Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking to expand my musical knowledge

Jay J.

I've taken lessons on and off for while. I have found that when it comes to things like theory I can often do better with a good book so I can try to get things down and then go to some lessons with questions about the things I need help with. I currently have "mel bays book of bass essentials by bunny brunel" I am looking to add to my book collection and if anyone could recomend something that they found to be a good book and have useful info in it.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel Bay makes excellent books for the beginner and intermediate player. Mike Hiland used to write for Bass Player magazine years ago and writes excellent books for rock and blues.

Ed Friedland , who also writes for Bass Player also writes excellent books that cover many topics. Ed also used to be the moderator for this forum and sometimes drops by for a visit.

If you're into jazz, check out Jamey Aebersold . In addition to the play-along books, there are companion books with the transcribed bass lines of greats such as Rufus Reid.

I like books that have play-along CDs so I can hear what I'm reading :P

There are a lot more great authors out there, but these guys will easily keep you busy for a few years.

---

Chris Hardin

Chris Hardin

Archived