Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Akai "Deep Impact" Bass Synth pedal

Jeff Addicott

I've had my Akai SB1 "Deep Impact" Bass Synth pedal for a few weeks now, and I can safely say: it's fantastic! Rugged, well-designed, programmable, tracks great, sounds great. What's not to like? Compared to the Boss synth pedal, it's much cleaner and WAY more versatile. (I still keep the Boss for use in "T-Wah" mode.)

I'm not an endorser, just a very happy customer. If you're interested, I got mine at Musician's Friend (online) for about $170. (super-reasonable price for such a cool unit)

Does anyone else out there use one of these?

------------------

Jeff Addicott

http://www.jeffnet.org/~addicott/bass.html

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won a Deep Impact from a competition on the Akai website and I think it's awesome. I use pedals by Lovetone, Fulltone, EBS, Voodoo Lab, etc. and this 'little' pedal more than stands its ground. It is such a disco funk machine! If only all new digital pedals were this good!

Alex

------------------

C.Alexander Claber

Chief Groove Guru V.P. i/c Funk

spiderplant.net/alex

This unit takes your bass signal and triggers an analog synth for output. Think: keyboard bass without the keyboard. In addition to the Akai I mentioned, Boss and Electro-Harmonix also make bass synth pedals.

You can control the envellope and the attack to produce an extremely funky, vowell-like ("wwowwww") sound that's pretty hard to duplicate any other way.

If you cover genres where keyboard bass is prevalent or if you just want to try a different sound from time to time, this effect is a total blast. It's certainly not for everyone, though!

Hope this helps.

Archived