Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

d. gauss' s report from memphis

well i'm back. my liver's not happy, but i am. here's what i can remember ... kid rock. cool. saw this show in the pouring rain standing in 6 inches of mud and cow shit. he did a rockin' jumpin jack flash.... delbert mcclinton. again, saw this show in the pouring rain, but he was spot on. one of my faves. cheap trick. they still rock. how robin zander still sings like that i don't know. and no lame MTV ballads! bonnie raitt. very impressed. not a big fan but she was down and dirty. played a mean slide. she won me over. ike turner. what can you say? the wife beatin' founder of rock n roll had a 9 piece band, a tina look alike/sound alike and had to contend with opening for incubus and puddle of mud. he kicked ass. i like ike. weird tidbit...more girls flashed their breasts at the ike turner show than all the other shows combined. go figure.... eddie floyd and carla thomas with the memphis horns. most folks here have probably never heard any of this, but they were so tight, the child molesting catholic priests were getting jealous! bela fleck. hey, i know there are some big fans on this board, but... a drum machine and a bass solo every song ain't my idea of a fun time. sorry victor wooten! cameo. word up indeed! man these guys were a surprise. the bass player was wearing a kilt, the guitar player was in pink leather and they flat out rocked. oh, and 5 part, spot on harmonies. dianne price and her boyfriends. wow. gotta love a 60 something year old black woman singing dirty blues songs. lots of fun watching uptight folks get up and leave when she sang, "i got a nice clean kitty right between my legs...." walter trout. was a blues/rock wanker. hubert sumlin. hey, he played with howlin' wolf. he's still doing his thang 40 years later.... well. there were 60 bands and that's all i can remember right now. but... memphis sure is fun. went to sun studios, stax records, isaac hayes' restaurant and of course graceland... -d. gauss http://www.betteroffdead.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a successful trip !! Hope the recovery goes well ! I haven't heard Carla Thomas and Eddie Floyd, but wasn't there a Carla Thomas that sang backgrounds for everybody in the 70's (James Taylor, Rick Derringer, Cat Stevens). My albums are in storage, so I can't look right away... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

[quote]Originally posted by Tom Capasso: [b] I haven't heard Carla Thomas and Eddie Floyd [/b][/quote]yes you have. you just don't realize it. "knock on wood?," (bowie covered it and there was the disco version) "634-5789?" (he wrote that for wilson pickett), "raise your hand?" (springsteen covered it)...... and carla's dad was rufus "walkin' the dog" thomas. she had hits of her own as well. -d. gauss http://www.betteroffdead.com

Archived