Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Home Studio Craig Anderton

Hey, I was just wondering if you had ever done an indept review on products like Homestudio, or guitar tracks. I have read the product description on the cakewalk page, but I still don't know which on is for me. Their is a big price difference, and not that I want to be cheap or anthing, I just don't want to spend the money for something I won't use. Like the ability to work with Acid files, I don't mess with acid files. The ability to record multiple tracks simultaneously. I am a budding songwriter ;) , so usually it is just me a guitar and a drum machine, I don't really see this as a limitation. What other features of Sonar would I miss with Home studio? and then guitar tracks, is midi the only thing I would be missing?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use Guitar Tracks Pro. I like it for what I'm doing, which is recording my guitar. I don't do MIDI, so no MIDI support in GT Pro is not a problem. It supports DirectX plug ins, and comes with some decent ones. There was a bug in GT Pro with importing ACIDized loops, but this has been fixed. If you're trying to record several tracks at once, or want to do MIDI, then GT Pro is not for you. If you're trying to record your guitar/bass and do some song writing, then it's a great place to start. If you decide later on that you need features in another Cakewalk product, you can always upgrade.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

The amp simulator is good, but limited. It's a "lite" version, so it only comes with two amp sims (Marshall and Fender, I think) and one or two speaker cab sims. It also includes a 9 band EQ and auto-wah. A lot of people think the distortion is too noisy. I use a Digitech GNX1, so I haven't done much with ReValver. I did use its speaker sims to bring some life to a track recorded through the line-out of a friend's Marshall practice amp. That worked better then I thought it would. If you go to ReValver's website (alienconnections.com, I think) you can download a demo. If you download the GT2 demo from Cakewalk, then you can try out ReValver.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

that's understood Craig, but you do write for a magazine, even though it is geared toward guitar players(guitartracks pro that is)but I am sure some of your readers may be interested in HomeStudio. Hey, I am one of your readers, hey I am interested.

Archived