Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If I was persuaded to switch......

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although the Apple XServe would be ideal for a studio facility, sharing audio between rooms, letting clients upload and download audio securely, and other server-type tasks, it would be far from ideal for an individual musician. Any other Mac might be suitable depending on the way a person works. The new G4 Powerbooks can drive the Cinema Display as a 'second' monitor, and they have a built-in CD burner. Add a MOTU Firewire audio box, and you're stylin'. That's just one way to go... But, the original question was, 'If I was persuaded to switch...'. Give us some more information about how you do music, your wish list, whatever, and we can chip in the ol' $.02 worth. Randy (a cross-platform but usually Mac using guy)

Great looking box! Too bad Apple is FAR too late to enter the server game. I highly doubt anyone is going to shell out $3000 for a 1GHZ server. But it still might make a great addition to studios wanting rackmounted Mac's.

[quote]Originally posted by RandyH: [b]Although the Apple XServe would be ideal for a studio facility, sharing audio between rooms, letting clients upload and download audio securely, and other server-type tasks, it would be far from ideal for an individual musician.[/b][/quote]Randy, I must strongly beg to differ. I personally have been asking Apple guys, whenever I ran into one who had some juice, to make a rack mount Mac for years. So if we deal with the design of the machine from that aspect first, regardless if it's a server or not, it has already satisfied a need I have. How much rackmount ability is worth to me governs my decision to purchase. At $3000 retail (current price) for the base box I end up with a rackmount machine I can fully customize and reconfigure without taking it out of the rack. That saves a gang of headaches right there. Depending how it’s configured the Xserver can drive any type of monitor and, use various drives in the front bays and, those can be set up to hot swap SCSI drives if you want. Another big thing with me is that my current system uses a PCI card, this machine has 2 full length PCI slots and one half length slot, USB, and FireWire. I think Dillweed may have a point however, if your business, or presence on the web consists of tons of multimedia that has been [b]created using Macs[/b], a server that is a Mac that can talk to any other machine might be something you’d need. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Dillweed, no offense, but Apple has been making servers for quite some time, just not one on this level, nor were they nearly as well designed or thought out as these appear to be. In the context of adding an XServe to a studio, it makes total sense. It comes pre-loaded with tons of useful stuff that is undustry standard, a great warranty, a slick design, a rock solid OS, etc, etc... Compaq, (just one example) which has been making servers for many moon, has also been having financial probs, and I have purchased a couple series of their servers that were absolute crap (2 separate Prosignia's). I have a Proliant 3000 and 2 1600's that rock, but if I drop in 1 XServe, I can replace them ALL. I think many people are either not understanding or realizing the significance of OSX. This puts Apple right back in the 'big game' They built it on unix, which is VERY widely used and supported. They essentially looked at what was preventing Linux from getting the Joe/Jane Average user to use Linux and fixed it. This a major oversimplification, of course, but OSX and the subsequent products are very relevant from the standpoints of value, security (more NT based security probs were announced today). I continue to be impressed with most of what Apple has rolled out over the past year. I think alot of users and sys admins are just sick of Microsofts Bugs (btw, I run mostly Netware, but several NT servers as well....), license fee rapage and overall Windows BS. If Apple keep releasing products like this that are well received, the MS stuff could fade fast. So....I want one.. :) ...make mine the dualie with 2 GB ram please.. :)

I wouldn't mind having this but not for 8 grand.If someone were to buy it for me......... :D ,no I'm quite happy with my Athlon XP 1700/500mbDDR on 2K,no issues whatsoever,I just concentrate on music.But I am considering an Apple Powerbook w/Motu and DP for portability and change of pace.The sever setup would probably be awesome for a studio running PT/HD,but not necessary for a home setup,although it would be kinda cool to have something that looked the the monster in that old 50's sci fi classic "Kronos" for a DAW. :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Another thing dillweed is missing is the fact that since the OS is unix based the cpu's can work as a group. So "only 1ghz" really misleads someone who is ignorant about the potential computing power of a few of these bad dogs strung up together. Not to mention the superior architecture of the chip itself speed is not everything. Talcott

Ahh! Let us proclaim absolute truths.

Let us dishonor war, No...glorious war does not exist.

-Victor Hugo

http://www.composerguitarist.com

[quote]Originally posted by Talcott: [b]Not to mention the superior architecture of the chip itself speed is not everything. Talcott[/b][/quote]The part about the chips acting as one is absolutley correct,that's the way server machines are desinged.The second part may have been right a year ago but no more.The Athlon XP is nearly identical to the Motorola chip.Amd has had a licsencing agreement with Motorola since 1988 and the 2 have been working together and sharing technologies.Someone posted a link in Frangiones(3 months ago) section showing a comparison chart between the Athlon XP and Motorola and even I was surprised,their almost indetical.The XP has their own hybrid version of RISC based on Motorolas,and SSE-2 will be in the New T-Breds.I get the feeling the 2 companies are ganging up on Intel.Personally I don't really care about any of this stuff as far as the why's and wherfore's,just what kind of bang I can get for my home DAW buck,and after seeing the difference between my freinds G4's and my system in a native environment,I most certainly am.I think we are lucky that we have finally reached a platau where we can get an affordable system on either platform that allows us to have a fairly powerful studio in our home,with most stability issues out the window and past us.Now,aside from George Lucas, who will be the first to buy that "monster" for DAW? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Aha but the problem wtihtthat arguement is that the people making the chip are not also writing the software for said chip. So all of the benifits of writing for known hardware strenghs, and weaknesses are lost. Even if the chips were equal, and we could argue that one as long as we could religion, I seriously doubt Microsoft is attempting to write code specificly for the Athlon. :) Talcott

-Victor Hugo

Although I'm not a nerdy enough to confirm it,that's exactly one of the boasting point's of the new Amd XP, that code and support are fully supported in Window's XP.But again,bottom line for me is that Im not lacking in performance in a Native sytem by today's standards on either platform in any shape or form,plugin count,track count,stability ect.Also I started with a Commodore 64(DR T's),then to an Amiga,then to a Mac Performa and now a PC,I also work with freinds G4's and sometimes in the studio with PT ect.and I don't see power diminishing on either plarform,nor domination,just the opposite,I'm very happy with my system and it's capabilities DAW/wise ,so in the words of Stone Cold Steve Austin "That's the bottom line".I really didn't intend for this thread to be a Mac/PC or an AMD/XP Motorola thing,just the merits of X-Sever for DAW use.

I realize that and wouldn't want to argue PCvsMac. I learned on PC's starting on My Dads 286, until I ordered my Mac from my pentium box. :thu: And yes both are relatively equivalent in power. And yes fabulous music can be made either way,or a third, fourth,fifth way etc etc..... I have just been so stoked at how little I have to fook around with the computer to make it work that I have become a fan. :) As far as this chip being supported fully or not I don't know. But being fully supported, and having an OS entirely dedicated to hardware compatibility are two different things. Yes? :D Talcott

-Victor Hugo

I guess it would.With Win 98se I did have to make a lot of tweaks.But these days I don't have to do anything either but concentrate on music.In someways it's boring because I've become so accustomed to tweaking ect.that I find myself coming up with hairbrained ideas like trying to rewrite nuendo and sonar and combine the best features of both,or coming up with a way to get rid of the explorer in 2K/XP ect.I guess it's my nature to not leave well enough alone and to tear something apart when it's working flawlessly.But seriously though,I don't see how it's possible that my chip and DAW software(Sonar/Nuendo)could perform any better except for even more power,and maybe SSE-2 when enough plugs on this side(PC) are written for it.It would be very interesting to see the X-Server in a DAW setting though.Since all the CPU's are acting as one, the software should be able to work no problem.It would be even more monsterous to have 2 clusters of CPu's,1 for plugs and 1 for other duties.Maybe some former synclavier owners will be first on their block.With the new Waves plugs upping the quality ante(and cpu usage)maybe we'll live to see the day to see some Mix Farm cards in Beverly Hill's Dumpster's. :D :D :D

Archived