Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More TRIVIA...

Since y'all had so much fun with the last one...try this one on for size... TODAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION: Considering that they only charted one hit record and that they scarcely even existed, the background of this group is amazingly complex. Their story actually begins in the "tri-state area" in the early sixties, with a group who cut a handful of unsuccessful records before breaking up. Cut to the end of the 1960s: their pianist, by then was a producer and songwriter, co-authoring songs and producing "Green Tambourine" by the Lemon Pipers in 1968, and also producing sides by the Left Banke. His former bandmate arranged to cut four solo sides, but the songs so impressed the label, that it wanted to issue all four as A-sides, which meant that they needed an additional B-side in a hurry for the first single. It happened that the night they were cutting what was supposed to be a throwaway, their fellow member was present and he suggested they cut a song they'd performed eight years previously which the three of them had written in the early sixties. It was one of the members ideas to put a chorus into the number, which, at the piano, in the absence of a lyric, became a signature part of the song. Then fate really took a hand when the management at the label heard the throwaway side and determined that it should be the single. The three musicians were outraged and they refused to put their names on the record, though they did claim the songwriting credit, which proved to be a shrewd move. The song was released at the end of the decade (and lingered into the next one), rose to the top of the charts and sold more than a million copies in America alone. In place of their names, the trio okayed it going out under another name. What was the name of the group?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]allmusic.com i wouldn't go there ted. you'll spend all day there! -d. gauss[/b][/quote]I already spend all day [i]here[/i] :D :D ... I need another site to surf when this place gets slow... :D If I'm not back in an hour or so, come fetch me, will ya?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived