Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

some info on G&L basses

Jay J.

I recently put another post about possibly getting a musicman or warwick bass. a person (wickerman I believe) recomended that I try a

G&L L1505 bass, and I did and really like it. and the store bass North West has them for a real good deal right now. just looking for some more opinions on this bass.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree they are good basses but I still prefer my Warwick. I set up a new EBMM5 the other day that could best be described as a DOG. Roughly made and felt cheap. Having said that I have played some Warwicks like that lately too. It seems to me that some of the mid range manufacturers have slipped in their quality lately in an effort to stay price competitive. If you are listening guys - we would rather pay a little more and get a better bass!!!!
Hmmmmm...........

Likely it was Bastid E who recommended the G&L - he's their noisiest advocate around here ... any moment now, he'll be checkin' in to holler about how awesome they are.

(BTW - I agree with him).

If you're going with a "traditional" shape and feel (i.e. Fender, G&L, MM, etc.) you're going to be really happy with a G&L 5-string, I suspect. The G&Ls I've played are great-feeling basses, construction is awesome, looks cool (great colors and woods), and I've never heard anything but good about quality control and support from players.

There are definitely differences between MMs and GLs, but they're more subtle than between, say a Gibson and a Fender, Alembic and Tobias, etc. I think step one is the "big" stuff like body shape, weight, all the tone variables, and the neck ... at that stage, it makes sense to go brand by brand.

Some unsolicited thoughts here - once you're in a particular shape/style of bass, I think it really becomes a question of whether or not you like the INDIVIDUAL instrument. Not all MM and G&Ls are the same, and you might pull out two of each and find you're not putting one "brand" above the other, but you're actually focusing on an individual thing about one bass over another (finish, color, undefinable mojo, etc.). Incidentally, this is why I think that, beyond general info, "shoot-outs" are kinda useless.

So ... the reason I ended up with the MM5 was that I found one in mint condition that played and sounded great, fit my hands, AND was used at a store that I really liked ... and at the time I couldn't find any G&Ls I liked better. But if I were looking for a fretted 5, I'd be looking just as hard for GLs as MMs.

Bottom line: If you played it and loved it (and youl like the dealer), the only reason NOT to get a G&L is that there's another bass you like better. At this stage, though - if you haven't narrowed down on which actual instrument (as opposed to brand), I'd probably start thinking in those terms about now.

bigjayxxl:

I agree with what's been said so far. Don't rule out looking at a G&L L2500. It's got two humbuckers instead of just one and can resonably do the MM, P, and J bass.

I own a 4 string version and it's just great. It is perfectly balanced and comfortable to wear.

Good luck on your decision!

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

I've owned 2 Warwicks, 1 Musicman, and I still own my G&L. I've had 5 G&L's total, and never had a single problem with them. I presently own an L-2500 and I love it. It's very solid, and stays in tune. The necks are more stable too. Plus the tonal versatility is great with them. :thu:

I'm a simple guy, and there's too much going on for me on some of the G&L models. That said, I had a chance to cut loose on their jazz model -- the JB-2 -- and loved it. Sounded great, felt great, the simplicity of the Vol-Vol-Tone passive electronics. I realize that it doesn't offer the variety of sounds that the 1500 or 2500 might, but nonetheless, it was a really sweet instrument.

BUT, I dig a nice humbucker and continue to love my MM Stingray 5 fretless!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by music-man:

Likely it was Bastid E who recommended the G&L - he's their noisiest advocate around here ... any moment now, he'll be checkin' in to holler about how awesome they are.

(BTW - I agree with him).

yup, 'twas i.

as i said on the other post i was in the market for a mm and just barely couldn't afford it. while trying to get a deal out of the salesman he recommended the G&L. it played just like the mm, only tighter which i loved. it felt better in my hands and the tonal versatility was the best i'd ever heard. i can't imagine how having a second humbucker on there would be a bad thing, but for the money one pup was more than enough tone and flexibility for me.

and hey, if i say enough about them, maybe someone from G&L will see it and i'll get one. :wave:

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Well if Bastid E is the most vocal G&L fan around here, you can count me as the quietest. I have probably posted this little story a gazillion tiimes over the years and everyone is probably thinking "OH NO...WE GOTTA HEAR IT AGAIN...", here goes...

When I finally...after waiting 26 years...got my Series I back in '97, I sold 9 basses, keeping one for sentimental and backup reasons. I sold Carvins, Warmoths, a Paul Darin, and I forget what else. The ONLY ONE I regret selling to this day was an '81 or '82 L2000E with a mahogany body.

What a bass that was...

Originally posted by AlembicKoa:

I have probably posted this little story a gazillion tiimes over the years and everyone is probably thinking "OH NO...WE GOTTA HEAR IT AGAIN...", here goes...

0ops; sorry AK - I guess the G&L part of that story was lost on me in the storm of your true love ... which needs no further mention here.

At a certain age, perhaps we all begin to romanticize the one(s) that got away.

thanks for the advice, I just noticed that bass north west is having a special sale on G&L basses and it is looking pretty tempting so I think I'm going to pick one up, now I just have to decide on a color but that won't be too hard.

Originally posted by Bastid E:

clear emerald over maple with the maple neck. get one of those and post pics so i can sigh longingly about what could've been. :cry:

[friend across the bar speaks up]:

Don't worry pal - there are other fish out there for ya. So she got away, did she? Well, ya figure by now, on that one the neck's probably twisted, chips in the finish, loose pot-knobs, badly in need of a fretjob ... oops, I can see I'm not helping here.

What music-man was saying brought something to mind:

Does anyone else get the feeling that the knobs on G&Ls are kinda cheap? Other basses I've owned have smoother travel with a little more resistance.

It's really minor. Actually, it's the only negative thing I could say about G&Ls. Everything else is fantastic! Even down to the oversized strap buttons.

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

for me getting the L1505 is a bit of a stretch but I believe I have the money and I do need a good bass to take on the road with me this summer. the L2500 is $100 dollars more and would be a pretty good stretch for me, but if it really is a lot better than I think I might just take the plunge and go for it. but if the L1505 is going to be real close than I wouldn't minde saving myself some money.

Archived