Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar being Cappoed, Where do I play on the Bass?

TKE96

In talking to Conklin and Novax, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to get the scale of each outside string where you want it. Actually its relatively new in the amrket, so either way you are paying custom luthier prices ; }

Many of the fan-fretted instruments already out ther or in description actually have pretty logical scale choices. Myself, I'm shooting for a low B (or A) at 35", and if I go up into guitar territory hope to end at 28" (baritone guitar equivalent) or so, depending on how many strings I go for. This is still in the future when hovercars are in wide use, so I have plenty of time to think about it ; }

From what has been described to me, and from what I've gleaned by looking at a pic and imagining hand placement, the fan-fretted instruments are actually easier for reaches because, for example, if you are playing a low C on the B string, a G on the E string is actually closer than on a stright-fretted instrument. And so on up the neck.

This is why you can get the short-scale speed and action as you go up, and also your chordal reach is enhanced. Stare at a pic of one and imagine some scenarios and you will see what I mean.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G.B.,

I'd like to try a fanned fretted instrument.

Maybe that'd be an answer. I still maintain though, in this 21st century high tech world that a true short scaled instrument with partially synthesized (octave lowered?) pickups and a simple way to adapt (afix) standard short scale strings, are all possible. If only I had the smarts to design and prototype one! I spoke with Joe Zon about this idea and he was nice enough to have a dialogue with me via email but he didn't seem to interested in persuing the idea(s). He seemd like one of the most likely candidates for experimentation...and he's a really nice guy to have even bothered with me about it!

I'm also curious to see if the V Bass synth will be an answer. In the meantime I've finally adapted to a 34" scale on fretted. The fretless is still a challenge though. To be continuted?... ;)

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Archived