Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AW4416: which HD's are compatible?

Hi, The last few months I've been trying to figure out which IBM HD's that are compatible with the AW4416. The list on the Yamaha web site is not very useful. I'm told that the disks on that list do not exist anymore (at least not in Norway). Well, I had to trust the Yamaha-people in Norway on this one. I wanted a 30 giga disk but they could not help me with that so they recommended a 20 giga (from IBM). The first one formatted ok, worked for a few minutes and then the machine froze, after turning it off and on again it would stop halfway through the startup process. We got another 20 giga and the same thing happens. :mad: No one at Yamaha (Norway) or at IBM can help. We decide to get another 12,5 giga because that one works fine.......well we can't get one. They are not for sale!!! The Yamaha-people tell us that a 30 giga will work, and we buy the 30 giga. Guess what? It's not working. Like the 20 giga it starts up well, but freezes when we try to record something. After this we have finally got Yamaha to get us another 12,5G. They will send one from Sweden. Probably next week. What is all that talk about 64G for? They have not been able to give us more than 12,5G so far. :p I was hoping that some of you AW-users out there could help me. What disks are really compatible these days? The only difference I can find, on the disks that I have tried, is that on the 12,5G it says 500 milli-ampere, the other disks are 1 ampere. Could this be the problem? Thanks in advance Richard Hjemmen

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Richard, What OS version are you running in your AW? Nobody has had any trouble with the recent IBM TravelStar 20 or 30 gig drives. You can mail order these from http://www.megahaus.com . And be sure to upgrade your OS to the latest version (2.0) if you haven't already. --Lee

Thanks Lee. It's really a strange thing because it is "almost" working. We do record a few minutes of sound before it freezes. And then I won't get another chance of formatting because it won't start up. Is there a "hold down the ___ button while turning the power on" - function that formats the disk? Richard

Archived