Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Collectable" Basses

rhrocker

Which basses (electric) would you guys consider to be the most "collectable"? This might include some rare models, that are very desirable, but scarce and hard to find.
just makin dem wood chips hea in South Texas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure exactly how "collectable" they'd be considered at this point but I have two that I would not want to have to replace...

Gibson Victory Artist

Steinberger XL-2 (original all graphite version)

If one of these were ever lost I'd shoot myself.

If stolen... well... who do you think I'd shoot then? :D

http://dix.stibs.cc/images/dix_blk-sm.jpg OUTSIDE THE BELTWAY

http://dix.stibs.cc/images/godgunsrock-s.jpg"My uncles and forefather shouldn't have had to die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born into, come disrespect ours, and make us bend to your will. Get over it." - Ted Nugent

You have to define "collectible" a bit better.

I have a friend that has about 12 g****rs. He'll buy new special issue Fenders and Gibsons, waiting for them to appreciate in value. He plays, but investment and the idea of something special.

If you want the most financially valuable, you're probably looking at old Fenders (I'm not up on the details to tell you which is which). If you want unique, there are lots of different types (I recently saw a post '65 Baldwin bass in good shape, then there's Ed Friedlands "fabulous Egmond" - the list is endless).

I play a '69 Gibson EB3. Collectible, because it's very close to what Jack Bruce and Peter Cetera (Chicago) played. Financial value? Even if it was in great condition, the demand is slight. There's a GC out here with a beaten one on the wall for $995 for a year. It'll never go at that price... :eek:

If you like the idea of having unique items, you can begin a long search for many interesting gems, and it won't cost you the 6000+ that some Fenders will.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I think any Pre CBS Fender bass that plays well and is original is valuable. The same applies for the early Ricks, Gibsons, Guilds, Hofners, Music Mans and any early models of a popular maker.

www.danielprine.com

• 3 weeks later...

I think that early Jaydee basses are now very collectible (the Mark Kink sig. models from around 1984 - 1987 especially)

jaydee basses are all hand made - and he has only made around 4000 (all models not just Mark King!)in the last 30 years! - so they are quite rare

sometime find them on Ebay - but there is also a website http://www.jaydeeguitars.com

Archived