Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on the ZOOM BFX 708 and Korg Pandora's box

TKE96

I am looking for a new toy basically. I saw this unit, and instantly fell in love with the idea of the drum machine. This would allow me to munkey around on different styles bassed on the beat, and drum style. Are there any other comeptitor machines that will give me everything in one like this? DOes anybody have this...and want to share their opinions on it? Thanks. linky

Why steal the hub caps...take the whole damn car instead!

http://www.carpecervesa.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, I like my Korg "pandoras box" specifically because it is small, has a drum machine, and has many useful effects. It even has a phrase sampler I can use to record a small bit of music, and play it back slowly w/out reducing the pitch. Although, my BP200 has a drum machine as well, and I think it sounds much better than my Korg unit, or the Zoom pedal. It just seems to have more useable, foot controlable effects for the money IMHO... :D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

You can use the Pandora's box through an amp, but I haven't found the results satisfactory.

First of all, the thing is too fragile to stand up as an onstage device...where ya gonna put it? It bounces off of your amp, gets stepped on on the floor. It's obvious it's not designed for that.

Secondly, most of the sounds in the Pandora's box are stereo, really cool through headphones. The output is not summed, however, when you plug it into an amp. Instead you just get the left channel (?) I think you could sum them with cables or something, but you lose so much.

The box is, I think, quiet enough for recording, but it's basically just a great practice amp in a box. I love mine, and keep it in my bass case with headphones just to kill time if I'm stuck at a long rehearsal. Hard to do THAT with a floor pedal.

Luck

dave

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

DAVEBROWNBASS is totally correct about the box in all of his observations. Again though, I would recommend the Digitech BP200. Has all of the same attractions as the Zoom pedal, but I think the quality of useable effects is greater. Its also made out of sturdy die-cast metal, as opposed to the plastic Zoom. You can use Headphones as well as a line out too.

On a different note, I noticed that my effects with AC power supplies sound good together in line, and my DC effects sound good together in line, but not with both types in line together. I solved the problem by creating 2 seperate effects loops with a Morley A/B switch. The cool thing is that I can use one loop independently, or the other one, but when I want I can use them BOTH simutaneously... Anybody else have this problem?

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Archived