Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CNN Sucks Eggs

I can't believe the level of LAMENESS that this organization has sunk to! :mad: Looking at the latest story on that dumb-ass kid who was driving around planting pipe bombs and anti-government rants in peoples' mail boxes (he claims to have been making a "smiley face"... :freak: ), they have a "Background" box that lists his name, age, school, class, major, (get this) hobbies - Internet & guitar - and favorite band - Nirvana. (Anyone shocked?) They also refer to him as a "...21-year-old college student and one-time rock band member". (Thanks for belittling the profession, CNN...) Is it me, or has CNN turned into friggin' Tiger Beat Magazine? Hobbies?!? Favorite band?!? WTF does that have to do with ANYTHING?? They are making this little creep "famous" by putting that kind of crap out there. He's not a movie star - he's a seriously screwed-up person who needs psychiatric help. I am really proud of the work I did with CNN. Crap like this makes me happy I don't work with them anymore. [img]http://franknputer.complexero.com/images/alienfinger.gif[/img]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You read my mind, I saw that story too and I was like "HUH?" It's kinda like that kid who killed himself after listening to Ozzy records and the parents tried to sue Ozzy. This kid was in a rock band and likes Nirvana, so he MUST be screwed up in the head, right? That there punk music is a bad influence on our youth! CNN is perpetuating a stereotype that I thought had long since (thankfully) fallen out of use. That is truly scary. --Lee

I'm seriously starting to think that the media is the devil in flesh! Instead of politicians meeting with world leaders it's now the media who's calling all of the shots. Last night I watched a special on TV (I think it was 60 Minutes II) about events that led up to 9/11. The French were a key part of helping the US track down terrorist linked with 9/11. The reporter actually had the nerve to tell the French that the US thought that they did a poor job informing the US, when in fact the US did not ever say this. The guy was obviously just trying to stir things up and make ratings. My question is who's side are these guys on? Why don't they just roll in the red carpet for terrorists?

I hesitate to brand "The Media" as an entity - it is made up of a whole lot of people, of different backgrounds, mindsets, and *cough* skill levels *cough*. There is no "Big Room" somewhere, where they get together & decide "what's going on". CNN had a lot of journalistic integrity from its start. Now, I will admit that I am biased because my father worked there on the National Assignments Desk for many years. However, it is he who helped me understand what good journalism is all about; furthermore, it is because of this fact that I can claim firsthand knowledge of the integrity of at least some of the people involved. The big turning point really came when Ted Turner sold it, and big, dumb corporate interests started to have more and more influence over the operations, with more regard for its TV advertising value than its journalistic integrity. My lament is that they seem to have driven the final nail in the coffin. :cry:

I have to say from the European perspective, yes, CNN is pretty pathetic. Better off checking out some international newspaper sites if you want to know what actually happens in the world..it's pretty enlightening seeing how you fit it - get the whole worlds view - it's often totally different depending on where you look ! Now that Fox news... THAT is funny !

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b]You really [b]should[/b] have noticed this years ago.[/b][/quote]Your probably right. I just never really paid attention to the media until 9/11 I guess.

[quote]Originally posted by adam_w: [b]I have to say from the European perspective, yes, CNN is pretty pathetic. Better off checking out some international newspaper sites if you want to know what actually happens in the world..it's pretty enlightening seeing how you fit it - get the whole worlds view - it's often totally different depending on where you look ![/b][/quote]I suspect you're being diplomatic; thanks for that. But gloves off - CNN is not just "pretty pathetic," it's abysmal. (Ohio-cornfed boy talking here, having lived in Europe.) Particularly by comparison to Brit news outlets which, though not perfect, at least attempt SOME depth in coverage and independence from their government's perspective. It's bad enough that many Americans get their news from network TV and CNN, but it's downright embarrassing that people abroad associate CNN with an American "perspective." Agreed - web news is the way to go ...

Actually its quite refreshing these days to see Crossfire actually have equal opponents, which I'm sure scares the Trent Lotts of the world.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by Dillweed: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b]You really [b]should[/b] have noticed this years ago.[/b][/quote]Your probably right. I just never really paid attention to the media until 9/11 I guess.[/b][/quote]Just so you know the spirit of my earlier post...it wasn't criticism as much as me saying I know how you feel...The Gulf War was a turning point for CNN IMO...and that was when I started seeing the true agenda[b](s)[/b] there. Network television news (ABC, NBC, CBS, local stations) 'turned' much earlier.

I know that was a broad response but I really think the media's role in society has become very broad. I don't have the time or the ability even to explain everything that I [b]think[/b] is going on...there are people who do that full-time but you might find this link interesting, it's relevant to the topic: http://www.thenation.com/special/bigten.html

The profit hungry news media lost all credibility with me durring the gulf war. The selective coverage of networks (owned by companies that also own weapons manufacturing facilities) showing how great and effective the Patriot missle was. Later, we hear reports that the missle was prone to misfire or not fire at all and the media coverage was not at all representitive of the actual effectiveness of the very expensive missle. Not too hard to connect the dots on this. Headlines would rather focus on OJ. Seen any good car chases lately?
-David R.

Confession time:I actually pay money to have CNN on my TV.It is part of a whole cable TV package,the news channel also has BBC World news .One thing I will say for CNN, they seem to always have a "Johnny" on the spot when something in the world is going on. As far as everything else is concerned they don't seem much different to our local news channels,in other words over the last few years, tending towards more tabloid/sensational type stuff.In fact our local media do a really good job of sensationalising stuff,they seem to like it when the News makes the News....they pat themselves on the back.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

Well, of course we can conclude that anyone that listens to Nirvana, plays guitar and is on the Internet is a potential pipe bomber. Hmm. Wait a sec... That describes about half of my students.... I'm tired of hearing the "CNN is liberal" bs... they're not liberal or conservative, they're biased towards whatever story is "bigger". FOX ON THE OTHER HAND.... Geezo...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Assorted new media rules of operation: (1) If an African American is suspected of a crime, make certain that they are in handcuffs when you take their picture. (2) If you need to interview a neighbor, make sure that you find the worst-dressed, most pathetic looking, downtrodden, more poorly educated person on the block. Extra points if they have tattoos, a heavy accent, or if their speech is littered with profanity or colloquialisms. (3) If there's a rumor that taxes *might* go up, that's news. If 35,000 children starve to death tonight, you can leave that out. (4) If someone dies overseas, it's only newsworthy if that person was an American or if the death occured in Israel or another "hot spot." Note: Only use hot spots that represent American investment interests. Africa is boring. Leave it out. (5) Groups of people are only interesting when they're protesting, shouting, and burning things. Any citizen who stays quiet, minds his own business, or worse, goes to work, should never be acknowledged. (6) If someone is suspected of murder, you get extra points for including their middle name in the report: Lee Harvey Oswald John Wilkes Booth James Earl Ray John Wayne Gacy (7) Even though tens of thousands of murders will occur this year, we're really only concerned with a handfull of them. In order to know which ones to discuss, refer to the following criteria: - crimes involving celebrities or wealthy families - crimes against children - crimes involving racial bias or police brutality - serial murders - crimes involving high profile gangsters - mass murders committed by people who seemed completely normal All other murders can be glanced over or completely ignored. (8) Report only the stories where you can use buzzwords. People don't care about what's happened; the just want their buttons pushed by buzzwords. A partial list follows: - race - gay - taxes - scandal - union - strike - jobs - terrorism - Islamic - guerilla - organized crime - pope (9) Don't pay attention to what Congress has been doing for the last twenty-four hours. Focus only on the fifteen-second sound bytes from their press conferences. (10) Should a celebrity or an elected official get caught having an affair, discuss their relations with the opposite sex in graphic detail. This encourages young children to take an interest in the unfolding events, and that, of course brings the parents into the viewing audience.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

This is an interesting post and I`m glad I`m not the only one who notices this shit. In my opinion and we all have one, I agree with what has been said here. The general public, (society) is not interested in the truth. You`ll fin d proof in this if you have ever seen the Aaron Brown clip where they talk about his professionalism and unique perspective. You hear Mr. Brown saying something along the lines that "people don`t want just to be told whats going on, they want a story." That is papraphrased but it was probably worse than that. I don`t know about you guys but I don`t want a story. I just wnat to know the facts. I will often ask people a simple question like "What did you eat for lunch?" I don`t want to know why they ate what they ate or what happened to help them make their decision, I just want a simple answer, "A ham samdwich". You also have to consider that CNN is on all day and their broadcast is full of filler. Seriously, CABLE TV IS ALOT OF FILLER. Theres too much time to occupy. Just like the project studio has watered down the music industry, so has a 24 hour news ntework. Thanks Ted Turner. On the positive side of all this is the fact that everyday that I`m in the studio, CNN is on in the background just so I know what the fuck is going on in the world. Since 9-11, I have done this. If it weren`t for a coffee break that day I would have been doing my thing with my head in the sand. So there are good and bad things about CNN. Take it or leave it. In the end we all have a choice to watch it or to change the channel. Peace, Ernest

Dan you forgot one: Find someone who's closest relative has died gruesomely, get to them before they are notified and shove a microphone in their face to ask them how they "feel"... I used to do business radio so I knew a bunch of people in "journalism". You have no idea what these people are really like behind the scenes and how many of them have their own little agendas. It got me disallusioned and I had no problem walking away from that business.

CNN became part of AOL-Time Warner. AOL's stock is tanking, which is karmic payback for how they treated the people who put them on the map. Warners used to be a respected music label, but no more. Consolidation for the sake of the bottom line is the name of the game, and given the educational system in this country, there's nothing to lose by aiming for the lowest common denominator. Remember when GE bought NBC? Within 6 months, they'd aired a special called "Nuclear Power: In France, It Works." Follow the money, and all will be revealed.

Why is it that the US seems unique in the way the news media has turned into entertainment. It actually embarrasses me. I've lived overseas and sometimes get to travel on my job. Native news vehicles in most other places come across as neutral news sans the showbiz. - No sexy or celeb type newscasters and no theme music to pump up the news content. Definately no quotes on the war on terrorism from Madonna- jezz. However, what bothers me even more is consolidation in the news biz here in the US. Did you ever notice that there seems to be only a prescious few actual sources of new stories. Then everything is regurgitated/copied. If the WSJ, NY Times or Wash post finids some new angle - within a month its in Newsweek, Time, people, the local newpapers, USA Today and on 20/20, 48 hours etc.etc.etc. I find this truly scarry. And talk of additional consolidation continues.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

[quote]Originally posted by Kendrix: [b]I've lived overseas and sometimes get to travel on my job. Native news vehicles in most other places come across as neutral news sans the showbiz. - No sexy or celeb type newscasters and no theme music to pump up the news content. [/b][/quote]Yeah, but then that's not "entertaining" anymore, is it? America is lost. We're nothing to a large pack of mental sheep now.

[quote]Originally posted by markvincent: [b]One thing I will say for CNN, they seem to always have a "Johnny" on the spot when something in the world is going on. [/b][/quote]That's what I value them for as well. BBC too. NPR kinda in the same category for US/Washington news. I think of the media as one unit too. As the fourth estate, they are the watchdogs we unleashed on the three branches of government. Of course who is to watch the watchdogs? The other issue is international. The US media dominate world attention. We can't control them through national interest (censorship) but we do have a societal interest that is not being served. Apart from the imbalance in reporting...... America and Americans are being portrayed as trigger happy, gun toting, crime loving loonies. Maybe that's what we are.... but the people I meet day to day are just like the people I would meet when I lived in Singapore and Sri Lanka. They'd like to be successful, they have interests, they love their children, they value having values. A number of my relatives who visit me from Australia are very concerned about whether we are secure enough, are the doors locked, etc. After all they are visiting the US, a high crime country. When I ask them how they know that they say they get the scoop from CNN Pacific edition. :eek: Jerry

Total Whores. Yes :thu: If any serious debate were embarked upon, this country could be very different. We live in an aristocratic Republic, where the media aids in the perpetuation of false paradigms. By limiting the boundaries of discussion, and encouraging a perceived lively debate within those limits, the illusion of freedom is achieved. Sorry I could go off on this stuff. Talcott Some simple lefty sources (which could also be intelligably critiqued) are Zmag.org, thirdworldtraveler.com, and kpfk.org.

Ahh! Let us proclaim absolute truths.

Let us dishonor war, No...glorious war does not exist.

-Victor Hugo

http://www.composerguitarist.com

It is quite funny that some of you are just now taking notice of the bias in our news coverage. I recently moved and had to live with local channels and rabbit ears for two weeks before we could get the dish hooked up. I about went crazy with the lack of the truth and the crap being put out. If a majority of Americans get their news from the big three, it's no wonder we're screwed up. I gave up on CNN and the main networks during the Clinton years since they just flat would not tell the truth.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by Tusker: [b] [quote]Originally posted by markvincent: [b]One thing I will say for CNN, they seem to always have a "Johnny" on the spot when something in the world is going on. [/b][/quote]That's what I value them for as well. BBC too. NPR kinda in the same category for US/Washington news. [/b][/quote]Yeah, but NONE of them are technically "reporters". They're all just "announcers". They don't go and ask questions, investigate leads, followup on stories. They report what the government tells them is happening. That's all. No one does investigative journalism anymore; it's too costly.

Archived