Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio monitors - not Ref. monitors

What are some good choices for studio monitors. Not reference monitors for the control room but good sounding boxes to put in the studio (tracking)room. My control room is a little crowded for me AND five or six bandmates just to gather to hear the last take. Plus it would speed up the tracking process if everybody didn't have to unstrap their instruments and make the treck into the control room after each take. You know how it is, they don't want to just listen over the phones. Or maybe they just enjoy the experience of the control room vibe with the equip. racks, console, the cool glow of the video monitors, etc. Sure seems to eat up a lot of time. Any suggestions? medford

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In our lounge we have a basic kenwwod receiver with a control room feed (converted for -10dbu input) and a KLH system with a sub. It sounds very good, is very middle of the road average consumer, and clients love it. In the studio we have a pair of Community wedges for playback. Usually the clients listen back to tracks on the cans, but occaisionally they will want pb throught the wedges. we use them often for guitarists overdubbing as well, to give them a better feel than using headphones. Just feed em the stereo track and let them crank. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Thanks guys. Yep, playback is all I'm doing with this and not sonic perfection. They just need to hear the performance and be able to talk to each other without the isolation of the headphones. I have a pair of EV Eliminators w/subs I might use. May be a little overkill but what the hell, it will be fun. medford :thu:

You could find a good pair of cabs at the pawn shop, or classified, etc., and take 'em to a local speaker guy- have the speakers replaced w/ whatever is good and reasonable. I did this recently, and really got hooked up!

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived