Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaker Questions...

Metal_Boy16

Is it possible to hookup two 1x18 cabinets and one 4x10 cabinet to a consiberable powerful amp??? What about two 1x15 cabinets, with a 4x10 cabinet? How about a 2x15 single enclosure, with a 4x10 cabinet? Do they make 25 inch speaker enclosures, like they do for car stereos??? If they do, who does, for how much, and where can I find one? Oh, and how are Warwick cabinets and amps? Please give me full, complete info on all of these questions.
"If only I had HIS chops!"

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

metalboy:

It all depends on the minimum load of your head and the rating of the cab.

If all of your cabs are 8 ohm cabs, and the minimum load on your head is 2 ohms, then you can do any combination of three 8 ohm cabs.

Here are some common ohm combinations:

8 ohm + 8 ohm = 4 ohm load

8 ohm + 8 ohm + 8 ohm = 2.67 ohm load

4 ohm + 4 ohm = 2 ohm load

Pushing a load less than the minimum rating for your amp can cause damage to your equipment and is most likely not covered by your warranty.

hth

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

600 watts is plenty of power,BUT! make sure the ohms is correct,if the amp you are looking/using is rated @ 600watts at 4 ohms min. and you hook up speakers totaling 2 ohms most likely the amp will not last long. good-luck :thu:
i know alot but dont know everything.. :D

Let me reinforce what Dougray is saying.

If you are intending to hook up all three cabs (all 8 ohms) to the amp, then you need an amp with a 2.67 ohm minimum load.

I've got an amp with a minimum load of 2.67. Other players on this board would not dream of pushing a 2.67 load with the same amp, even though the manufacturer says it can handle it.

So, with that perspective, you may want to get an amp that handles a minimum of a 2 ohm load.

The general rule of thumb with bass cabs is that you can generally pump in twice the watts that the cab is rated for RMS. In your case, that maximum watts to a single cab would be 800. You are not gonna find a head that will pump that much wattage into three cabs. And, you don't need one.

With a small club, I can pump 125 watts into a single 15" cab and get plenty of volume. Of course, I'm not competing with Marshall Stacks.

With the cabs you describe, all being 8 ohm, the watts being pumped out will be divided equally between your cabs.

So, if you get an SWR Bass 350, the wattage being pumped out will be somewhere around 400 watts. Therefore, there will be about 130 watts reaching each of your cabs.

If you get an SWR Bass 750, the wattage being pumped out is 850 watts. Therefore, there will be about 283 watts being pumped into each cab.

Keep in mind, there are a number of players here who believe that you should never need more than 300 watts in an amp. There's another formula out there, too. Add up the wattage of the guitar amps you are competing with and then......I can't remember if it's doubling it or tripling it. It's one of those two. So, if your band has two guitar players, both with 100 watt stacks, then your would need around 400-600 watts.

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

Archived