Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what kind of bass does justin from tool use

Jay J.

I am woundering if anyone knows what kind of bass and rig justin of tool uses. they have some awesome bass sounds on their songs and I am just woundering what kind of gear he uses. if anyknow know I would appreciate it. I dont want to know this for any particular reason other than pure curiosity.

thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mro:

I believe he uses a Wal bass with Mesa Boogie Amps. There was an article on Justin in Bass Player a little while ago. His gear was covered in detail.

Yeah your right, he uses like one Wal bass for everything except on the song 'Laturalus' he used a fretless for the second part of the song.
"But she dies.....just like suicide"

Yes, I'm their biggest fan! You can see him on the Wal site. And bassplayer did give away his whole set up just a while back. I have been a fan for a long time and have to give props to Paul D'amore from the other albums(he left during the making of Aenima) but Justin and the guys seem to make a perfect circle. I got to see them this past U.S. tour and their sound is engineered by smart people. The opening band had some sound problems but tool seemed to make that echoey arena work well. Anyone will tell you how much you can feel that bass in the mix! Basspatient that is the sweetest picture. I want one of those. Practicing with that album has been a very good tool for me. Odd time signatures, locking in with one of the most amazing drummers, blending with the beautiful vocals of maynard, and the effects. Besides chorus,delay, he uses a whammy sometimes, proco rat distortion,flange, and maybe an eq. Anyways it is a great setup.
"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

Archived