Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

five string bass on a budget

Jay J.

I am currently in school and don't have much money. I would really like to get a 5-string bass but I don't have the money to buy a warwick thumb or a musicman. I am looking for some suggestions about good basses that cost around 700. cheaper is better. I know I am not going to be able to get the best bass but I would like to get the best one I can find for the money. just looking for suggestions.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just at the Carvin showroom and they have a decent 5 (active Jazz style pick ups, Bolt on, White,alder body and I think a rosewood neck) on sale for $399. (My buddy told me he'd throw in a case if I bought it today!)I don't know if it's on their website but as of friday it was in stock (Red Tag Sale). In the past I've been hard on Carvin gear so I was skeptical but for that price I thought I should get over myself and check it out. Plays fine and sounds fine. I would buy it but I made the mistake of picking up the more expensive models and I could hear how much nicer they sound. I have since convinced myself to spend more when I do buy a 5. But hey for $399. I promise you can't go wrong with this guy.

$700 gets you a lot of bass these days-

theres the Lakland Skyline 55- 01

the MTD Heir and Kingston- all woderful basses

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I just got an MTD Kingston Heir and I can't say enough good things about it! It's an incredibly well designed insrument, and it's got a great sound. All for $600 inlcluding tax.. and you might be able to beat that! It's worth every penny... try one out!

Regards,

~Griff

As mentioned in another thread, the ESP 305 and the Tobias Toby Pro Deluxe are pretty good.

I'm fascinated by the Reverend Rumblefish 5...but I've never played one. I've thought about buying one sight unseen just to try it out because of all the press.

Perhaps someone here has experience with it....?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I'm still floored by what Lakland is able to put out in the Skyline series for such low prices (street prices are WAY below list on these, btw); they've definitely raised the bar. The MIM Fender Deluxe 5 also seems like a great bass, & can be had cheap; can't touch the Skyline, though, imho.

BassPlayer did a shootout of basses under $1000; it's still in their "gear" section at the archive. I think they were 4-strings, but it should still be useful for ball-parking the 5s.

I am woundering where I can find a tobias toby pro 5 bass. I have never seen one before. an internet site would be a start if anyone knows who sells them. I was also thinking about the schecter tom delong 5 string. it looks kinda cool too but have never heard much about em.

You can find Toby-s at MusicYo! .com It's a Gibson Company Website. The Toby's all come with an 'Armorwear' bag, helpful for shipping. They're pretty fast, too. I ordered my gear on 9/8 (a Saturday), they shipped Monday, got delayed by the whole 9/11 incident and had it in my hands on Saturday 9/15. They also have Steinberger-s, Talk about freaky! You know 'em when you see 'em; that's for sure! Good Luck, God Bless, and Keep Jammin' for Jesus! <{{{>< :thu:
Feel the POWER, the Rumble. Was that an earthquake?! No, it's just my BASS!

Archived