Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wooten with Stern

Wally Malone

I have tickets to see the Mike Stern group featuring Victor Wooten, Dennis Chambers and Bob Franceschini on reeds. They'll be at Yoshi's in Oakland from Wednesday Feb 20th to Sunday the 24th. The tixs I have are for the 8 p.m show on Wednesday. This will be my first time seeing Victor live and I'm really looking forward to it. Has anyone seen him with this particular group? If anyone here is attending the same performance let me know. Always great to have the opportunity to meet some of the Low Down Lowdowners.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, I'm friggin jealous. Let me know how the show is!

I just saw the Victor Wooten group play at Irving Plaza in NYC. Great show...although I'm very sorry to say that I was kind of let down by Regi. He had a solo spot where Victor introduced him as "The Teacher", talked about how he taught Vic to play bass, his other brother to play keyboards, taught Oteil Burbridge a lot of stuff...

Then he started playing and, well, I wasn't really jazzed by him at all. Phenomenal chops, no doubt, but I didn't hear a single melodic idea that was...well...melodic!

In all fairness, his rhythm section work really was just fine, but it was strange how unbalanced his playing was... Everytime he took a solo I almost got the impression he was jivin'! :(

Woah, I just noticed how negative that post was!

Let me temper my previous negativity by saying that I've seen more than my share of great, GREAT teachers who weren't necissarily the best players.

Let me also say that Regi's repratoire of tunes is obviously huge, given the sheer number of songs he played in his 70's funk/rock/metal medley section of his solo (that stuff really was great).

And the rest of the band was incredible. Victor is obviously a god on his instrument, his other brother (the keyboard player) was great...I've never heard a funkier theramin in my life! JD Blair was really unbelievable. At one point he had a solo where he scatted in the style of Victor Wooten's bass playing (!) while grooving along in such a humorous yet funky way that had the crowd entranced and entertained.

Great show.

I'm sure Vic and Dennis Chambers are going to make a frightening rhythm section. Have fun, Wally!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow :cool: Wow :cool: Wow :cool: WOW :cool::cool:

What a show. There's a wow there for Stern, Wooten, Francis and the WOW and the two cools for Dennis Chambers, what a monster.

Victor had some problems at the beginning, he was playing through an Ampeg rig with a 410 and 115. During the first couple of tunes there was a lot of distortion coming from his rig especially when they were pushing it. It had a real overdriven sound and I don't believe it was intentional. He tweaked things a bit and also I saw the sound man peep his head through the curtains to talk to Victor. He did a solo piece that started out with A Night in Tunisia and Norwigan Wood. Yes the man is smokin. I know that guitar player is sometimes a dirty word on this forum but it sure isn't in the hands of Mike Stern. Never had seen the sax player before, I believe his name was Bob Francis Sr. and he had a big tone, great player. He and Stern did some great lines together. The crowd favorite though was Dennis Chambers. It was a fun night at a great venue. If you're ever in the Bay Area you should catch a show a Yoshi's at Jack London Square in Oakland.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Oh man, I'm friggin jealous. Let me know how the show is!

Then he started playing and, well, I wasn't really jazzed by him at all. Phenomenal chops, no doubt, but I didn't hear a single melodic idea that was...well...melodic!

In all fairness, his rhythm section work really was just fine, but it was strange how unbalanced his playing was... Everytime he took a solo I almost got the impression he was jivin'! :(

As a defense to Regi, he only does this when he plays with them. Whenever he plays as a sideman with another group he's actually REALLY melodic and plays clean without all the over the top chops stuff. From taking a few lessons from him and seeing the whole family, I got the impression that they all come from the 'chops chops faster faster' school of playing (probably has something to do with growing up during fusion). But he (and the rest of them) can tone it down when they need to....they just don't any other time. :)

Congrats, Wally...having never seen him live, what a great opportunity. VW and Chambers together. That's the real deal there. Victor Wooten is simply the most accomplished bassist out there. The guy just does everything, does it beautifully, and does it with complete humility. And Chambers...

So...did you want to throw your basses in the fireplace when ya got home? :D

I was there too at the Wednesday early show. The sax player is Bob Franceschini (not too far off, Wally Malone) and I concur on his playing, he was very very good, right in that blustery, Bob Berg/Michael Brecker way that Stern likes so much.

Wooten did seem to have a bit of an odd tone at the start, I agree, but it worked out. The first number was a bit off, maybe because of Wooten's sound troubles, but the rest of the show was superb. What Wally didn't mention was that the band was really good playing together, it wasn't like a trio of superstars thrown together and trying to outshine each other. They all listened to each other, and Stern in particluar seemd to be having a real blast. He always looks so gloomy in his photos, it was weird to see him grinning like a kid.

Near the end there was a fun section where Stern and Wooten continued to play an ostinato phrase while Chambers took a solo. Instead of doing what you might expect. he started to play an irresistible funk groove in a completely different tempo than what Stern and Wooten were providing. It was like he was daring them to be able to keep it up without getting sucked into the power of the rhythm he was putting down. Stern and Wooten just bit their lips and kept it going. Eventually Chambers gave up and went into a more standard drum solo explosion and came back to tempo in time for the rest of the band to come in and finish the piece.

Great show!

Thanks, AlChuck for the clarification on Bob Franceschini's name. I posted that after getting back from the concert and had to catch a plane early the next morning and in fact just got back from down south. This is my first time checking the forum since I had left. Yes, you're also right how Chambers was testing them by messing with the grove. He actually did a half time thing and for awhile seemed to be a sort of reggae feel and then a kind of shuffle. They, as you called it, they played as a unit and Stern definitely was having a good time. That was my first time at Yoshi's and it's a great venue to catch a show. Had dinner there as well and the food was pretty good. Having dinner we were able to reserve seats and got to sit in one of the booths which was very comfortable.

Wally

Blaise- let me know how it was!! were going Wed night- ill probaly be at both shows- too bad youre not off onn wed- Alembickoa ( Steve) , george from the Mirage and I will be going then- bass summit in vegas!!- and Dennis.. pleeeeze!!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Check Mike Stern's website, I think he's got dates posted...

yup:

http://www.mikestern.org/touring/2002.html

Oh, sorry, it appears to be Lincoln Goines on bass (no slouch at all -- I've heard him with Stern and with Wayne Krantz), but the rest of the group is the same.

One thing I didn't realize until the band was introduced last week was that Stern is up for a Grammy, I think for "Best Contemporaty Jazz Recording" or some-such category, for his latest, Voices. (So is Pat Martino's Live at Yoshi's for a couple of categories including "Best Jazz Instrumental Performance" or something...)

What timing, the Martino CD came in the mail today. Tried to listen at work but kept getting phone calls. What I did hear was great. I'll try to take a listen when I lay down tonight.

Wally

i have no problem with Lincoln Goines- hes a monster- but i think its wooten on these shows- well see- itll be great either way!- A.

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Hey guys. The rhythm section was Lincoln Goines,Ritchie Morales on drums. It was still awesome however!

Personally, I would have paid any price to catch Dennis Chambers. Oh, and of course Victor too. (Wooten)

I had a chance to catch Lincoln at the 55 bar in N.Y. a few years ago playin' with Wayne Krantz. Very Awesome! And a nice guy too! Anyway, enjoy! Peace-out, Blaise

well- thats too bad- but im still going!! i dig Lincoln a lot- Ritchie is cool, too- but Dennis is just too pwerfull

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

L.V. guys, Adrian, Blaise and Steve,

You GOTTA let us know how it is! We are all expecting a full and detailed report. Its a shame I cant make it up there this weekend. But do let us know how it was.

ikestr

...hertz down low....

OK, Big Ike...and anyone else interested...the Stern show was amazing. Walked in and Adrian and a couple of his cohorts were already there sitting front and center in a crowd of about 20 people!!! Amazing!!! The place was absolutely empty. One of the fellows with us had mentioned, and I am sure this was not an isolated case, that a friend of his said he wasn't going to go because Victor wasn't there. And I am sure others felt the same since Chambers wasn't going to be there. Well...ya snooze, ya lose.

These guys KILLED!!! Richie Morales may not be DC, but who the hell is? He kicked, played powerfully and tastefully, just did some amazing brush work (a dying art), and had more artillery than you could imagine. And Lincoln Goines? This cat is smoother than Gerber's Whipped Peas. His technique was astonishing on a gorgeous koa Emperor 5 string. I am unfamiliar and can't remember exactly which Emperor, but will guess a Signature model. Incredible touch, so fluid, and was able to play some gorgeous melodic lines that filled out the trio perfectly and powerfully. An absolutely magnificent musician. and Bob Franceschini...tone from the heavens and chops to go with it.

Musically, it was very well done fusion type stuff that covered the gamut from the long and spacey ballad to Brecker Bro's insanity. If anyone gets a chance to see this show with any line up, I believe it is seriously worth it.

Now...I gotta go shed...

yeah!! what Alembickoa said!!!

Lincoln is a serious bassist- It was a gret show! i stayed for two-

that Fodera is .. you guessed it.. a Lincoln Goines Signature- a lot of people think its just a one pickup straight into the output- but i asked him and he said theres a preamp in there- preset- i forget which pre he said, but it wasnt the Mike Pope - you shouldve stayed, Steve, Link was definitely looser the second set

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Guys! I'm glad you'all enjoyed it just as much as I did! His bass sounded as good as it looked!`

Yo Adrian, got bass yet? Give me a shout. Gotta hook up soon! (Steve! java?) BABS is doing very well! :) See ya when I see ya! Blaise

Archived