Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Euphonic Audio

Ed Friedland

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ed, I've got a couple of the 110s which we use here in the shop with a California Blonde driving them. This makes a pretty good "reference" system, though its pretty underpowered for out-of-shop use. I've also driven the EAs with a Hafler 200 watt amp using a Pendulum Audio stereo preamp. The EAs are the closest speakers I've heard to my home reference system....Nelson Reeds driven by a Hafler. What I like is the smooth midrange and great bottom extension. Also, the dome tweeter sounds much better than most of the bass amp tweeters which just annoy me. The guys at EA have put a lot of bucks into the crossover systems & it shows in the audio results. They're really like small, very smooth PA cabinets with great low end. Great for acoustic instruments, too. I traded Larry at EQ a Ren 5 string for a couple of cabs, and I've never regretted it!

WOW! RICK TURNER! YOU DA MAN! OK, NOW I'VE GOT THAT OUT OF MY SYSTEM.

RICK, WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, PLEASE TRY THE BERGANTINO 1X12 AS YOUR REFERENCE. ASK ED, HE'LL TELL YA! I HAVE BEEN BLOWN AWAY BY THIS LITTLE MONSTER AND WOULD LOVE TO GET YOUR FEEDBACK!......COREY

Mr. Turner......I guess my last posting here has ruffled some feathers! I did not mean to imply that your E.A. speakers were inferior. All I was asking was to get your opinion on the Bergantino 1x12. MY opinion is that it rocks.....that's all!

Hmm, I detect a trend.

Used to be a combo had to have a 15" speaker in it and, say, 75 watts to be seriously considered. Then 10" speakers took over the world so you had to have a 210 and maybe 150 watts. Now 12" speakers are making a comeback so a combo with one 12 is OK, but should probably have at least 200 watts.

Now comes Euphonic with a one-10" combo with 350 watts, priced like it was wired with solid silver, but a good rig by all accounts. Eden scurries to follow suit.

So: I fearlessly predict that somebody will soon come out with a 600 watt combo with one 8" speaker which will cost about twice what the Euphonic rig does. The "linear" excursion of the cone (xmax) will probably be about 3".

Gotta say, this reminds me a bit of trends in "high end" audio, where less costs more. I dunno if I want to go there - to the land where people obsess about the sound of various types of resistors.

Meanwhile, reliable sources indicate that the wavelength of bass notes remains unchanged. Film at 11.

Hey Ben, Check out the sunfire subwoofers. The smallest is 9x9x9 with 1200 watts and the "large one" is 13x13x13 at 2700 watts and competes with dual 15 inch subs. Add a 10" with crossover for mids/highs....worlds smallest powerhouse.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Lol, lug, here I am fearlessly predicting something Bob Carver has already done. Although, personally, I fail somewhat to see the point of the my-subwoofer-is-smaller-than-yours contest, as you can pick up pretty good Canadian-made audio subwoofers on Ubid for around $200 including shipping. They aren't all that big either, I just got one that is a 16" cube.

PS. I tried using my new sub (a Dahlquist "Tympani" 15" with 350 watt Class D amp) in combination with my Nemesis to supplement the bottom octave, but it was a bust, the woofer flapped, the Class D amp got hot, the sound was muddy. Proving to me once again that home audio equipment and music amps are entirely different beasts - it's a very good subwoofer for audio.

PPS. Ed, sorry, off topic... But it does get back to the idea that what Euphonic is doing is not easy.

I'd happily try the Bergantino, but probably won't get a chance 'til NAMM in Anaheim next year unless they just happen to send me one! I liking the EAs, I'm not dissing any other speakers, especially ones I haven't heard. I know in pro audio and home audio, there's quite a few choices at the high end which all sound good.....and different from one another. Kind of like bass players......

Hey Ed,

To answer your question, yes! I've been playing EA cabs now for 3 years and absolutely love them. I use a VL-210 and two VL-110s in various configurations, and they have been great. I play in a variety of bands, mostly R&B casual type gigs, but I also have regular gigs with a big TOP-style horn band and with my own acid jazz project, and the EAs always work well.

I recently started working with a very loud (but good!) drummer and found the 210 by itself in our rehearsal room was being pushed a little too hard. I was using a QSC PLX-1602 power amp and recently upgraded to a PLX-3002, but I found that didn't help out, so I guess I've found the 210's limit. I suspect the new CxL-210 probably would be a big improvement.

For a lot of medium-volume casuals, a single VL-110 has worked fine, and two is always more than enough. For the big horn band, I usually go with a 110 on top of the 210, and that sounds great. It's a nice "vertical" array, and projects well and never sounds boomy. It's tight.

I've got a iAMP Combo and a CxL-110 on the way so I can report on those when I get them. EA should be shipping the new stuff in the next week.

Kind of a goofy story: I keep an EA VL-108 at my mom's house that I picked up used for a couple hundred bucks. It's awesome! I keep it there just to have something to practice with, but a few weeks ago my mom got me a gig (I know, I know), and it was such short notice that all I could bring was the 108 and my Eden Traveler to play with a rhythm section that had a durmmer with a small kit and 4(!) conga players and percussionists. And the 108 survived with flying colors! Even the low B sounds good through it.

I've got the 110, and I was almost ready to give it up. Used for rehearsals with my funk band, it sounded too thin, and it was kind of cumbersome to haul around (at least compared to my GK MBS-150).

Then I got a standing jazz gig with a somewhat loud drummer, and suddenly the 110 found it's niche. Powered by my head (Alembic tube pre with a 1200 watt Stewart power amp), it sounds really full, with plenty of lows, mids and highs. The guys complained when I tried to use the little GK amp, so the EA remains in service. It's definitely a good cabinet if you want a lot of nuances; perfect for upright.

I once took the EA over to a friend's place and A/B'd it with an Acme 110. The Acme seemed to have more "balls": not as flat, but punchier lows. I kind of preferred it, actually, especially for electric bass. But for this jazz gig, I like my EA just fine. I feel no need to be replacing it, anytime soon.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Jeff Addicott

http://www.jeffnet.org/~addicott/bass.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi all from the UK, this is my first post...

I've been using the iAmp500 and two CXL112 cabs for about two years now and I have no regrets whatsoever. I use a Musicman Sterling or a Warwick Jazzman Streamer LX - I'm always over the moon with the punch, depth and clarity of notes. The trick is to get them off the ground and have the lower cab at chest height to get the benefit as unlike conventional cabs they don't push much air, which is something I like to feel.

To be honest, for most pub and club gigs I can get away with using one cab and if necessary I go through the PA - this way I can carry the lot to and from my car in one go which is always a bonus.

Also, the amp head has a fantastic CD-in feature which coupled with headphones is great for silent practising - I have unforgiving neighbours so this is a godsend.

Basically, give them a go - the guys at EA in the UK (distributed by Overwater) are so helpful and genuinely friendly, Lawrence always wants to talk bass!

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Wow, Ed Friedland and Rick Turner showing up on the forum. How cool is that?

I played one a few years ago at a open blues jam thing at a nightclub. I was very impressed -- can't remember the model, I was really impressed with the clarity and tone of the thing. Cut through the mix really nicely too.

I actually considered EA when buying a new rig this year, but went with Eden instead.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I bought an EA500 in October and it's sweet. I need to spend more time learning the parametric, but I'm having no difficulty in getting very nice sound to come out of this thing. It weighs 13 pounds, and I got the "gig bag" for it. It's a great sized unit, and the bag is plush (and red) inside.

I've played through EA speaker cabs and I approve (though I don't own any).

Note that Bob G sells them, and Mike Dimin endorses/plays/promotes them. They can answer more specific questions (they did for me).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah, I have the gig bag too, it's lush - the zip up pocket is great, has just enough room for the speakon and power cables, also I keep all my A4 notes in with the head.

Alex, couldn't find an Introduce Yourself thread, only an Introduce Your Band one - is that the one you were referring to? Didn't want to dig up an old, dead thread.

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

I have been using the EA iAmp CVL-110 combo for almost 5 years and I cannot say enough about the amp. If I had it to do all over again I would opt for the 800 and 2-10s (So I dont have to take an occasional 2nd cab) but other than that, the EA is GREAT!

"in 2000 I finally realized the roadies are not coming..."

BassLand

BassLand

www.BassLand.net

I've been using EA gear for about 4 years now. Started with VL series (still own a vl208) then got Cxl series 112s. They are great cabinets and I use them with walter woods ultra. I've since tried other cabs and still feel that the EA stuff is the absolute best at sound dispersion over a wide, off axis range. Just this weekend I was playing a club date at Tavern on the Green and the leader of the club date office was there checking up on bands. He kept walking near me and staring, then walking away, then walking way to the right of the room. Finally he came over to me and asked me if I was in the PA. I said no and he told me the bass sound was beautiful all over the room. He was really surprised it was all coming from the amp. He even sat in on drums while the pianist and I played continuous music.

When ever I try to get out of lugging the two speakers to a club date, I always remember that the players always tell me they can really hear the sound clearly when I use the EA speakers, so I end up taking them.

Archived