Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass instructional materials

Blues Disciple

I am returning to playing bass after many years. I have started playing bass and keys in our church Praise band. But what little chops I had are still rusty and I really need to improve what chops I do have. What would you recommend as far as instructional books and/or videos I can self study with to improve my bass playing skills/speed/dexterity, etc.?

Any suggestions also for finger/hand exercises and so on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Blues Disciple:

Any suggestions also for finger/hand exercises and so on?BD

Hello

You don't mention anything in regards to your previous level when you stopped playing or what discipline you are after now[rock,jazz,funk,pop,slap,etc]

Todays books are very specialized. An overall good technique book is Alexis Sklarevski's Bass techniques (MI publishing)

On the other hand and before any purchases I simply recommend recordig stuff you like from the radio [or downloding it from the web] and see what styles are blooming today and then figure out how to get there.

Abraham Laboriel plays a lot of praise music and his work on Ron Kenoly's recordings is amazing. Check him out too!

"Word to your mother"

I'll second the Abraham Laboriel recommendation. Ron Kenoly has a video called "High Places" and Abraham is great on that as well. There's one song - I think it's Give to the Lord - where he has a bass solo and he starts jumping around and just hitting the bass - I don't know how to describe it - some kind of Pete Townsend windmill slap thing - he really gets into it.

Another cool tune on the video is Mourning into Dancing where he doubles the (fast)intro melody with the flute player.

Hi BD,

Greetings from a Kiwi P & W bassist. I know how hard it is to pick up your bass after a lay off. I didn't play seriously for 5 years until I became born again in '86. I struggled through and am now 10 times the player I was when I was a "pro".

If you want tuition materials check these out: http://www.normstockton.com/ I haven't seen them but Abe Laboriel recommends them and they are directed to what you want to do.

Hmmmmm...........

I'll second the Norm Stockton P&W video. I haven't purchased it but I know some folks who have it and it is awesome. The Abe Laboriel video is also great. Abe smokes! Both these guys are really blessed and are a blessing to the bass community, Church Bassers or not.

You may also want to check out the ChurchBass mailing list. Lots of tips and info on playing in church. If you do a search on www.google.com you'll find the URL. Great bunch of men and women who love the low end for the Lord. I'm more of a lurker nowadays while I try to get some other things off the ground.

There are also some great sites for praise and worship sheet music (and the dredded tab) to help you get up to speed on some of the contemporary songs and styles.

Welcome to the Low Down Lowdown and keep Praisin' Him!

RobT

:D

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Archived