Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All that playing puts hair on your ...

DougP

... wrist?!?

(warning: this might be kinda gross if you're not into discussions of the human body)

Background: I played pretty fast/heavy bass in a punk band for a few years, using a Rickenbacker 4001 with the sharp binding on the edge. At first, my right-hand wrist would bleed after long, intense, rehearsals (I know - a lot of bass players wear wrist bands for protection, not just to keep the sweat off their hands; I probably should have), but after a while, the scabs/calluses would protect the skin.

Recently, I noticed that I have a considerable hairy patch (and I'm NOT a hairy guy - nothing on the back, barely any even on my arms/legs - they'd execute me in Afghanistan because I *can't* grow a beard, even if I try) on my right wrist, about 1" (roughly 3cm) in diameter, right where all the wear-and-tear is. My left wrist is perfectly hairless in the same (symmetrical) spot.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or am I just a freak? I thought I was only supposed to get hair on my PALMS (which hasn't happened yet, despite what my parents warned me!) ... does this mean that my bass playing is nothing but wanking? Do I need to wax my wrist now?

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived