Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear questions?

Metal_Boy16

I would like some opinions on Warwick amps and cabinets. Anyone whos played through one, please post your thoughts on it. I would also like some opinions on Zon basses, specifically their Sonus series 6- string. Any comment and thoughts are welcome!
"If only I had HIS chops!"

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metal_Boy...

You ask a tough question. It's a wierd world...go find your place in it by sitting in all the music stores and playing everything they have. :D

I've no idea what Warwick amplification sound like. My personal point of view is that...even though I do not care for them...Warwick makes a helluva bass. A helluva BASS. Why they are in the amplification biz is beyond my last two lowly brain cells.

Joe Zon is about a 110% human being. He makes great basses. Play them. They may not be "you". He will understand that. If you decide you like graphite, Joe is the guy to go with...IMHO.

And...by the way...go buy your soul back. It ain't worth it... ;)

brace yourself, steve. i'm going to be a smart ass at your expense again. :)

instead of dodge your question with the old "find your sound using whatever it takes" answer, i'm going to tell you what i know about warwick amps and cabs.

whenever i go to elderly music (one of the finest music stores in the world), i play a bunch of basses through the warwick quad VI head with a warwick 4x10 (i don't remember whether it's a 410 or 411).

what i love about this setup is its clean, but not hi-fi sound. it has two mid controls, each with two center frequencies. all four mid frequencies are well-voiced, and the bass and treble controls are also well-placed. furthermore, it has deep and bright switches for further tone absurdities.

everything i plug into the quad VI head sounds great. between the head's tone controls and those of the bass (both active and passive sound good), i can find any tone i want. strangely enough, though, i don't think warwick basses sound as good through warwick amps as they do through other amplifiers.

since i've always been so pleased with the sounds, i've been trying to get my local warwick dealer to get some warwick amplifiers in. i want to try the quadruplet preamplifier. i think it will sound great with my crown K2.

robb.

Archived