Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Mighty Metronome, who uses one?

Ed Friedland

One may not find the right groove for a song using a drum machine using the beats that come with the machine. There was a period a good while back where I actually did some gigs using a drum machine. I would reprogram the beats around to make it work. There was one song that I moved the snare drum 1/48th of a beat and the whole feel was then as it should have been. Many machines can be done up to 1/64th of a beat but my Oberheim was limited to 1/48th. By the way, I hate doing gigs with a drum machine but at that time there were a lot of lounge type gigs that paid well for a duo.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a bass player, though I do have a beautiful old Fender Precision my dad gave me once.

But on guitar, flute and mandolin, I sometimes practice with the mandolin. Often the main reason is to force myself to practice things at a slow tempo, LOL!

Holy Zombie Thread, Batman!! :D

I have both a metronome and a drum machine but don't use them much as I am usually learning cover tunes and thus am playing to the recorded tracks.

When it comes to metronome usage I believe that both Ed Friedland and Jeff Berlin have valid points and for me the most effective usage is to be found in the middle ground between their philosophies.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

It occurs to me that "The Mighty Metronome" would not be a bad album name.

If, you know, people still bought albums. ;)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived