Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: Which streaming video media do you prefer?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm appalled. I just voted for Windows Media. QuickTime is fine and preferred, but too few servers actually take advantage of streaming services. I am not a big fan of downloads, but when I do choose to download video I select QuickTime. Mostly I have audio apps open and I hate opening another application (like Real). But I nearly always have a browser open so I tend to click and take a peek at the video and bail quickly if it doesn't interest me. Nearly all of my commercial work is delivered in Real formats. Here the interest is in content control.

QuickTime man! Then convert to other formats. Easy to go back and forth between iMovie and QuickTime. My Sony Mavica stores images as QuickTime picture files. IMO a lot of people get locked into a player cause of the platform thry're on, I'm glad I'm on a Mac and got locked into QuickTime. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

The fact that Windows Media is easier to use on the PC is probably another example of the evil Microsoft empire using it's operating system to block others' software. That said, I would like to use one of the others, but the Windows Media player is the only one that works all the time. Half of the time when I try to use Quicktime or Real Player it tells me I need to update to a new version. Forget it! :mad:
- Calfee Jones

On a Mac, QuickTime is the only stable solution. It's also the most elegant solution. The other two are possibly the buggiest apps currently installed on my G4. On a related topic, I'm tired of bad PC ports to Mac. RealMedia and Windows Media both fit easily into that category. I wouldn't mind it so much if I could conveniently elect to not have them installed on my machine. However, the sites I visit generally force one to use RealMedia or Windows Media in order to gain access to audio or video. QuickTime seems to be an option, at best, one-third of the time.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Real Player is the devil :evil: ! Talk about spy/bloatware! Quicktime for Mac is great, but they never did a good job implementing it on the Windows platform. Windows Media Player 7 is totally bloated, but it works most of the time. I like where if it doesn't have the codec needed that it will try to download it from the web.

[quote]On a Mac, QuickTime is the only stable solution. It's also the most elegant solution. The other two are possibly the buggiest apps currently installed on my G4.[/quote]Yeah the Windows Media player is buggy on Mac but when it's embedded in a webpage properly it shouldn't have any problems. I use both Mac and Windoze...Windows Media when done right has the least problems in my experience.

Quicktime. Never had a problem with it. WMP, on the other, has given me nothing but fits. Always seems to be 'just one more thing' you gotta click on or download or tweak just to watch a freaking 240x120, blocky, aliased short flick. Too much hassle.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I will not install Real Player on my system again. A) It sneakily always changes your settings around B) It's spyware C) It puts annoying little things on my toolbar D) It doesn't work half the time, anyhow. My biggest beef is that it asserts itself in the most pretentious manner possible... It doesn't even ask! The spyware situation with G2 was the last straw.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived