Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opinions of Best Pop/Rock Music Scene in US?

I know everyone is from a lot of different places but i'm interested in opinions of the music scenes in different areas in the US as far as Rock/Pop/Acoustic-Rock/Singer songwriter goes. The Criteria: 1. THE SCENE-Record labels, Ability to make connections, Gigs, Money to be made 2. ABILITY TO CREATE A BUZZ-Where i live you can make good $$ Playing covers/Origials but there is no real fan base and no buzz factor. I am interested in placed where you can get that happening. 2 Availability of PRO Musicians 3. Music Vibe. If you were going to base out of someplace where would it be and why? I don't really care about making good $$ Playing..Only there there is a fruitfull original scene that is hip to the type of thing i'm doing. In the Pop/Rock Acoustic/Rock vain. Opinions appreciated..Thanks! Sean

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Svent, I live in a beautiful sea-side town just 80 north miles of LA called Santa Barbara. Great music Scene for the population. Close enough to all Record Company types in LA, easy to gig in LA but without the smog,crime and drama. Very Supportive community regarding the arts. Orignal music pre-vails (Just behind DJ's) Pop/Rock is a good avenue here and the location seems to breed a fabulous talent base. Unlike LA where so many like bands sound and look a like, SB has a great diversity which believe it or not gives the talent from this town the edge over many LA bands. Major label Pop/Rock bands that hail from SB.. Dishwalla, Primitive Radio Gods, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Summercamp, Silverjet, the Ataris, Sugarcult. Other Major Label bands would be Snot and Ultra Spank, plus an abundant of indie signed bands. That is a great ratio for 70,000 population. I don't think I could personally choose a better place to live to persue my music career. If you think California, Think north of LA. SB is only 5 hours from San Fransisco as well. Cheers.

Then theres Sacramento, CA. Layed back, semi-small town, an abundance of talented artists, 1.5 hours from San Fransisco. Bands? well, we got the Deftones, Oleander, Pavement, Tesla, Cake, Papa Roach (actually from Vacaville, just outside of Sac) and a bunch of others I cant think of right now. Also in addition, there are a number of 'up and comming' bands too. If you're ever in the area, check out: the Hurd, Winter Reign, Head go Boom, Las Pesadillas, Victory Gin, and so much more to see that deserve to be mentioned....and no, none of the above mentioned bands sound nothing alike. Not too bad for a 'cow town' eh? Welp, I funna go play mu fiddle.....spi-tooon. Keep it real, SactoG
0096 2251 2110 8105

Austin is still a good place for singer/songwriters...and a helluva lotta excellent players. Another area is the Raleigh-Durham/Charlotte/Greenville area......still open to that scene.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Then theres Sacramento, CA. Layed back, semi-small town, an abundance of talented artists, 1.5 hours from San Fransisco.[/quote] I lived in Davis, CA for a while, and do recall seeing some cool bands. The problem (this situation may have changed) is that you can count all the places that regularly have live music in Sacto on one hand. SF, on the other hand, easily has 30 places with live music nightly. The problem: gigs pay poorly or not at all, and San Franciscans prefer gimmicks over substance. If you play all Neil Diamond covers, for example, you'll do well here. There was a thriving acid jazz scene in the mid 90s that was kind of cool, but that's gone. There was also an inexplicable swing music fad for a few years that kept some folks employed. Creeper Lagoon, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Dora Flood, and others have kind of a pop meets shoegazer thing that's cool. I've always heard Chicago was a good scene, and I certainly enjoy the music.

"The problem (this situation may have changed) is that you can count all the places that regularly have live music in Sacto on one hand." It has changed, it's up to two hands now. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] SactoG
0096 2251 2110 8105

I lived out in the San Fran Bay area and ws VERY disappointed with the LACK of a real scene there. There are some gigs but for Pop/Rock more mainstream music it is severely lacking. Plus CA is SCAREY Expensive and I Doubt I'll ever go back there, having lived there for a couple years. I'm starting to see it Clearly now: New York NAshville LA(To an extent) Atlanta Austin I'm at a point where I'm thinking Why mess around....Heading up to New York in a week and a Half. I'm from NJ not far outside of the city. We'll see how it goes. Thanks so far. Sean

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

Archived