Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Caution: About that Gear in Your Closet

Just a tip...if you have an old synth or drum machine sitting in your closet that's several years old and you're not using any more, you might want to de-solder the lithium battery that keeps the patch data and such alive. They can leak, and when they do, they'll damage the circuit board.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So...like what IS the lifespan of those bats? I've got a few units that have had the same bats in them since I purchased them...oh, about 10-12 years ago...and they all still retain the patch data and the user data I put in. I also always thought that most of those bats were there to ONLY hold the programable (user-data)...and that the factory data was on ROMs...and was always there even without the bats. I've considered changing out the bats on some of those units BEFORE they shit the bed...are there any "DO/DON'T DO" considerations?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

<> Yes, that's generally the case. Remember too that some cartridges have batteries. <> The only biggie is save your data first. But you should be doing that anyway, then if a battery DOES die, you won't have lost your work. These batteries last longer than expected, but in my experience, over 10 years the odds start going against you.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Just a tip...if you have an old synth or drum machine sitting in your closet that's several years old and you're not using any more, you might want to de-solder the lithium battery that keeps the patch data and such alive. They can leak, and when they do, they'll damage the circuit board.[/b][/quote]Plus you can get a fortune for complete garbage on EBAY these days!!!! :thu:

yep. Found out the hard way, a few years back. Good ol' Korg Polsix; got a little damage on the board, but nothing I couldn't fix with a good cleaning and a re-tracing of a few circuits. Got lucky, I did.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Plus, if your piece of gear has been sitting around for years without being powered up, place a 100 watt light bulb in series with one lead of the power cord before powering it up. Capacitors tend to dry up and go bad when not charged for long periods of time. Transformer windings can collect moisture and deteriorate the winding insulation. Placing the bulb in series absorbs the "in rush current" and acts like a regulator. If there should be a "short" in a power supply transformer, capacitor or rectifier, the lamp will light brightly and stay bright. If the components in the power supply are okay, the lamp will light up briefly, then dim to almost nothing. This is a good way to gently wake up those power supply components after being asleep for long periods of time.

GY

Yeah, I had that happen to an old casio keyboard a few years back- But what ended up cool is that it only has one very predictable glitch...When maximum polyphony is exceeded, it starts making these bell sounds that sound ring modulated- It's the best sound on the keyboard! Is there any kind of stuff like this inside digital mixers, fx, etc., that we should be worried about?

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

These batteries last longer than expected, but in my experience, over 10 years the odds start going against you. -------------------- Craig Anderton *free music available at craiganderton.com I can hardly believe I've been using my Juno 60 since 1983 with the original battery....also my Moog Source the same amount of time..Ken Nelson

Archived