Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting a better rehearsal room sound.

Barks

My band uses a small sports hall for rehearsal. The problem is the sound. The room is basically a large basketball court size box with concrete walls and a hard floor and a high ceiling. We only have 1 guitar, bass and drums but the sound is always a problem - I presume from bouncing around off the walls etc. I would appreciate any advice on how to improve my sound in our rehearsal room. I almost always have a better sound anywhere else! My rig is a Trace Eliot smx300 head with either a Hartke 410 cab or my new 112 Bergantino cab. Any ideas?
'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The easiest way in is to use ear plugs (I use the $10 Etymotic ER-20, which seems to have a pretty even attenuation curve). What this does is attenuate all the sound -- but the first to drop below the hearing threshold is most of the reflected sound, leaving the direct sources. Provided your proximity to the direct sources is on the median better than the reverb-producing surfaces.

It actually gives some incredible clarity: you not only can hear details in your sound without turning up as loud, but you can hear the guitarist screwing up better ; }

<-- greenboy ---<<<<    takes awhile to get confident with them. but the payoff is more than worth it

I would suggest using a smaller amp or amps /drums (light drum stix) etc... in that setting and try to utilize your PA.

I have played in a few auditoriums and found that the lower stage volume and a good PA can solve the big boomy sound problem. You might want to use some compression on your bass.

www.danielprine.com

With a room like that, probably *anything* you can do to help muffle/diffuse the sound will help. If you can, try hanging tapestries / sheets / blankets / anything cloth on the walls, or adding some furniture (a big fat comfy couch is always a nice thing to have in a rehearsal room). At the bass end, rolling off the bass eq (or better yet, using a parametric eq to "dial out" the boomiest frequency[ies]) might help. If you were using 15" or 18" speakers, I'd recommend trying smaller ones, but if you're already using 10"s and/or a 12", there's not much you can do there. Everyone else's suggestions sound good to me, too (except maybe the egg cartons ;) ).

Archived