Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Combo

adz

Hey,

I'm in the market for my first bass amp. I've looked at all the most common makes (my price limit is around 500 pounds or around 550 dollars) like trace elliot(which, call me unusual, but i don't like!) etc..

I have decided (well almost!) to go for an ampeg b50-r but before i do i was just wondering if anyone has ever used one and could tell me what they're like or suggest anything you think should be better. I play all sorts of stuff but mostly rock, pop type stuff.

Btw i play a Washburn XB-800FVS with Status pickups.

Cheers,

adz

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Ampeg B-50R is a pretty decent amp for its price. You should also evaluate the SWR Workingman 12. However, the WM 12 is more expensive than the B-50R. You may also want to investigate used amps - sometimes they can be a nice bargain if they're in good shape. If you have time, go check out Bass Player's 1999 shootout of combo amps.

I've wanted to hear reports about that Ampeg, as well.

Another thing to check out is the new line of affordable amps from SWR. They've got three new amps (Starting with a 10" and working up to 100 watts with a 15" speaker) that are more affordable than the working man series.

I'm not aware of any reviews on those, yet.

I've got an SWR WM 15, and I love it. If you try it and like it, ask about getting a floor model. I got mine for only $585 USD. The nice thing about the WM series is that you can add speaker cabinets to them when the need arises. I've got a series of outdoor gigs this summer and bought a 4 x 10 cab. Hooking up the external cab boosts the power from 160 watts to 200 watts.

I've also got a Carvin combo (100 watts, 10" speaker). It's a great practice and rehearsal amp and was only around $200 something.

Good luck and enjoy shopping!

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

BTW,

I was just browsing at American Musical Supply and they have a SWR WorkingMan 15 in the Nonfactory sealed section for $584.95 USD.

FYI

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

Archived