Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How did "THAT" song make it to the charts???

Anifa

Driving home tonight I decided to turn on some tunes on the radio and I almost hit a guard rail when I heard what has to be the worst song since "Rollercoaster" that was released back in the 70's. I believe the name of the song was "There Goes My Skirt" and it STUNK. There was NO real music, no real words, NO TALENT. I know that sex sells; BUT.... can't we at least have a little bit of something to listen to???? Creeps!!! :freak: Oh My! Oh My!

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kcbass:

Anifa,

Here`s a little secret I learned. When you send your cd to the radio station, be sure Ben delivers it. That`s Benamin Franklin. Kcbass

KC

CLOUT is OUT...... You're right, Ben Franklin, some DEAD GUY, must have delivered the CD to the radio station in his GHOSTLY mannerism and scared the absolute crap out of the D.J.'s. After being knee deep in the ooze, I guess they figured if they were going to smell like it, they might as well play something that sounded like it too. :D

Rammer

i bet it had a bridge!!!

Should be water under the bridge

Skip

actually, it probably had an equally inane matching belt...

Did you mean to say insane because that's what you would call anyone that considers this garbage to be music.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

At the risk of being unpopular, I agree w/Gratte. The "Skirt" song may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not quite the abomination Anifa's making it out to be. It's kinda catchy, and it's got a nice little groove. The song ain't full of earth-shattering insights about the nature of humanity, but it's a silly pop song, fer cryin' out loud.

Don't look for deep political commentary on Ren & Stimpy, and you probably shouldn't expect to find fart jokes on The NBC Nightly News.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

At the risk of sounding detached, since the song just now made it to the midwest, I suggest keeping it isolated to a male audience because they are the only ones that would find talent anywhere in the song. The only rise in the song is in the pleats and there is nothing that I heard that makes it worth buying to give it a second listen. I heard it twice on radio and the second time was one too many. Sorry, but I liked Britney's song Slave better than that one; and I was not impressed with it at all. It's sad when one judges talent based on visual, and T & A carries a tune.

Oh by the way, call me a stuffed collar if you will, but I'd be more inclined to watch NBC news than I would be to suffer through an episode of Ren and Stimpy. I don't watch much TV because I'm too busy reaching out to make LIFE happen for me to sit and watch it pass me by.

I totally agree with those who are against the song, I was thinking that just the other day when I was watching it on MTV. I think the song's music and beat are pretty uninspiring and the "oh my" hook is just flat out boring. For a song that's supposed to be selling sex I don't even think she's that attractive. heck I'm a 20yr old guy.. am I supposed to like this?
Em7add11 - The chord everyone knows how to play.

i think everybody's entitled to their opinion one way or the other...i don't really give a rat's ass because songs come and go...hell, i never even heard the song you guys are talking about, (it must be cathcy if it's got you all talking about it though)... but i can't wait to see the video...the thing i do take issue with is saying that only GUYS would like something that bad, because THIS JUST IN: 80 per cent of the teeny bopper record buying audience are GIRLS..and that includes BRITTANY, RICKY and anyone else who's name ends with Y...so if you don't like the song that's fine, but don't use it as another excuse to blame something on men...how do you get headphones on with such a big chip on your shoulder getting in the way....

P.S....most "Fashion" magazines are owned and published by women, too...when in doubt, blame men... :confused:

Ani:

I declined to comment prior to this point on the song in question for two reasons:

1) I haven't heard the song yet, and I'm probably thanking God in heaven that I haven't.

2) I'm an elitist - I believe in intellectual music and intellectual lyric. I believe in complex songwriting. I believe in pushing the envelope.

The turn pop music has taken over the last ten years absolutely depresses the hell out of me. There's two options on pop radio - either people that have no clue how to play instruments or write songs, and just sing and shake their asses as a result (Britney Spears et al), or people that have no clue how to play instruments or write songs and do so anyway :mad: (Godsmack, Korn, Vertical Horizon)

So for a song like this to surface that is utterly inane on all points, doesn't even make me flinch anymore. I'll just triddle on down to the record store and buy Dream Theater's new album and say "fuck you" to teenypop and numetal.

Well I'll weight in on the side of Ani'Fa & Griff.

I feel pretty much the same about that junk. I listen to alot of different music. Some alot, some not so often. That genre is one that's not so often. Reason? Most of it is horrible.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Hey Thanks to those who oppose the trash-can radio of these days; seems I was beginning to be the underdog here and I had opened a can of worms for myself. :D I'm good at getting in deep and I need all the support I can get with this one.

Rammer

the thing i do take issue with is saying that only GUYS would like something that bad, because THIS JUST IN: 80 per cent of the teeny bopper record buying audience are GIRLS..and that includes BRITTANY, RICKY and anyone else who's name ends with Y...so if you don't like the song that's fine, but don't use it as another excuse to blame something on men...how do you get headphones on with such a big chip on your shoulder getting in the way....

I let my hair down when I put the phones on :rolleyes: One point I would like to make about the 80 per cent that you mentioned; many teeny boppers have MOTHERS that pride themselves in raising daugthers with good morality, and MOTHERS often distribute FUNDS while monitoring what comes in and out of the home. "MY" daughter does NOT support this type of trash. When Britney came out with her song "Slave," she lost a respectable audience. I was appalled by the Dominatrix, Master, Slave content that soared over the heads of the average listener; her panting like a dog in heat and such. It was a disgrace to her beauty and I banned the purchase of that CD explaining to my daughter why. I'm sure that her "Slave" CD did not gain equal popularity to her previous releases and as time goes on, she too, will fade away. I really liked her song, "I'm not a Girl," that followed Slave and almost forgave the issue; but I was let down again when I allowed my daughter to attend the movie she starred in, "Crossroads." I was insulted by the INNOCENT portrayal of a young girl who met a stranger that she was attracted to, and within a day or so, she went to bed with him and fell in love. This kind of CRAP doesn't happen in real life and the presentation of using a teenage idol to give young girls the impression that it's okay to sleep around with strangers sealed the cap on any further adieu with Miss Britney in my home. When Britney is all used up, they will find another to replace her. I don't know who Britney's audience is now, but it would have to be in homes where Mothers don't pay attention to what their daughters are learning, they simply don't care, or there's the male genre contributing to the cause. I'm not trying to throw a negative light on the men in general Rammer, there are truly some respectable men out in this world and obviously you are one of them to take offense to a sexist remark; but, you know as well as I that the sexual exploitation of females carries a vast market for entertainment. It's not ALL little girls and their mothers who are buying this crap! I guarantee you, the Rolling Stone Magazine that splashes elicit shots of the female teenage idols is not a purchase made by a female teeny bopper.

I don't know the name of this "SKIRT" artist, nor do I care unless the "Skirt" song turns up on a CD where another song initiated the purchase; if so, my mother made me burn a Steppenwolf tape for the use of the word Go----m, so I will have no qualms in doing the same if need be.

And as far as my opinion of men... it's a good one...

I've seen as many Good MEN get ran over by witches spelled with a capital "B" as I have good women who have got reamed inside out by men that are jerks; so tone down the engines before you begin to think I'm a man hater, I'm far from it. Peace!!! I didn't mean to imply that men liked bad songs, SOME just like mini skirts and lots of cleavage :D . Take a listen to the song, I'm interested in hearing what you think of the musical quality.

Ani....i'm not going to keep posting on this topic, it's not worth it...and i'm not listening to the song before replying to your last post, because how good or bad the song is isn't the issue...if we start a thread every time we don't agree or like a song, this would be a pretty useless forum, but you can't take back what you said about men in the first place, and i can take the quote and put it in big black letters here, but i couldn't be bothered...you said alot of things in your last 2 posts that could be quoted and thrown back at you, but i'll just blame that on being very uptight and generally frustrated...do you agree with burning books too???...or only CD's...

Originally posted by anifa:

Oh by the way, call me a stuffed collar if you will, but I'd be more inclined to watch NBC news than I would be to suffer through an episode of Ren and Stimpy. I don't watch much TV because I'm too busy reaching out to make LIFE happen for me to sit and watch it pass me by.

I was about to agree with you until you laid into Ren & Stimpy.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Griff,

I believe in intellectual music and intellectual lyric.

Perhaps this is why I just can't get into this type of a song because as Popmusic suggested, a clueless dolt would be an appropriate expression used to describe the tone and implication behind the song.

Rog,

I'm sorry 'bout Ren & Stimpy; maybe if they had put a little more artwork into the animation I could have got past the first couple of episodes. Why'd they have to make 'em SO UGLY :confused: In reading what I just wrote I just caught myself... Oh boy, here I go judging a book by it's cover; guess we can all be guilty of the visual thing, hunh? :D

Ram,

You're right, it's not worth exhausting any more grief over he said she said. I can be cantankerous at times and even callused on certain issues; it comes from years of experience in a professional world. I disagree with the comment because how good or bad the song is isn't the issue...if we start a thread every time we don't agree or like a song, this would be a pretty useless forum If you have ever sat in on a songwriter's workshop, it is not unusual to bring such a topic as this and then go in and truly evaluate just WHAT makes a song marketable. It's all part of learning the craft and staying in tune with what the market is selling and why it sells. This thread took on a different flavor when you took offense to a general comment not directed at anyone inparticular. IAs for my second address in response to your defense on the male gender, I approached the issue in an apologetic manner which I'll do no more as it was not received as such by you. In a personal way, yet professionally speaking, I brought up reasons that can cause an artist to lose popularity and decline in record/CD sales.

No, I don't burn books; I just don't buy them if I don't like them. I, myself, actually write some erotic songs but I try to present them with class. I'm a mother hen when it comes to my daughter; UPTIGHT, maybe... but in today's day and age, unless virtue it taught inside of the home a child has no clue as to what it's all about. Sometimes it takes becoming a parent to understand what effect radio airplay has on it's youthful audience.

unless virtue it taught inside of the home a child has no clue as to what it's all about.
Amen to that. I'm raising my 3 year old son right - we listen to King Crimson, some of the tamer Mr. Bungle, Mussorsky, Beethoven, and many other vintage musical works. And you know what? He dances to "21st Century Schizoid Man" :)

Perhaps my original point has been somewhat muddied in this discussion....

What I was saying about the "Skirt" song is that it's just a stupid pop tune -- there's no need to read too much into it. It's pablum for the masses. In my opinion, if you were looking for something soul-stirring and uplifting, you made a mistake by turning on the radio in the first place.

The song is an adequate example of its genre -- pop. It's not trying to be anything else. That's all. I seriously can't imagine why it could offend anyone so much.

I haven't seen the video (I don't have cable or time to watch TV,) but I can imagine it features some scantily clad women gyrating around, etc. Whoopee. What else would one expect from a song like this?

When I brought up Ren & Stimpy and The NBC Nightly News, I was just using examples of contrasting entertainment options -- not recommending them. Do what you want with your time, but don't look for Kafka in a comic book. You won't find it there (unless comic books are a lot different than the way I remember them). This was my point.

Here's the thing I find most depressing in this thread (and in many threads like it):

We're all artists -- every one of us. We're passionate about our art. We're also human, which means we all have opinions. This is expected. We have likes and dislikes based on our various frames of reference. One artist's trash is another's treasure and so forth. However (and this is the depressing part for me), for some reason I find many of us ripping songs or artists to shreds based on personal preferences. People hate Limp Bizkit, Britney, The Backstreet Boys, Linkin Park, Korn, DMX, etc. Everything is subjective, and there's something out there for everyone. How hard would it be to simply ignore the stuff you don't like -- y'know, leave it alone? How does complaining about it help you? Are you looking sympathetic voices?

I'm not claiming to be a perfect artist or person, but I DO manage to allow for human diversity in art and the world. Whatever I don't like, I just ignore.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Actually, there IS a Kafka comic book. Harrowing is the word for it, visually and otherwise.

There's a lot of stuff on the radio I don't like. But because I am a commercial composer, I listen to all of it, and look for the kernel. At the risk of sounding pretentious, I'm going to quote myself, from one of the "Business" columns I write for Keyboard's (excellent, I should add) "411" section: "'Hey, Jude' and 'Yummy Yummy' have something in common, and as a songwriter, you should figure out what it is."

Now, if anybody ever plays that "Follow Me" thing by Uncle Cracker within my earshot again, I may resort to violence. But there's something to be learned even from your nemesis tunes.

- Jim Bordner

Jim Bordner

Gravity Music

"Tunes so heavy, there

oughta be a law."

Wow!!! I go away for an 8 hour workday and come back to a loaded topic. Geez :rolleyes: First of all, I posted this topic impulsively upon hearing a song for the first time. I caught the tail end of the song while driving my children home from a weekend visit with their Dad, the dreaded EX, so needless to say there was already tension in the air. Within the course of a 25 minute drive the song came on again and my daughter asked if I wanted to listen to the WHOLE song; so we all listened. I kept WAITING and WAITING to hear something interesting to pull the song together to give it some kind of depth. On a first full listen, I did not pick up on any interesting rhythmatic changes; sounded like a preset drum beat without fills or rollover effects throughout the entire duration of the song. I did not hear any exciting chord progressions or instrumental leads, and certainly the words offered NO intellectual stimulation what-so-ever. In all fairness, if someone will tell me what the actual name of the song is, I will look it up and give it another listen with an objective ear. If the talent displayed in this tune all throughout is all it takes to write a HIT pop song; perhaps I'm putting too much effort into song structure and keeping in tune with an interesting story line. Without having it before me to analyze it, I would guess that the song was written using three or four chords. I could turn stuff like this out a dime a dozen; with little or no effort I might add.

Popmusic

If that's not what the song is about (I haven't heard the whole thing), then I take that point back

If you got to listen to a 30 second clip, you heard the whole thing because from that point forward it was continued repetition. I was not implying that those who listened to the song were clueless dolts; I was merely agreeing that the singer was presenting that image as you had suggested. My implications were that the men were enjoying the mini skirts and cleavage which made them a little more partial in evaluating the quality of the song. :eek:

OKAY, in my VERY OWN WORDS this poem was posted on April 1, 2001 in the Waxing Philosophy... string opened by Tedster and also this poem has been published in my website for well over a year.

Diversity

For every ear that listens

to a song in admiration,

there will be an ear that

mutes the sound.

For every eye that

beholds a vision of beauty,

there will be an eye that

looks away in scorn

For every hand extended

offering goodwill,

there will be a hand that's

pulled away in spite

It is separation from the ridicule

of others that allows us the freedom

to be who we are,

and diversity provides us

propriety of distinction

Ani`Fa

copyright 2001

CMDN

I'm not claiming to be a perfect artist or person, but I DO manage to allow for human diversity in art and the world. Whatever I don't like, I just ignore. This almost echoes a poem that I wrote a few years ago about the very subject.... and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm the one GUILTY of opening this topic. I'm ashamed of myself. Maybe we should look back to Madonna's "Spank Me" and get this all over with. :D At least "Spank Me" had music composition behind it and was delivered by a talented vocalist. Disgusting as Madonna can be at times in her television appearances and in her book; the woman CAN sing. The lyrical vibes are about the same as in the Skirt song; but the talent presenting the song made all the difference in the world as far as being able to listen to the song without critical judgment.

Em7

The Pusher makes me laugh every time I hear it--the lyrics are SO ridiculous

In all honesty; my Mother, having been of a strong religious background, condemned the song Pusher for the use of the word Godamn. Even at a youthful age, I argued the meaning and intent projected behind the writing of the song. My mother's stance being that the song was taking the Lord's name in vain; my argument being that when listening to the message being delivered in the song, there were actually two distinct words being used; God, damn the Pusher! Throughout studies in Theology, one will find the use of the the word Damn written in scriptures throughout every Bible. The Pusher was a song written originally to bring awareness to teens innocently getting tangled in with the wrong crowds and was putting the message out to avoid the Pusher. It received HEAVY ridicule from the churches and critics, and was jerked out of the homes of thousands. I have not heard the song for many years, but I've never forgot the strength in the message that it had to deliver; believe it or not, it was actually anti-drug! This song was banned, yet songs by the likes of Harry Chapin and others that contained lyrics such as, "Me, I'm flying in my Taxi; taking tips and getting stoned," (which were lyrics promoting the use of drugs) were actually accepted by religious families without scorn. I never quite understood the controversy on that song... The message that I received from my parents was that, "It was OKAY to do drugs, but it was a sin to curse!" :freak:

I look for lyrics that speak to me when I listen. Oh my, Oh my, does nothing for me. IMO, the Pusher was a great song; and STILL is if you ever listen beyond the naughty potty mounth.

Originally posted by rammer24:

i'm not going to keep posting on this topic, it's not worth it...

So, Why have you posted on this topic twice since you made the statement?

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I'm not claiming to be a perfect artist or person, but I DO manage to allow for human diversity in art and the world. Whatever I don't like, I just ignore.

This almost echoes a poem that I wrote a few years ago about the very subject.... and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm the one GUILTY of opening this topic. I'm ashamed of myself. Maybe we should look back to Madonna's "Spank Me" and get this all over with. At least "Spank Me" had music composition behind it and was delivered by a talented vocalist. Disgusting as Madonna can be at times in her television appearances and in her book; the woman CAN sing. The lyrical vibes are about the same as in the Skirt song; but the talent presenting the song made all the difference in the world as far as being able to listen to the song without critical judgment.

Anifa...

Yeah. I hear ya. Happens to all of us.

Some music (when heard under the right conditions) can just hit us in that funny, knee-jerk spot, and we get annoyed enough to say something like,"What IS this crap, and WHY is it on the radio?" When this happens to me, I'm usually in a bad mood for some other reason and not in a really proper mindframe for music appreciation. Oddly enough, next time I hear the same song, I tend to be in a different mindset, and I can find something I like (or appreciate) about it. If I still hate it, the song goes into the "Why Do I Hate This Song?" file. These songs often intrigue me more than the ones I like... although I must admit that it often takes a lot of effort on my part to give a song like that repeated listens -- like I said, I usually just ignore stuff that doesn't speak to me. I'm trying to break myself of this habit, because I think I should be able to find SOME kind of value in any music.

BTW, I agree w/you about Madonna. I think she's great -- she's a real hard worker who has managed to carve herself a solid niche in the pop music world, which is notoriously hard on women and where artist shelf-lives tend to very, very short.

Oh yeah, I checked out some of your songs, and I agree w/the folks who said you have a cool voice. I'd like to hear your stuff played by an actual band or programmed with some funkier beats and slightly different instrumentation.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Archived