Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Build bass from scratch (almost)

rhrocker

Originally posted by rhrocker:

Tom, I bought a cover plate from StewMac, however I may make a 1/8" plate from mesquite. That's still several days off. I also bought a battery compartment, but I'm not sure I like the idea of a plastic cover on the bass.

Since those covers go on the back, it doesn't really show. Still, if you want it perfect front and back, make your own !!

I like the idea of the BassRocker! May make one for my den. I'll need both left and right handed basses for the sides. You could sit in the rocker with your hands dangling down the sides playing all you wanted.
I hadn't considered left and right - that's a great idea, so the longer horn would be behind the back, with the shorter horn in front. I guess I was thinking either two equal horns, or really small horns. And I wasn't thinking of playable basses, just the shape, fingerboard, etc. - no metal parts...

To show you how sick I am, I'm considering making a mesquite bass with the body in the shape of Texas. Can be part of my "Tacky Texan" Series. Actually the design works on the drawing board, and may just be gaudy enough to be sellable. :D
With the north-most part extending to be the neck? Why not?

Clearly you're having too much fun ;)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say, this thread's been very 3 years ago, I started on my own electric guitar...

I got as far as bandsaw cutting out the blank from a BEAUTIFUL piece of hard rock curly maple... but life played it's tricks.. I got pre-occupied, and that's where I left off on construction.

But after reading this.. I think it's time to dig it back out and hack off the neck (I was going to try to attempt a 1-piece at the time.. and was nowhere near ready for something of that magnitude)...

Assuming I get to the staining stage.. what are some favorite colors around here? Transparent Green's always been a favorite of mine, but I definitely don't want to ruin such a piece of wood.

Guess I've got lots of time to think about that though :freak:

This forum has already paid off in the week I've been here (I had quite a hassle trying to get registered.

Thanks guys

...simply stating.

go rocker, go!

gold looks really slick on natural wood. it also looks pretty killer on blue.

as for favorite colors, blue, purple and green are my favorite stain colors. it helps that i get really killer gel stains in those colors :P

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Where to put pickups! I received my set of Seymour-Duncan APB-1's yesterday, and was ready to route the body of the bass. I contacted the compay to get a measurement of where to route, but was told that since these are for replacing other pickups in other basses, the holes are already there, and that they didn't have that info available. One of the emails from them stated to go find a P-bass, and measure it for what I needed. Well, Ok. However, I'm wondering is someone on the list may have an answer. This is the style of pickup where there are two pickups, one sitting right next to the other, but offset from each other. (both are staggered to cover the area of the 4 strings.) I think what I need is a measurement from the nut to the first pickup, then the amount suggested to stagger the two pups.

Thanks!

RH

just makin dem wood chips hea in South Texas

Originally posted by Bastid E:

as for favorite colors, blue, purple and green are my favorite stain colors. it helps that i get really killer gel stains in those colors

That's another question - Where is a good place to begin looking for NICE stains for maple?

Preferably a transparent blue or green....

Can't wait to see some 'work-in-progress' pics rhrocker!

...simply stating.

Archived