Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicians' Quotes

Metal_Boy16

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got a little book of quotes from the lead guitarist a couple of xmas's ago....here's the best of them !

" after silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music "

Aldous Huxley.

" music is the best means we have of digesting time " W.H. Auden..

" brass bands are all very well in their place-outdoors and several miles away " sir Thomas Beecham...

"music does not excite until it is performed " Benjamin Britten...

" there's only two ways to sum up music: either it's good or bad. if it's good you don't mess about with it, you just enjoy it " Louis Armstrong

" sun shine can burn you, food can poison you, words can condemn you, pictures can insult you;

music cannot punish-only bless " Artur Schnabel..

" the notes i handle no better than many pianists. but the pauses between the notes- ah that is where the art resides " Aurtur Schnabel..

and last but not least my absolute favourite......

" music is spiritual. the music business is not ! ".......Van the man Morrrison....

cup mc mali...... :wave:

Here's another one for your Hendrix file :

"Y'know if there'd been amplifiers like this back in the slavery days a lotta things would've been different."

It's a bit of a long read but check the "Is it all about Lead ?" thread over on the Guitar forum---that thing is chock full of quotes !

i don't remember it word for word but it was somethin like "Get up an move... or I'll put a curse on you... that all your children will be born naked." - hendrix

- weezell02

"I wait for the day to come

when I'll wake up and be a star.

I dream of a different world...

somewhere where we will go far." ~ the Ataris

"On behalf of the band and myself, I'd like to thank you all for coming and I hope we passed the audition."

- John Lennon after the Apple rooftop concert in "Let It Be"

"Music is my mistress."

- Duke Ellington

"Motherfucker"

- Miles Davis (OK, so Miles said this a lot.)

Another quote I have heard attributed to Miles is this...(paraphrasing)

"Don't play the notes, play what's in between."

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

You can have the best musician in the world… but if he's an asshole you don't want him on the tour bus. - Chris Hayes, former guitarist, Huey Lewis and the News.

"Sometimes rock critics get it wrong." - Rock Critic, Greg Siegel on why critics basically wrote-off Cheap Trick in the 70's

"Rock Critics NORMALLY get it wrong, initially." - Blade bassist, Dix, June 1986, when asked why critics always seem to enjoy to giving popular rock bands bad reviews.

http://dix.stibs.cc/images/dix_blk-sm.jpg OUTSIDE THE BELTWAY

http://dix.stibs.cc/images/godgunsrock-s.jpg"My uncles and forefather shouldn't have had to die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born into, come disrespect ours, and make us bend to your will. Get over it." - Ted Nugent

Not directly a quote from a musician, but I red this on a roadies T-Shirt:

"If it's wet ==> drink it;

if it's dry ==> smoke it;

if it moves ==> f*** it;

if it doesn't move ==> put it on the truck!"

And on a T-Shirt of Keith:

"Whoe the f*** is Mick Jagger!"

Drummer Buddy Rich had a heart attack and they were wheeling him into the hospital and asked him if he was allergic to anything. He replied "Country Music".

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I read a qoutation in Bass Player, can't remember who it was from, but it went something like "bluegrass is be-bop for the harmonically challenged".

Joe Meek "If it sounds right it is right"

My mate Rich Meehan "If it ain't baroque don't fix it."

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Originally posted by AlembicKoa:

"We're bigger than Jesus"...John Lennon

Of course, that quote was taken completely out of context by the media at the time and really stirred up the soup!!!

That's not what he said. He said, after opining that Christianity will shrink and eventually vanish, "The Beatles are more popular than Jesus now." It was a tabloid headline (JOHN SAYS BEATLES BIGGER THAN JESUS) that instantly changed the meaning from "more popular" (something objective that could be measured) to "bigger than" (which is subjective, and could be taken to mean "better than" or "more important than").

It's one thing to be taken out of context; it's quite another to be paraphrased--especially in a headline.

Anyway, my favorite qoute:

Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism: People who can't write talking about people who can't play, for people who can't read."

And, a favorite lyric:

Roger Waters:

"We cower in our shelters

With our hands over our ears

Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff

Runs for years and years and years

An earthquake hits the theatre

But the operetta lingers

Then the piano lid comes down

And breaks his fucking fingers

It's a miracle"

Archived