Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Composer Chapter of the Week" Club

David,

I'm not familiar with their work with Michael Brecker - I'm actually not too familiar with Ogerman at all.
Ah, then please allow me to wholeheartedly recommend the following two cd's to all of you. IMHO, these two recordings represent the epitome of what I'd like to achieve:

Michael Brecker / Claus Ogerman: "Cityscape"

Click Here

Vince Mendoza "Epiphany"

Click Here

Enjoy!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mendoza's music (especially from the clips that I heard on Amazon) seems to have more to do with the vocabulary Gil Evans, Kenny Wheeler, Bob Brookmeyer and Maria Schneider have developed. Gil Evans was musically omnivorous - there's stories of him just sitting and studying scores and records for hours on end. There's a lot of parallels texturally between Gil and Debussy and Ravel. I know Brookmeyer's talked about being influenced by Lutoslawski, but I don't hear it in a lot of Brookmeyer's work. Kenny Wheeler tends to be very guarded about his influences.

I couldn't get the Ogerman clips to work.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by cnegrad:

Where do we stand?

I've now read the first two chapters.

I can vouch for Gilreath's comment in chapter two that players will often change bowing slurs from those that were marked and that they will sometimes request that no slurs to be notated at all. One advantage of reading this book over a textbook is Gilreath's research on the differences between textbook terminology and its popular usage.

So where does everyone else stand?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Okay, so none of us have managed a chapter a week since we started this process a month ago - that's okay.

However, if we only cover, say, a chapter a month, we won't finish this book until the end of 2007!

In other words - no pressure, but it might not hurt if we picked up the pace a bit! ;)

Any comments on "Chapter Two: The String Section?"

Best,

Geoff

Hey Geoff,

First post since I moved out of NY last September...

I was willing to contribute my time on this but for the love of GOD, I couldn't find the freaking book in storage right now!!!

A li'l moving tip for you guys out there, make sure you write everything down on the box, every li'l bit of stuff you put in it, be it a piece of wire or a banana. Write it down on the box so when you putz around your rented 10X30 storage area, you'll know which box to open and not have the wife give you the freakin' silent treatment!!! :D

Don't mean to go off-topic on this thread... forgive me. :P

Glad to see you guys had started on something!

Sorry guys. I totally flaked. I've got a lot on my plate right now. Somewhere around 25 gigs. You know the drill. each of them has 3 or 4 people attached and calling all day with changes and rewrites. Ad guys and AE's. Fun... Thank God for 'em.

Move ahead and I'll catch up. Again.. I'm sorry, but I am going to see the symphony Thursday. Wednesday I'm going to dinner with ksober. He's here as the md for Joe Diffie. They're playin' some place down town.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok - I am now officially caught up.

The most fascinating thing I found with Ch 2 was the bow information - because I have never had to orchestrate I hadn't thought about how the bow requirements would need to be scored, not just the notes.

The other factoid I liked is the origin of the term Double Bass :thu:

Though I finshed Chapter 2 weeks ago I haven't gone beyond; holidays and illnesses are slowing me down. If you're willing to wait, I'd need a few more days to catch up. If not, that's cool too. I don't want to hold up the rest of the group. I can catch up on my own and rejoin you then....

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Though I finshed Chapter 2 weeks ago I haven't gone beyond; holidays and illnesses are slowing me down. If you're willing to wait, I'd need a few more days to catch up. If not, that's cool too. I don't want to hold up the rest of the group. I can catch up on my own and rejoin you then....

Then you are caught up ;) Geoff suggested Ch 3 not start until next week :thu:

David, I'm glad you're caught up, and I agree about the Double Bass.

Mark, are you sick too? I'm heading off to my doctor's office now. Don't worry, David's right. You're caught up - next week is for chapters 3 and 4. I hope you'll feel better soon.

Linwood, how's it going? Are you still with us?

Best,

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...