Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amplified 2xbass

Wally Malone

Got my 2xbass around last Thanksgiving and have played it mostly at home, woodshedding before taking it out, and mostly unamplified. The first time I took it out was to one of the rehearsals for my bass band. I mostly play my six-string Alembic with that band since I do a lot of chording but that day all three of us brought our 2xbasses and played them together. I always take my Eden Metro to those rehearsals. I didn't like the way the 2xbass sounded, it was too hi-fi. The next time I took out the 2xbass I played a duo gig with a guitar player doing standards and played through my old Polytone Mini-Brute. Didn't like that either. It sounded OK but when I dug in the tone just wasn't there. Today at home I took some time and pulled out my GK800RB and hooked it up to an Eden 210XLT and rolled of the tweeter. Bingo, the sound I was looking for, much more natural. Next opportunity I have to take it out that will be the rig I take. FYI, I have a Turner UB-1 for my pickup. Anyone else gone through this when first starting the 2xbass? What did you try and what did you settle on?

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Anyone else gone through this when first starting the 2xbass? What did you try and what did you settle on?

Wally

Wally -

Not sure how relevant this is to your situation ... I have tried for a while to make my 800RB and Eden 210XLT sound natural with my acoustic cello ... no dice. I tried various preamp pedals and boxes, but haven't been very happy.

As for my fixes, I'm on the cusp of buying an Acoustic Image Contra. It may be the effect of the downward firing woofer that really makes it sound super-warm ...

What kind of pickup are you using in your 2xB?

Originally posted by music-man:

As for my fixes, I'm on the cusp of buying an Acoustic Image Contra. It may be the effect of the downward firing woofer that really makes it sound super-warm ...

I've had a Contra for over three years now (became a dealer last year) and really enjoy its ability to expand the sound of the bass instead of giving it a second voice. The amp is quite neutral (alone, available as the Clarus) but the downfiring woofer and the limited highs of the front-firing midrange-tweeter does give it a warmer and slightly darker sound. However, a tweak of treble can bring out the edge, and the little doo-hickey that can raise the front of the amp can help you hear the definition. I have all the specs and info at my site- www.urbbob.com/accimg.html

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

music-man, I'm using the Turner UB-1. It's the same pickup that Ed Freidland uses for his 2xbass. There made in Santa Cruz, CA by Rick Turner. The GK800RB and the Eden 210XLT sounds good at home. I'll let you all know if I still feel that way after taking it out and playing with others. I have all the tones set flat and the contour button (the center one) on.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Wally-

Not doubting that your 2xB sounds good through the Eden/GK rig ... this is probably the difference b/w bass and cello with this rig - on cello I'm mostly playing arco, and the Eden really brings out the string grit and mid-rangey "honk" - and of course, the string grit gets even worse when I use the EQ scoop switch.

But when I'm playing pizz bass lines on my ElectrCello, it sounds FAT.

Archived