Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which recording Software do you use

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yessir, I've been using Cakewalk for about 10 years! All I wanted was a quicker way to produce drum machine patterns...had I only known how much I would get into this stuff!! -I would like to forfiet the $500.00 and choose door number 3, Monty. ;) Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]All participants will receive lovely prizes.[/b][/quote]Cool!! I got samsonite Luggage and a box of Nutri-grain bars!![/b][/quote](in a dee snider voice) i got a rock! hey, you quoted yourself. [img]http://homepage.mac.com/wager/.Pictures/master4.gif[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by wager47: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]All participants will receive lovely prizes.[/b][/quote]Cool!! I got samsonite Luggage and a box of Nutri-grain bars!![/b][/quote](in a dee snider voice) i got a rock![/b][/quote]I got a book of carpet samples!!! BTW: I thought Pro Tools was synonymous with recording software. Why are all the votes falling on the cakewalk/sonar side? :confused:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Ya didn't have Cool Edit... I primarily use n-Track Studio but also use Cool Edit & Cakewalk and I'm playing around with Soundforge. So what do I win for having so many??? Yeah, I know, a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I'll take door number 12 instead... :wave:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

[quote]Originally posted by riffing: [b]Oh man, I used up all my lifelines. Does this mean I'm the weakest link and will get voted off the island? :freak: [/b][/quote]Not yet, WEJUS is the first to go... :freak: :D :D :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I've always been a Cakewalker for a few years now. Started out using Cakewalk Metro on my old 68k based Mac. Now, Home Studio 2002 (till my Sonar 2.0 comes in 5-7 business days) on my PC. :thu:

I've got three... My first non-hardware sequencer was C-Lab (later, Emagic) Notator. For just doing MIDI, Notator 3.21 on a Mega ST/e is pretty hard to beat. and of course, I got Logic, and later, Logic Audio Platinum as soon as they came out. Those have been my mainstays for years now. I also added Sonar a while back, and I'm glad I did. I never really cared fopr Cakewalk products in the past, but Sonar is a whole 'nuther level of power and professionalism for the people at 12 Tone / Cakewalk. And I've now got Pro Tools. Yeah, I resisted for as long as I could. The MIDI pales compared to Sonar or Logic, but the audio editing is very nice and I appreciate the compatability with so many other studios.

ok, sounds a litlle bit newbie , but i started wid PT le...(ok, i got sold!)) but havin' fun wid logic now, ( my fav) and now I keep hearing about cakewalk ‘but don’t see the benefits, am I being blonde here?…. Khan, I always need genetically engineered Guitar lines…….""{DEE-PEE-THREE-FOR-MEE!!! If you ever need any Genetically Engineered Guitar Tracks laid down, drop me a line )"" That’s how I keep ‘ everythin’ real…… Super *, I’m wid u, what’s wid Cakewalk? riffin', yo not the weakest link.....i lov ya work.... and now on 2 other tings,,, I’ve heard of "cool edit" but only in da most dubvious ways….can u enlighten me? Peace, natty [img]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/fk/butterfly.gif[/img]

Natty, the biggest advantage Sonar has over Logic is that it can do "Acid" (the program, not the genre) style looping in the same program, as well as sequencing and digital audio. Other than that, there's not much you can't do in Logic. But for somethings Sonar has the advantage - it depends on what type of stuff you usually do (or are doing at the moment) and what your personal preferences are. I still flat out prefer Logic based solely on MIDI, but for a couple hundred bucks, I don't feel I wasted any money on Sonar at all. BTW, "Sonar" is cakewalk's latest sequencer / DAW program. Cool Edit is supposed to have a new 2.0 version out now... I have not used it yet, or even seen anyone else using it. But for audio only editing on the cheap, the 1.X versions were pretty good. No MIDI though.

Phil, I do not use VEGAS but for AUDIO Multitracking, my weapon of choice is ACID. Quite similar operating things, great results. My vote was for SONAR/Cake.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I use Samplitude Studio 6.03. Aside from having only 4 Aux busses instead of 64, and no surround goodies, it's the same as Samplitude 2496 and cost a lot less. Samplitude is PC only, if it were Mac only, I would have gotten a Mac for the audio-only computer, it's that good and different than other DAW programs. The MIDI stuff is a joke, don't know why they even put it in. Out of curiousity, since I haven't used MIDI in a long time, I tried out Samp's MIDI - on my setup it doesn't even work. So it's an audio only program AFAIC. Samplitude lets you work at two extremes- "tape machine/mixing board" and "object oriented", or combine the two. The object approach means you 2ble click on any wav file or segment of a wav file and a dialog pops up with fades, eq, DX plugins, destructive and non-destructive effects, everything. Obviously this is ideal for heavily editing and "constructing" music, but what's really great about it is that allows the most purist do-no-harm editing work possible, and it's no surprise that there's a very high percentage of classical guys in the newsgroup. . For example, I multitrack a bunch of stuff, play, rewind, play, everything is how it should be before it hits the ADC. But there's a couple of hissing es's. Instead of monkeying with the whole track, plugin, whatever, I just click on either side of the es with a keyboard shortcut key pressed, and the es becomes an object (with autocrossfades to taste). 2ble click the little object, the dialog pops up, roll off some highs with native eq, that's it. So for example I have a tune without any eq or editing at all except two individual es's softened, followed by a segue that sounds like synthesis but is actually mic'd household objects tweaked beyond recognition with literally hundreds of "objects". It's very fun and easy to flip-flop between the two approaches- I just got a funky old 1/4" reel-to-reel and I'll use it in the same way, both straight tracking and musique-concrete razor-blade madness. Samplitude has been acquired by Emagic; Emagic president Sven Jung specifically mentioned strengthening Emagic's place in the PC world in the announcement. The programs are being combined according to the guy at the Messe- Logic Control, VSTi's, POW-R dither for Samplitude coming up. If they do it right, it'll be the kick-ass native DAW program of all time IMO. And finally the program will get some real advertising and support (or be gutted for Logic then killed off, depending on whom you ask. :( ) -Bobro

NTrack for main audio sequencing, Cakewalk Express Gold loaded with a mixdown of what I have put together for playing the sampled tracks into, save as a midi file and render to audio via Audio Compositor and the linked soundfont file. I work with three main programs but it's all pretty simple yet slick and fast.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

C, I'd like to buy a vowel, so I can spell Sonar XL. The coolest thing about Sonar is internal software synths. I have over 30 soft synths. A lot I got from the K-v-R website for free: http://www.kvr-vst.com./index.php and some I bought. I think software synthesis is the most amazing recent deveolopment in music technology. There are a few DXi synths out but most of the instruments are VSTi so you need a VST-DX wrapper to use them in Sonar

Archived