Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songwriters Soundoff! (introduce yourself)

Hello people

Well Ive been playing since the 60s, initially for my own amusement and then more seriously into songwriting and 4 tracks etc.

My guitar is never far away from me.

One year I went away for 2 weeks and didnt take it,,, I missed it bad but probably my family were glad of the peace and quiet.

Main influences are Beatles,Stones, John Denver, Dyllan and most of the old bluesers.

I love electric. acoustic, lap slide and harp.

best regds

Len

www.soundclick.com/bluesy10

Hi Stanthemailman

Oh I have to second you comments on the Kinks.. fantastic band and Ray Davies he is still going strong.

I listened to a recent radio show where he was in concert, solo and talking his way through his writing methods and career and playing through many of his hits.

One of the best hours Ive spent listening..for a long time.

regd

Len

• 2 months later...
My name is Moe Monsarrat & I have been a professional singer, bassist & composer for 42 years. I started playing in nightclubs in Tokyo in 1964 when I was 13 years old. I started writing poetry when I was in elementary school & somewhere along the line started putting music to it. I'm not sure how many songs I've written, but it's a lot. I was a staff writer for a publishing firm for a few years & write something nearly every day. I get calls to (of all things) come into a studio where a cd project is ongoing.They have an entire track recorded with all the instruments & vocals, but the producer has decided that he now hates the melody & lyrics.They take the vocals out before I get there & my job is to listen to the track & write a new song to go with what's there. Kind of a last ditch effort to salvage a track. A lot of times it works pretty good, but you can't really wait for inspiration. This weekend I will be in Gulf Shores, Alabama for the International Songwriters Festival @ the FloraBama Lounge on the beach. I will be playing with some friends of mine, Sonny Throckmorton(18 #1 hits) & Freddy Powers(6 #1 hits). These guys are some great writers for sure. I currently front two bands, Stop The Truck (original country...www.stopthetruck.com) & The Mau Mau Chaplains (roots reggae....www.maumauchaplains.net) I also am the bassist for Brittni Hoover/Patsy Thompson Band/Steve Carter's Little Big Band. Day gig is a studio bassist.
  • Like 1
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

Hey Moe! Thanks for sharing! That was a pretty inspirational intro, especially for a fellow bassist. :thu:

Would love to pick your brain on songwriting. I still have one foot in the door with NSAI-Detroit; I've come to one event as a guest but haven't signed up yet. I think I get one more before I have to "piss or get off the pot". ;)

Feel free to start a topic. I'll see if I can come up with something, too.

• Like 1

Ric, I'm happy to help if I can. Songwriting is often a skill that is learned from other songwriters as well as mining one's own talents. People like Sonny & Freddy are the guys I learn from at present. Sonny's style is very simple. Songs like " Smooth Sailing", "The Cowboy Rides Away", & "Looking For A Rondezvous" are all 3-4 chord songs. Yet they were all hits. Freddy Power's songs are much more jazz & swing oriented & you better be paying attention to the changes or he'll leave you lost in the woods pretty quick.Even so, he wrote plenty of hits..."I Always Get Lucky With You", "Friend In California" " Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn" & Texas & Oklahoma" "Little Hotel Room" There are all kinds of ways to make it happen. For myself, I'll pick simple, but won't rule out sophisticated.
  • Like 1
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

• 5 months later...

Wow this topic is huge. Ok well as for me I started about 7 years ago writing lyrics. I rap myself and thats how I started. But now I write lyrics for myself, lyrics for my songs for others to sing, plus I am getting into writing songs, sound engineering, and my 2 instruments of choice are Keyboards and AKAI MPC.

I had only written my own lyrics for rap up untill a year ago, then I started branching off into all these other areas. I am still going strong with my lyric writing though. Infact for some reason I counted how many songs I have written in the past year and I have wrote 78 full songs with about 20 more half done songs or ideas for songs. I geuss you never know how much your really doing till you reflect. Before I counted I didnt even think I had 15 songs to do a album with haha.

Well anyways, glad I found this forum it seems cool. I just started checking it out today. Feel free to say hi, ask for advice or help, or w/e you like :).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

[font:Verdana]Hi, noob here...

I'm Néphos, an almost27yo european singer/songwriter. I'm from Sardinia, Italy, where I still live and want to live. I just make my own kind of music, been writing my songs since I was 15. Genres have changed, so am I.

Now I'm working on a project: recording a bunch of my more representative songs. I was never able to form a band, I'm not the kind, I prefer collaborating. So I asked some friends for their advice, help and performance too. I don't own a preofessional studio, so I'll have to rely on the secret powers of my soundblaster! :grin: I'm not a guitar player, but I do make my guitar play some kind of musical noise. The same for the piano, or less. That's just enough to sing along!

The lyrics are 85% English (some Italian), and I have to say that I just write what I feel or think (that means I never translated into English). Of course, since I'm not a ENS (English Native Speaker) there's a whole lot of errors, nonsense and false friends throughout the text. I'm here basically to find someone willing to help with that! :)

What else? mmm, dunno...

N:> Néphos[/font]

• Like 1
[font:Verdana]Sudden clearness, Falsify boundaries, Unveil things[/font]

• 14 years later...

Hi, all.  I'm new here, but I'm old.  I'm a relatively new composer and I say "composer" because I can't play and I don't write lyrics.   I played bass professionally in Rock, Jazz, and Country bands from the early 70s to the early 90s, but a car accident in 1993 ended my playing career.  Then in 2020, I discovered music notation software (specifically MuseScore) that enabled me to realize some of the musical ideas I get.  And I've learned how to export scores as sound files I can edit and publish.  My influences are broad, including Classical, Jazz, and Rock.

Here's an example:  

• Like 2

Hey!

I'm an amateur, hobbyist composer from Canada who mostly experiments with microtonal classical music, specifically music for retuned keyboard. I did lots of music when I was young but took a hiatus due to joining the army and doing mostly that for the last few years. But now I'm getting into it again and hope to meet other musicians and music lovers to make, find, and share dope music with.

My latest release (it's actually like a year old, I told you I'm a hobbyist lol) is below, and if you're interested in the theory behind it I wrote about it here.

Nice to meet all of you!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi!

Rene Asologuitar, singer songwriter from Seattle WA.

I started out composing songs and establishing my You Tube Channel when I retired in 2019.

I simply love music, and now dedicating my self to original music compositions and cover songs, as my daughter pushed me to create my own channel.

Thanks for the opportunity to hear music from other composers and simply enjoy musicians from all over the globe.

Respectfully,

Rene

• 1 year later...

I started playing drums at 11, and immediately got into a band with my neighbor. I started writing original songs and did the band thing for a while, traveling to Europe and playing with some serious musicians. Punctual, too! When I came back, I thought I'd buy a home studio. I already had drums/percussion, and bought a guitar, bass, keyboard, etc., microphones, a Tascam DP-01FX (which I still have/use).. I kept traveling, and would be in a short-term band.. I busked all over the world as well, partly to pay bills, but to try something I never did. When people come to your show, they're there to see you. But when someone is not expecting this, and takes notice and likes it, it was a great feeling.

After almost two decades, I wanted to expand, and started composing brass/orchestral, and finding a woman to sing vocables on my instrumentals. I don't have the money now, so my new thing is to make music with different tracks from unfinished works (mostly) but I wish I had a producer or just anyone to give me motivation, and another ear. For a decade, I've tried to find people or even one person to record - over the internet, or in person.

I had many dreams, but one was to have a record store with a recording studio, mostly to talk music, face-to-face.