Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bow for EURB advise wanted

Jonathan Starr

I am learning to play an NS CR4M electric upright, which sounds great for some of the wierd songs that my Wailuku Garage Band plays.

I want to try using a bow, and there are no local stores here that sell them. Can anyone give me advice on what to look for and where to purchase an inexpensive starter bow?

Aloha,

Jonathan Starr

kalepa@maui.ent

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd get a fiberglass bow to start with. As long as you get real horsehair instead of the synthetic, it will play fine. Bowing an EUB is tricky, they don't respond the same as an upright, and they can be awkward to hold while bowing. If you've never played with a bow anyway, I guess it's all new and different...Good luck!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Thanks for the useful info.

I was able to order a fiberglass French 3/4 Glasser bow with real horsehair from Quinn Violins for about $50 including shipping.

This should allow me to have some fun and learn enough to make an

informed decision about whether I can get interesting, consistent

sounds by bowing the Steinberger, and if not, what I will need to

get to do so.

Best Aloha,

Jonathan

One more thing--find a teacher!!! Pronto!

There are many subtleties to bow technique that are difficult to figure out on your own--even with a good technique book. Just learning getting a good sound that never scratches or stutters WITH a teacher will probably take a year, so save yourself some frustration and find a good teacher...

That is great advice. I do have a really good teacher, and being the good teacher that he is, I don't think he will be teaching me arco for a while. Although I have been playing electric for years (with sloppy technique) he has started me with the basics, working through the Simandl book, and making every note sound right while teaching me the positions and how to read. It's slow going for me, having reached the far side of 50, and having to spend most of my practice time working up tunes for my band. I wish I did this decades ago.

Right now I am just looking to experiment a bit on my own, maybe try to get some useful sounds for use on avant tunes my band does, and eventually begin a real regime. I can see that this is leading me towards acquiring a real upright. I am getting hooked on the swelling sounds that come from the CR4M (though with it's low action it sometimes sounds a bit like a giant electric sitar, which is kinda cool in it's own way), and my teacher brought over his Azola, which is a lot more like a real bass this week, and it was fun for me to play it during my lesson.

Aloha,

Jonathan

Yeah, the NS bass is kinda like its own weird hybrid animal...one of the reasons I didn't go for it when I was shopping around for an EUB...I wanted to learn the double bass on something portable, but I didn't want to have to relearn how to play when or if I finally got a real double bass. The Messenger, built by John Knutson, works great for that. I can set it up to mimic the feel of a real double bass, or lower the action all the way to "cop-out" height. I keep the action kinda beefy, since I play it in a jump blues band and it really speaks well set up that way.

Ironically, I played my teacher's 5-string Phretchner (sp?), and it was actually easier to play (and sounded huge)! You can mimic the sound of a double bass with an EUB, but you can't duplicate it...wow.

Archived