Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A song? Gotta catch it!

Lee Tyler

What would you guys suggest for this idea.

Let's say I have a song and lyrics that popped in my head, and I know for sure I am going to lose "the moment" unless I sing the lyrics and melody line with basic chords from a small keyboard into some type of recording device. What kind of recording device should I have? A small Panasonic cassette recorder? If I capture these ideas, and especially the melodies whilst they are fresh, I will be in good shape. Today was a prime example. Had it ALL in my head. Got home.....and just fragments were left. Does this sound like a good idea to you guyz? Thanks in advance -----LEE

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi other Lee! :D

Yeah, I would highly recommend getting a little microcassette recorder (they also have little pocket digital recorders too but I haven't tried one) that is voice activated. Carry it with you everywhere - I have one in my glove compartment. That way you don't miss those moments!

Yup, get those ideas down on cassette. I have dozens of 90 minute cassettes filled with little noodles and lyrics and melodic ideas. They are a great resource to have "just in case." And listening back to all the ideas later will help you decide which ideas are more substancial than others.

I don't have one, but those little handheld digital recorders are sure cool. They even make multitrack versions, with beats and everything.

Here's a nifty little trick to remember:

If you've got a great musical idea going through your head, but nothing to record it with, just go find a telephone. Call your home number and leave yourself a message on your answering machine with the musical idea on it. When you get home, your song will be waiting there for you on the machine. :thu:

I've seen those suckers at radio shack about 2 years ago. I wonder if they sound somewhat OK musically, other than the "spoken word". Hmmmm. Thanks for the tip, other Lee. :cool:

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Hi other Lee! :D

Yeah, I would highly recommend getting a little microcassette recorder (they also have little pocket digital recorders too but I haven't tried one) that is voice activated. Carry it with you everywhere - I have one in my glove compartment. That way you don't miss those moments!

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

Multi-track you say??? :idea: GOTTAHAVEIT...GOTTAHAVEIT....ROFL!!! :D Thanks o-long-eared one!!! :D

Originally posted by dBunny:

Yup, get those ideas down on cassette. I have dozens of 90 minute cassettes filled with little noodles and lyrics and melodic ideas. They are a great resource to have "just in case." And listening back to all the ideas later will help you decide which ideas are more substancial than others.

I don't have one, but those little handheld digital recorders are sure cool. They even make multitrack versions, with beats and everything.

If you've got a great musical idea going through your head, but nothing to record it with, just go find a telephone. Call your home number and leave yourself a message on your answering machine with the musical idea on it. When you get home, your song will be waiting there for you on the machine. :thu:

Holy Moly! Is there anything they DON'T make nowadays???

Check it out. Click here.

Originally posted by whitefang:

Hey, Bunny! Love that answering machine idea. Just hope there's nobody else at home when you call!

Whitefang

That's happened to me more than once. http://www.420recordsgroup.com/images/shamedsmiley.gif My wife knows to let the answering machine keep recording when she hears a total psychopath http://www.420recordsgroup.com/images/crazysmiley.gif singing or whistling or beatboxing into the phone! Gotta love her! http://www.420recordsgroup.com/images/kissingsmileys.gif

quote:

If you've got a great musical idea going through your head, but nothing to record it with, just go find a telephone. Call your home number and leave yourself a message on your answering machine with the musical idea on it. When you get home, your song will be waiting there for you on the machine. :wave:

:thu:

I have some cassettes filled with ideas as well.

Problelm is finding stuff.

Without an index I usually get really frustrated trying to find some 30 second snippit in a 90 minute tape.

Seems like an invention is called for.

I do find it interesting. You'd think that if a melody or idea was that good it would not be forgotten so easily. WRONG.

Stardust is fleeting stuff.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Good tips all.

I have a hand held cassette with me most of the time, and if I forget it I use the trusty cell phone and leave myself a musical message.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

So how's this for goofy - I was at a CONCERT the other night (Glenn Tilbrook actually, it was great!) and a song idea popped into my head while Tilbrook was in the middle of his set! Now how the heck does that happen? And of course I can't be rude and start singing it to myself over the music...LOL... amazingly enough, I retained most of it and remembered it after the show was over. Talk about a challenge!

I guess hearing a really good songwriter can inspire you to write them sometimes. :D

Yeah, I definitely spaced out for several songs during the show. But then I was pretty sure I wouldn't forget it after concentrating really hard on it for awhile, so I just started listening to the music again and then in between songs I'd run through the idea again and make sure I still remembered. It was kind of nerve racking! :D

Now I just have to finish the freakin' thing!

I get song ideas often when listneing to others play.

I try and remember to bring a pen & some paper - really.

I dont think this makes Lee a nut- I think it makes her a songwriter. :P

Otherwise, I'd be a nut also - and this is clearly not the case.

Now excuse me - the voices are telling me to check out Georges forum. ;)

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

LOL Kendrix... yeah, I usually write lyrics down no matter where I am (I wrote them on a napkin the other night, which is a pretty common occurrence!), it's melodies or riffs that are the problem to remember, if I can't sing them into a recorder right away.

Sometimes I think of another song that can be used to jog my memory... like if it has a similar rhythm to another song or something. In this case, the feel kind of reminded me of REM's "Driver 8" (although I doubt you'd be able to tell that by the time I get done with it!) so if I thought of that song and my lyric, I could remember it... LOL.

Yes, catching stardust is not easy!

Kendrix, you're a nut, too. :D (Trust me, it takes one to know one! At least, that's what the voices say. :freak: )

Lee, I LOVE that song "Driver 8"!!! I'm an old school REM fan, so I absolutely cannot wait to hear your new song!!!

According to Kendrix's guidelines, I'm not a real composer either. I can't notate music on a staff efficiently. That's something I've always meant to learn, but like Kendrix said, it seems so "un-pop," so un-rock'n'roll! ;)

Keep us posted on the song, Lee!

Hey Lee F,

Did Glenn Tilbrook do his walkabout? The night that I saw him, he took the entire audience outside with him, playing "Pulling Mussels from the Shell" as he walked/ran around the block.

The best part was when we all went into the alley behind the club, and there was a police car parked in the alley. He crawled on to the police car without skipping a beat, and serenaded the two officers inside. In appreciation, they turned on their emergency lights.

One of the nicer concert moments in recent memory.

js

And also, get youself one of those little note books with the flexible pens. Keep it in your pocket like you do your wallet. Invent some shorthand so you can retain the flavor of the song. I wrote a few down without the shorthand note and could not get the flow again. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

js, no, Glenn didn't do any walking around at this show because it was pouring rain outside. But, when he played here about a year ago, he did take the entire audience outside and start walking down the block, singing and strumming as he went, of course. This one girl said she had a friend who lived down the street, and she called him on her cell phone and said, "Hey, can Glenn Tilbrook come over there and play? Along with about 100 people?" So everyone went into this guy's house, and he was a musician and had set up some mics in his living room and everything. Glenn continued to play in the guy's living room for half an hour with everyone squashed in there... LOL. He's too much.

Archived