Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightwave optical pickup

KikkyMonk

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I requested information on the lightwave bass several months ago, all I got was a stuoid little brochure that didn't have as much info as the web site. Someone from lightwave sent me an email that said that the basses are now available, so you can order one new if that is what you want, but you can't play it at the local Guitar Center (I quickly lost interest in them, they are too hard to get for the time being). Maybe in a few years they will be more accessable. Just thought I would share that little experince with you :)

BNC

i actually played one a few months ago at gc,i think i remember it sounding kind of like a piezo, it was weird though without a pickup to put my thumb on though, but my thumbs are double jointed which makes it really convenient for me to have a thumbrest
if you can't cut it on four, don't touch five

I haven't owned one, but I've played a few. It seems there are two generations of Lightwave.

The first generation had a very modern sound - lots of highs and lows - but not a very "Fender" or traditional sound. I did NOT have much time in the shop to try to get that sound out of the amp (it may have been there). I thought it was OK. Zon is the most common bass maker using Lightwave - that's who's bass I played.

The second generation has circuitry added to alter the sound and make it "dirtier" without the magnetic hum and hiss. It sounds better, but I only saw that model on one bass (not a Zon, but Dammann Vertical).

It hasn't taken off well, and I'm not sure whether there's something wrong that didn't show up with my limited experience, or if it's just tough to get people to change...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I played it on a fretless zon. Love it. Definitely a whole new spectrum of tones to play with and I have never heard a better defined B string. It really brought out transient sounds without thinning out the overall body. REALLY cranked out the boom. However, I don't know how durable they are...

• 4 years later...
Originally posted by BNC:

I requested information on the lightwave bass Maybe in a few years they will be more accessable.

BNC

Are they more accessible now? Certainly not main stream.

The technology intrigues me. What sort of price, generally, are basses with the optical pups?

P.S. I have searched, but not a lot of comment here about type of pups. just out of interest,

anyone had recent experience??

MUSIC is food for the soul

Archived