend it to anybody (unless you're going to audition for the gig I want, in which case I think you should let yourself go to pot so you play badly :cool: ...).

Chad, glad to hear you took the doc's advice to heart. Diet and exercise are the best medicines. There are so many different things one can do to get the exercise they need. Keep it up. :thu:

Wally

Over the past 18 months I have increased in wieight from 75 kgs to 95kgs. Not all of it fat but enough of it is to make me think I should do something about it. About 18 mths ago I used to do a lot of sports but I developed RSI in my elbows and wrists from playing bass and Judo mostly. On top of all the things the doctor told me to do I decided that the rsi was my bodies way of telling me I need to slow down a bit. I think I slowed down too much because I gave up sports all together. Although my playing has increased greatly I still have the feeling of needing to get out and do something physically exertive but I'm having trouble getting motivated. I think the time I took off has set me into a bad habit of being lazy. I can notice it in my playing as well. When I practice I have trouble concentrating on practicing scales and what not even though I really want to.

"I'd like to have an argument"

"Ah yes indeed, is that the full half hour or just five minutes?"

You know, I'm 6'4" 220lbs. When I was in my special forces unit, I was about 30-40lbs lighter, and I felt better. I was just starting to play then, so I cant really Judge the fitness/playing angle accurately. But I do know when I was lifting heavy, I found that I seemed to lose some dexterity and finesse in my playing. Now, I have two herniated discs, I get up at 5a.m. get back from work at 5p.m., and I do this 6 days a week. I can either exercise or play my bass given my time limits. I end up playing bass. :rolleyes:

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Dats'ame, it seems to me that doctors are changing the way they look at things. Total absence of exercise, in my opinion, is not the answer. I have friends that prefer swimming, others that like bicycling and some walking. Find out what works for you and doesn't leave you with pain. Whatever you choose, remember to build up slowly. I don't run as much during the winters but when I start back each spring I'll do alternate running and walking and start with shorter distances and increase them as time goes on. I've been thinking about swimming this winter to keep the cardio workouts going.

Wally

And who can forget that regular exercise makes you a better performer? Since I've dropped 20 lbs (in 2 months) I can move more onstage, I look better, and I have more energy to play. The inspiration behind all this was my father's sucessful qaud. bypass surgery in march. Since then, I have used the time to really begin to appreciate my health and my craft. To all those who workout and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle, I say way to go! I've known far too many gifted musicians that lose themselves down the path of self destruction. Regular exercise is a great way to relieve the stress that active touring and playing can create. Keep it up...
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Wally, I keep finding more things we have in common, we have to get together....

I am a competitive swimmer. This is something that I did as a kid, in high school , and in college at a pretty high level. Then I just played music for years.

Then I discovered Masters Swimming. This is competitive swimming for "older people". It's based on age groups, every five years. I am in the 50-54 age group and actually looking forward to two years from now when I will be the youngest in the next age group up. I train almost daily with people half my age and compete at the national level. I too have come home from a gig at 2 am, got up at 6:30 to go to a swim meet, and then done a gig that same night.

There are a few benefits that I would like to mention.

I feel better, I am in shape (actually in a lot better shape than my 21 year old son), I look younger than my age, I have made many friends that are not musicians, and I have other interests in my life than music. Having other things that I think about both makes my music better and makes the time I spend playing music more important. Having friends who are not musicians and meeting women who are not singers or waitresses lets me see the world in a more healthy way.

I play pretty regularly with four other people approximately me age. The three who don't exercise are overweight, have foot and back problems. The two of us who do exercise seem to be more relaxed in general and we are both still relatively thin. I am 6'1" and 175 pounds and if you are really curious you can see a picture of me in a high tech racing suit on my swimming web page.

swimming web page

a timely thread- im 44 and have not watched myself too much in about a year- it shows and now im back to weight training- and h some cardio- my diet is now changing as well- but i find time is hard to come by- nevertheless, being fit is paramount in this biz..

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I just got back from an extremely high energy gig I played...a fabulous one, by the way...in the upper regions of the Nevada desert. 6200 feet, and hot in the club. If it had not been for the fact that I still do a reasonable amount of exercise, I would have collapsed completely. That says enough in regards to 48 year old players making an effort to stay in shape.

I have stated many times on different forums how highly I regard exercise and what it means not only in regards to being able to move about your own equipment, but how highly I disregard the complaints of people who seem to take issue with hanging 12 pounds on their shoulder for 3 to 4 hours.

Exercise and lotsa water, folks, is key!!!

Right on Jeremy! :thu:

When I was competing in triathlons I was swimming 10,000 to 15,000 yds a week at master workouts at Harvey West Park in Santa Cruz. I would ride my bike from Boulder Creek and then take the long way back through Soquel and across the summit and back down to Boulder Creek. The fitness center I go to just opened another one on the other side of town and they have a pool. This winter when I slow down on the running it's time to get back into swimming.

bassape, there are times for me when the scheduling gets tough. I'm glad I don't have to get up a 5 in the morning (I stay up to 2 or 3 so I can get my practicing in). Some I know with busy schedules as your's will squeeze a walk in at lunch. I've found that when I'm the busiest that I really have to find time to squeeze some exercise in, it's great for the mental outlook.

Wally

Running keeps me fit. I feel better when I'm running regularly; I concentrate better; and I think I play bass better. I try to get out at least 3 times/week -- usually once on Sat., once on Sun., and then early morning before work on a weekday. I always make time for stretching after running -- not just legs, but arms, back, torso, neck -- and I think this helps my playing also.

I also have two dogs, and two brisk 20-30 min. walks every day with them can't be overlooked as helping out. I took up harmonica a couple of years ago, and blowing harp while walking the dogs in the evening is a nice way to combine some musical experimentation with some mild exercise. (Plus, it's great work for your lungs -- some of you who sing might want to try this out.)

I also have two young children. Carrying them around, playing games with them, lifting them in and out of chairs, car seats, etc. -- every day -- has certainly helped me maintain a basic level of upper body strength. (I'm pretty careful to lift them with my legs, not my back.)

BUT, don't go out and get two dogs or have a couple of kids for the sake of exercise! :D

Do go out and get a harmonica -- it's cheap, it fits in your pocket, you can take it anywhere, and you can jam at a moment's notice! It also could become another talent in your bag of tricks that helps you earn a gig. Want to work your lungs hard? Jam on harp for an hour with some guitarists who wanna play too loud. None of us know any of those! ;)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Been meaning to yap on this thread {like that's any surprise ; }

When I was young, and they packed me off to school... I was sickly (health problems from birth), and had long hair to compensate. I was a target for all the Favored Ones -- the jocks. Good thing the cheerleaders allowed me revenge ; }

Anyway, this really turned me off on "sports". But I did try a couple times until taking some hits that required knee operations. I was told not to get into skiing or bycycling or anything that might really stress the knee.

But I did get into hiking and backpacking and continue today -- Montana's got it all within ten or twenty minutes too. I've done some pretty hard stuff along and over the Continental Divide, lots of miles with pounds on the back. I also added back-country skiing and snorkeling to the mix, and a some motor sports (these take more than you think -- you can really get sore after a day flinging the 'bars around and gripping the 'tank).

I have to admit I let it slide in the past year as I spent more time on the net for both job and recreation. Got a tire I need to get rid of. So seeing you iron men talk your talk begins to motivate me : }

Fortunately I have an acre I'm reclaiming from the wilderness that required lots of fence post digging, leveling by shovel and pick, removal of rocks and stumps, and much planting of trees and shrubs. Now it begins to look like a big lawn and garden and I got it happening with a push mower. So I haven't entirely turned to mush.

But in spite of being the "PA guy", I am stepping back into mountain hiking (I'm a short drive to Glacier National Park and many other worthy areas) and snorkeling. And as soon as summer is over -- in Montana that is known as the season of "four weeks of really bad skiing" -- I'm going to try to get back to at least 40 backcountry powder trips. Honest...

I've never been into sports or exercise. A few years back I got serious about walking and my diet and was doing pretty well. Since Jan. I've been walking again (with some biking as well), but not managing the diet, so I'm still carrying 20 pounds I don't need. I also have back problems (muscular, not disc). Got a desk job, too. Oh well.... I do more than my part carrying equipment because I refuse to do less (but the drummers trap case is a 2 man operation).

Even if I loose the 20, I'll always be careful about my back, so I'll never be lifting the bus to change a tire. In my favor is that I don't drink more than a couple a year, never smoked, and try to stay active within my schedule.

Still, I agree with Wally et. al. that being in good shape helps your playing, vocals, and mental alertness at the gig. That's what I'm working for. Now if I can just eat less...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, it's not so much about eating less but eating the right foods. When eating the right foods your body tells you when you've eaten enough. Every now and then I jump back into the ice cream which has always been my weakness. I have given it up for many months at a time. If you are having back problems that are muscular, work on your abs. A lot of back problems are actually caused by weak abs.

Wally

Hi all,

Well done Wally for starting this thread. The link between fitness and good musicianship is too often overlooked. Although I'm not religious I do believe that good music must celebrate life. Good diet and exercise help to create a life worth expressing through music, and enable you to give so much more to an audience. Especially from the bass chair. For me there's nothing better than translating that funky feeling you get from being fit and healthy through your bass and watching a crowd go nuts.

Cheers Pete

I've found that walking helps keep my lower back from giving me trouble. A few years ago, I had some serious lower back problems due to an incorrect posisiton while playing upright. Now, I walk 3 or 4 miles daily. Doesn't seem like much but it makes a huge difference. I don't get tired on stage even though I am playing upright with a Jump Blues band. In fact, the other band members whine and complain about being tired more than I do. You know, wimpy guitar players and such.

Well, playing a Fender Precison can definitely ruin your back (not to mention your left wrist)! The thing relentless tries to return perpendicular to the floor, instead of a slight incline to the neck. (Maybe they thought we would all play sitting down?) Just WHY did no one at Fender notice that "holding up" that heavy headstock as you play can't be healthy? Every time I see the bass player on a live gig with the strap flipped across the top corner of his P-bass, I feel his pain!

My 5-string I usually use is fairly light and balanced. But I'm going to start looking at something other than the usual fat single-shoulder strap. 4 hours several days in a row kind of stiffens me up around the neck on that side.

Well, exercise.

When I was in college studying bass, I cycled between 20 and 50 miles per day. Was in the best shape of my life.

Then I suffered a (rather personal) injury involving the saddle area of my body. Had to stop riding conventional bikes.

My shape has steadily declined, until last fall I purchased a recumbent (read BikeE) and loved the heck out of it.

Then I got my knee bunged up by that hit by a car incident, and it stopped my cycling and slowed my walking; I've really gotten out of shape lately.

So now, guys, you've inspired me to try again. I have started really slow, not stressful recumbent riding again (it's great on the back, FYI) and my knee feels no pain. I'll continue this gentle exercise through the upcoming months...we'll see what the Doctor says.

So, guys, you've inspired me.

Check out my bike: www.bikee.com

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

ummmmm ?!?

interesting, never thought i'd read this sort of link on a bass players site !

i guess i'm lucky my guitar only weighs 10lb ! ;)

as you might've guessed, the only exersize i get

is pushing my luck :D this is cupmcmali wishing the best of health to the oldtimers :thu:

Thanks for the "walking" advice, but I read meters for the gas company. I probably walk more than any 3 people on this thread! :D j/k However, I start my new job as a mechanic in Sept/Oct. Then I can get back into running, swimming, lifting again. The new job is 2nd shift, so I can excercise when I get up, shower, and still have time to play before work (hopefully). The new job will bring different hazards though. I cant wait to royally screw up my hands with an exhaust burn! :D But for almost 20 bucks/hour...

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Well, exercise.

When I was in college studying bass, I cycled between 20 and 50 miles per day. Was in the best shape of my life.

Then I suffered a (rather personal) injury involving the saddle area of my body. Had to stop riding conventional bikes.

My shape has steadily declined, until last fall I purchased a recumbent (read BikeE) and loved the heck out of it.

Then I got my knee bunged up by that hit by a car incident, and it stopped my cycling and slowed my walking; I've really gotten out of shape lately.

So now, guys, you've inspired me to try again. I have started really slow, not stressful recumbent riding again (it's great on the back, FYI) and my knee feels no pain. I'll continue this gentle exercise through the upcoming months...we'll see what the Doctor says.

So, guys, you've inspired me.

Check out my bike: www.bikee.com

DBB...I am a firm believer in progressive resistance (read:weightlifting) exercise. I belive in the vast amounts of variety inherent in the concept. I have a knee I can barely walk on anymore thanks to an old football injury and resultant surgery in 1971. The thing with weight training is that I can work around the degradation of the knee joint and keep the supporting muscles, and more importantly, tendons, strong enough to offset that degradation. When I combine that with a swimming regimen that keeps me going.

dbb, with the injured knee it might be better to do some swimming. I'm sure that Jeremy would agree that as we get older swimming is probably the best exercise we can do. It is less stressful on those old joints.

bassape, the one thing I dropped out of my lifting routine years ago was wrist curls. Overly tight forearms are definitely not great for playing bass. Exercising the biceps, triceps, chest, back and shoulders don't seem to take away from my dexterity.

Wally

Wally

Swimming is pretty easy on the joints...except for the whip kick (breaststroke) which is a little tough on the knees.

The main swimming injuries are to the shoulders and until you get up in the 10,000 yard per day I wouldn't worry about. The most I ever go in a day is 7000, but most days it's 3500 yards.

yeah, guys I know about swimming.

I uncovered my beautiful pool last week, to open for the winter, and found 1 inch of sand covering the bottom. The sand was full of detritus and the pool actually looks like a lovely pond. I just spent $3500 last year to reline it.

Evidently the main drain pipe has broken, and sucked up all the sand, through the filter and into the pool. For 6 months.

Insurance company is gonna pay for most of it...thank goodness. They are sending someone tomorrow to drain, clean and track down the leak, and then we'll go from there. I believe I'll get a new Hayward DE filter out of the deal as well.

Meanwhile, (and I hear your cautions) I am still gingerly cycling. Only 10 minutes per day, only slowly on flat terrain. None of that monster hill climbing. My wife's a Physical Therapist, and she is watching over me to make sure that what I do is medically appropriate. I will stop immediately if there is a problem.

Cycling builds the quad muscle, and that is exactly what I need strenghtened before any knee work is done.

Thanks for your concern. Swimming should commence by August 1.

Dave

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I'm all for the fitness thing, but you have to be careful. I broke my collarbone and my wrist trying to be fit (maybe just a little careless?), I lost time on my gig. ( I was working five nights a week then.) I feel better when I exercise, but I sure paid the price when I broke some bones (not to mention the lost revenue.) Nowadays I play tennis and golf with my teenage son. I can beat him at tennis, but he whips me at golf. Aloha from Hawaii
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Archived