Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Robert the "Midiot"

rhrocker

Guys, I'm attempting to locate some Midi files to download to use with my BIAB program. I'm interested in 1940's war era songs, like Moonlight Serenade, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company C, I'll be seeing you in a the old familiar places (probably not the name of that song)etc. Can anyone guide me in the right direction for this? If not Midi files, what about a source where I can get the chords for older tunes, then I'll enter them in BIAB.

Thanks!

Robert

just makin dem wood chips hea in South Texas

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, lets not beat this one to death :(

I think I can find some sites. If any of you do have any ideas, please send me a email.

Thanks!

Robert

Robert,

I have no idea about MIDI files, but you might try an online search in Google to see what you can find.

Do you have a Fake Book? They're usually FULL of songs from the thirties, forties, and fifties. This is the era of the "standards," which at still standard jazz fare today, no pun intended. You can find fake books at larger music stores, sheet music dealers, and even some larger book stores like Borders or Barnes and Noble.

Good luck!!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Thanks Dan! There's a Borders in San Antonio, about 2 hours away. I'll buzz over there Sat and see what I can find. I'll also take a list of CD's you guys have been raving about and try to find some.

Originally posted by rhrocker:

Thanks Dan! There's a Borders in San Antonio, about 2 hours away. I'll buzz over there Sat and see what I can find. I'll also take a list of CD's you guys have been raving about and try to find some.

Robert,

I don't know about Texas, but up here, the CD prices at Borders are kind of steep. You might get better deals ordering from Amazon or CD Now .

You might be able to spot a fake book at Amazon, too, but I'm not certain.

Check out Scher Music's web site:

http://www.schermusic.com

The have some good fake books in different styles - they call them "Real Books" for reasons that aren't clear to me. Some good bass books, too. Ed F. recommends their Cuban Bass Book enthusiastically.

I've order from all three merchants before (Scher, Amazon, CD Now) and I've had great service from all of them. Being as remote as you are, think of the money and time you can save by ordering online! :D

Thanks Dan, I'll check them all out! However, going into San Antonio also means stopping by Mars and fooling around with their stuff (not that I'd buy anything else right now, I just like to fool around with THEIR stuff). :cool:

Hey! Thanks a lot, that really helps. I've already found several of the songs I was looking for, using that link just now.

Robert

Originally posted by rhrocker:

Thanks Dan, I'll check them all out! However, going into San Antonio also means stopping by Mars and fooling around with their stuff (not that I'd buy anything else right now, I just like to fool around with THEIR stuff). :cool:

There's an etiquette to jamming at the music store, you know. First, be sure to turn the amp up REALLY LOUD. Make sure you slap everything you play, even the fingerstyle lines. Choose songs that are too difficult for you to play cleanly and then play them really fast. You'll blend right in. :D:D:D

There's an etiquette to jamming at the music store, you know. First, be sure to turn the amp up REALLY LOUD. Make sure you slap everything you play, even the fingerstyle lines. Choose songs that are too difficult for you to play cleanly and then play them really fast. You'll blend right in.

Dan, great ideas! I'll print these and and take them to Mars Sat so that I don't miss anything :D:D:D:D

Dan,

I'm surprised that someone with your knowledge, style, and grace would describe the "store experience" in that way.

You left out that you must keep a smug look on your face, ignore everyone except the 5 friends (3 guys, 2 girls), buy nothing, interupt the sales people (sales people - that's a whole other story), complain that the equipment you've tried sucks ( as in "did you hear how bad that stuff sounded") so that everyone knows that the equipment is the problem, and try to wear leather in the summer, smell like tobacco, and don't wash for a day or so....

C'mon Dan - you know better.

:D

Now, excuse me while I roll in dirt to prepare for a visit to GC and Sam's Ass..

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived