Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Stack?

Metal_Boy16

I'm going to buy a stack soon. I'm either going with Ampeg, Trace Elliot, SWR, Carvin, or Peavey. All the stacks are 500-1200 watts amp, 4x10s, and 1x18. But the Ampeg and Peavey are 8x10s. Which stack should I go with? I'm looking for a durable, long lasting stack with deep bass, punchy mids, clear highs, and lots of power. I'll be playing heavy metal, hard rock, hard punk, and reggae through it. I looked at all the stacks total prices, each stack coming around $1,200-$4,000. Which stack would be the best for my playing?

:confused:

Any and all comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome.

"If only I had HIS chops!"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey man.....ya gotta follow your ears and wallet !

$1500- $4000 is quite a vast dollar range....

...all the mf's you listed are cool....with Carvin and Peavey on the lesser $$ end of the spectrum... but still decent stuff these days.

Try 'em out !!

PJR

Originally posted by Peter J Romano:

Hey man.....ya gotta follow your ears and wallet ! PJR

Very true. If it were my $$$$ I'd spend it on the SWR. I've owned a Trace rig, but for deep lows, punchy mids, and crisp highs, I feel SWR is the way to go from the 4 listed. I was in a metal band for a few years, and found the SWR stuff cut through very well. It also has a very definitive clarity that doesn't get bled out in the mix by overdriven guitars etc. But like Paul said, follow the ears and the wallet.

Thanks for the comments!

The Peavey is $2,100.(low frequency response for a 8x10! 30-6000)

The Carvin is $1,200. (34-6000)

The Ampeg is $2,200. (38-6500)

The Trace Elliot is $4,000.(32-6000)

The SWR is $3,500.(32-6000)

All stacks with an SPL between 94-102, with the Trace Elliot to 106.

I know that Trace Elliot is probably the best quality, sound, and power. :D

But all that comes at a price. I think I will either go with the SWR, the Peavey, or the Trace Elliot. By the way? Is it possible to hookup two 1x18 cabinets with one 4x10 cabinet to a consiberable powerful amp??? What about two 1x15 cabinets, with a 4x10 cabinet? How about a 2x15 single enclosure, with a 4x10 cabinet? :confused:

Also, I'm only 13. I will and do have a summer job till I'm 18. I calculated my earnings to be about $1,300 a year. I'm not ever going to use that money for anything else. I could buy that full Trace Elliot stack by the time I'm 16. I don't think money is a problem here, just choosing the right stack is. I'm just getting all the choosing done before hand, so I don't have to make the time-consuming choice when I'm 16, or when my band is pressuring me to upgrade to match the guitarrist's stack.

Metal_Boy13, keep saving that money, by the time your're ready to do your purchase there may be other cabs available that are even more attractive to you then. It's great that you have set a goal and can envision what you intend to do with it a few years down the road.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by Metal_Boy13:

Thanks for the comments!

The Peavey is $2,100.(low frequency response for a 8x10! 30-6000)

The Carvin is $1,200. (34-6000)

The Ampeg is $2,200. (38-6500)

The Trace Elliot is $4,000.(32-6000)

The SWR is $3,500.(32-6000)

All stacks with an SPL between 94-102, with the Trace Elliot to 106.

I know that Trace Elliot is probably the best quality, sound, and power. :D

But all that comes at a price. I think I will either go with the SWR, the Peavey, or the Trace Elliot. By the way? Is it possible to hookup two 1x18 cabinets with one 4x10 cabinet to a consiberable powerful amp??? What about two 1x15 cabinets, with a 4x10 cabinet? How about a 2x15 single enclosure, with a 4x10 cabinet? :confused:

Also, I'm only 13. I will and do have a summer job till I'm 18. I calculated my earnings to be about $1,300 a year. I'm not ever going to use that money for anything else. I could buy that full Trace Elliot stack by the time I'm 16. I don't think money is a problem here, just choosing the right stack is. I'm just getting all the choosing done before hand, so I don't have to make the time-consuming choice when I'm 16, or when my band is pressuring me to upgrade to match the guitarrist's stack.

I won't suggest you ignore mfr. specs, but I'd place less emphasis on those figures. Unfortunately, the rule on such specs is that there are no rules ;) and the truth is that those frequency figures are not flat from bottom to top. There are variations of 3-5db at the very least, and you'd be surprised what a difference there is when the drop is 3db as opposed to 5db from 100 to 50hz.

Also, these rigs have different sound characters, and I think it is better to focus on their flavors and capabilities, as well as how they sound in the mix. TONE IS WHERE IT IS AT, NOT VOLUME! You're better to research by trying to hear these rigs in action, and not just at the local music store. Forums like this and others are a great place to lurk and listen to opinions, and not just what is said but who is saying it; we all come from different places and have different personal preferences and experiences. A lot of the net seems to be "X is the BEST AMP!!" spoken by a guy who has only ever owned "x" and played it in his bedroom. That's not a put-down, just reality, and advice from an old coot with a little experience at making his own mistakes over the year. :rolleyes:

You may want to pick up smaller rigs along with way with your earnings, try to get good deals so you can trade up at a later date. This way you will not only have more of your own valuable experience which you can apply to future gear decisions, but you'll have something to play with other musicians along the way, so when you have the bucks to invest in a bigger rig IF you need it, you'll also have the group contacts and experience to contribute to a group of musicians.

Good luck!

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

$2100 for a Peavey 8x10 is really high. I have one that I got for $900. Coincidentally, it's for sale and in near perfect condition. It is made to the same specs as Eden and SWR. I was running a Mesa/Boogie 400+ through it and it took everything I could throw at it. It's a very versatile cabinet. I play the same style you're talking about and it never gave out on me.

Thanks for your advice Bob. I will consider upgrading with smaller rigs till I'm ready for a big "gig playing" rig. Couldn't I just buy one of the SWR, Carvin, or Trace Elliot 4x10 cabinets and amp? I could use that till I'm ready for a full stack, which then I would buy the 1x18 to add to my rig. For the comment of the "X best amp"... I have played all of those full stacks. I have heard all of them! I have listen to all of them (me and my friends went to music stores and have tried each of these stacks. It was sort of a mission. Seriously...it was really fun :thu: ) I have listened to each stack, and screwed around with their controls tested there capabilities, etc. I honestly think that the Peavey, SWR and Trace Elliot sounded the best. I'm not asking what the best amp is, I'm looking for what would sound good with my kind of music, and something to be heard well with a 4x12 Marshall guitar stack.

Any comments, question, or answers are still welcome!

I'd suggest if you're looking at Carvin, look at the Redline head that comes with a 1x18 and a 4x10. RL1018 is the ID # It'll still have enough low end to knock the stupid guitarists with Marshall stacks over! :evil: Anyway. I really like Ampeg. They're really versatile and well made.

One note for consideration:

If you go with a Trace Elliot rig, be sure you can get it repaired from a local dealer. We had one come through our store a while back, and it was hell trying to find a place that could get us parts to fix it. Gibson was the distributor for Trace, but do not handle parts(or didn't at the time we called).

Is it possible to hookup two with one 1x18 cabinets 4x10 cabinet to a consiberable powerful amp??? What about two 1x15 cabinets, with a 4x10 cabinet? How about a 2x15 single enclosure, with a 4x10 cabinet? Do they make 25 inch speaker enclosures, like they do for car stereos??? If they do, who does, for how much, and where can I find one? Please give me full, complete info on all of these questions.

Also, what about Warwick stacks? Are they good. I was thinking their 2x15+2x10 enclosure, The Terminator, with one of their 4x10 cabinets, the 411 PRO. Could I go with 2 Terminator cabinets? How would that sound with a SWR, Trace Elliot, or Ampeg amp around 1000 watts? It would come out to about $2500-$4000, depending on the amp. Please also answer my previous Reply Post in this topic.

Archived