Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs that made you stop and say, whoa!!

We've all had the experience. The first time I heard Alanis M's "You Outta Know," I almost wrecked the car. What are some songs that really hit you the very first time you heard them?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VISIONS by Stevie Wonder

It really made my skin crawl. It's got to be one of the greatest songs ever written. I'm in awe every single time I listen to it. Don't think I'll ever tire of it...

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Well, there are a lot of pop songs that hit me...usually because it's so rare that I take notice of a pop song. And my family has pop radio on alot. So, if there's something unusual about them, I notice. Most of the ones I notice go nowhere though, because they're so abnormal. And it's even rarer that I know who they're by, because the radio never says.

A song I really liked (I think they even played it twice on the radio) was Martin Page's "In the House of Stone and Light"...

There's a sort of unusual song out now...sounds like it's by some pop princess..but the music track almost sounds like Windham Hill set to a beat. Very unusual. Vanessa someone...I think the song is called "1000 Miles".

Yeah, I admit, I'm a closet "Alanis" fan. Especially when she's nake...uh...yeah, her music is swell. And, truth be damned...Sheryl Crow too. Some of her stuff has sounded quite heavily Beatle-influenced. And Shawn Colvin.

There's been tons of stuff that hit me right off...but, a lot of it is sorta obscure. Can't think right off.

So...I'll shut up now.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Todd Snider & The Nervous Wreck doin' "Late Last Night" on an Austin City Limits show.

It's

HERE . It's unforunately in RA but the guy playing lead guitar just blows me away.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Purely for the writing:

Shiner - The Egg (both song & album)

Refused - Liberation Frequency, New Noise, Summerholidays vs. Punkroutine... pretty much anything off of "The Shape of Punk To Come"

Econoline Crush - Sparkle and Shine (the solo just sings)

U2's "With or Without You." I will not get into how deeply this song moved me.

U2's "Streets with no name," and "Heartland"

Afghan Whigs "Debonair"-this is the most wicked rock song around.

Damn it Dan it's too many.

"Would" Alice in Chains- I used to go into hysterics every time I heard this song. I loved it way too much.

"Smells like Teen Spirit" Kurt Cobain-This is another one of those personal ones for me.

I know it's a ton more. Music floors me quite often. Two more.

"Superstar"-Luther Vandross

And last but surely not least

Special Delivery's "I destroyed your love for me"-This song may be the best thing I've ever heard the human heart and voice produce.

Might be more mistakes in this post than usual. I had to hurry before I got kicked off line.

Namaste

Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Originally posted by daklander:

Todd Snider & The Nervous Wreck doin' "Late Last Night" on an Austin City Limits show.

It's

HERE . It's unforunately in RA but the guy playing lead guitar just blows me away.

Great asskickin' clip, Dak...Sounded kinda like the guitar player was playing a bit of slide, and then pretty much straight rock and roll...great stuff!

I love songs that take the listener on a musical journey with contrasting sections and moods. I also love "perfectly produced" songs.

Some examples:

Seal: "Don't cry"

Phish: "Theme from the bottom"

Neil Finn: "Sinner"

Genesis: "Driving the last spike"

George Michael: "Hard day"

Mark Cohn: "Walking in Memphis"

Faith No More: "Epic"

Living Colour: "Cult of personality"

Beatles: "A day in the life"

Pink Floyd: "Comfortably numb"

Christopher Cross: "Sailing"

Lyle Lovett: "Bears"

As you can see from the examples, this quality of songwriting can occur in any genre.

Originally posted by BassGuy:

Mark Cohn: "Walking in Memphis"

Living Colour: "Cult of personality"

Beatles: "A day in the life"

Hey BassGuy!

These are three of my all time favorites!! In all cases, they blew me away from the very first listen. When a song does THAT, it's chugging on ALL cylinders.

Great picks!!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

when I was 13 - Highway to Hell ACDC

Runnin' with the Devil VH

" " 16 Time Pink Floyd

Riders on the Storm The DOORS

when I was 18 Axis-Bold as Love (entire album)jimi

FM Steeley Dan

" " 21 Life's Been Good Eagles

24 Melissa Allman Bros.

It depends on my age and my mindset.

I am going to be 35 next month. Right now I would say that Vienna by Billy Joel really hits me where I live.

It's not that I am developmentally disabled ... I just have a latency problem.

Here is just a few of what would be a very long List:

"Run to the Hills" Iron Maiden

Heard this song on MTV when it came out and said "Whoa", and I was not into Heavy Metal at that time.

"Limelight" Rush, same thing, heard it on MTV when they used to play that stuff.

Most Recently,

"What it is" Mark Knopfler off of "Sailing to Philadelphia", which I think the whole album is highly underated, and I highly recommend it for anyone who likes Knopfler's music. It won't dissappoint. :cool:

Hoo...

There are a zillion of them, but some of the toppers for me are:

"Out Of Step" by Minor Threat. The whole album. Holy crap. Hit me right in the guts and stayed there.

"(Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Gonna Go" by Curtis Mayfield. Amazing bass sound, sick orchestra and poignant lyrics.

"Sound Of Da Police" by KRS 1.

"Officer from overseer.

You need a little clarity? Check the similarity:

The overseer rode around the plantation

The officer is off patrolling all around the nation"

-- what a lyric. Just brilliant, and it's funky as shit, too.

"Becoming" by Pantera. Holy crap, part II, the sequel. Tightly written song with ridiculous musicianship -- check out the double bass stuff.

"Samba Pa Ti" by Santana. I almost cried the first time I heard it.

Man, I could go on forever with this list. I'm always floored by music. That's why I love it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Well, I sort of get blown away every time I hear a Steely Dan song. There are a million great artists and bands that have many, many great songs, but Steely Dan has something special. This is something I can't say about any other artist/band out there that I've heard:

I love every single song ever recorded by Steely Dan!

It's amazing. Walter and Donald: Your the best!

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

"A Warm Place" NIN....

"Silence" Delerium w/ Sara M.

"Coma White" Marilyn Manson

"Electric Head Pt.1" White Zombie

"Pasties and a G-String" Tom Waits

"Reach Down" Temple of the Dog

..god, there's got to be a billion more, but these ones definately are on my top list.

Shiver

Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Originally posted by Shiver Pasties and a G-String" Tom Waits
Don't ask me why this made me think of John Hiatt. Maybe the "ai" or "ia" in the last name and the simple first name? Weird. Anyway, John Hiatt's "Have a little Faith in Me" completely floored me when I first heard it. Now here comes a flood, bear with me guys

Bonnie Rait w/Bruce Hornsby-"I can't make you love me if you don't" -floored

Don Henley w/ Bruce H "End of the Innocence" - on the ground

Chaka Khan w/ Bruce H- I can't remember the title something to do with still loving somebody. Some of the most incredible lyrics I've ever heard. Stopped me in my tracks. If anyone knows the title Post it for me please.

Bruce H & the Range- "Mandolin Rain"- Think Bruce does something for me?

The Isley Brothers-"Voyage to Atlantis"-If I ever do a song/recordng of this magnitude I won't have to do anything else.

Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Originally posted by JoachimDyndale:

Well, I sort of get blown away every time I hear a Steely Dan song. There are a million great artists and bands that have many, many great songs, but Steely Dan has something special. This is something I can't say about any other artist/band out there that I've heard:

I love every single song ever recorded by Steely Dan!

It's amazing. Walter and Donald: Your the best!

Ahhhhhhhh. Yes. Another member. (secret wave) :wave:

Aside from Steely Dan, who slay!!!......

Some of the times i can remember being just floored by a tune were when i heard;

Kashmir(zep)

Back in the high life(Winwood)

Dirty pool, live at Carnegie hall(srv) Holly fuck!

The Nag,(scofied, off Blue matter)Double holly fuck!!

Lounge fly (stp)

Various Prince tunes

so many others

i love music.

ooops...totally forgot one:

"Detox" by Strapping Young Lad. Anyone heard this before? this guy WAILS... never heard anyone scream like this before. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Devon Townsend at a show here once. What a terrifically nice fellow. The whole band actually. They're very nice...very goofy.

Cheers,

Shiver

Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

I'm a huge disciple of old timey, bluegrass, and blues......but I have to admit 21st Century Schitzoid Man blew me away when it first came out.

Bonnie Raitt singing "Lovers Will" still gives me shivers when I hear it.....

Rastaman Vibrations still gets me as well.

Pony Boy by the Allmans

Mississippi Queen by Mountain

In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins

Dig a Pony, by the Beatles

Something as done by Tuck and Patti

Feel Like making Love as done by Dread Zepplin

Wigglestick by Reverend Horton Heat

Chickamauga by Uncle Tupelo

In the Garden by Susan Tedeschi and Double Trouble

Angel Dust by Gil Scott Heron

Dim Lights thick smoke and loud loud music by Lester Flatt

Big City by Merle

Long Long Long, by George Harrison

Drunken Angel by Lucinda Williams

Panama Red and Lonesome LA Cowboy by New Riders of the Purple Sage

Sam Stone by John Prine

Mr Bojangles by the writer of the song, Jerry Jeff Walker

Desperado's waiting for a train, by Joe Ely

Poontango by Mojo Nixon

Since I been Loving you by Zep

The one I love by REM

Autobahn by Kraftwerk

Mark Isham's Vapors

Johnny Cash, Cocaine Blues

Johnny Horton, North to Alaska

Nashville Bluegrass Band, Blue Train

Steve Earle, Transcendental Blues and The Mountain

Lynyrd's Call me the Breeze

Green Grass and High Tides.....can't remember the band

Dragonfly, by Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush

Snakeskin Cowboys by Ted Nugent

George Benson doing Broadway

Emmylou Harris doing Roses in the Snow

Dan Tyminski and band doing Man of Constant Sorrow

Jewels in my Crown, by the Cox Family

The Thrill is Gone, by BB King

Shape I'm in by the Archangels

Brown Sugar by the Stones

I could go on forever here, in fact its made me remember music I want to listen to again......if my ears un-dull after tonights gig!!!!!! Its at an Irish bar too......Guinness.....pure nectar.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Hmm... some songs it's been a long time since I heard them for the first time, but...

"She's A Mystery Girl" - written by Bono, but it's on Roy Orbison's "Mystery Girl" album. Heard that for the first time while driving, had to pull over so I wouldn't bawl my eyes out.

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Paul Simon - STILL bawl my eyes out every time I hear it.

Have to echo jedi's vote for "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

"Ballad of Easy Rider", "Tomorrow Is A Long Time", "I'll Remember You", just to name a few of Dylan's...

"Pride (in the name of love)" - U2

"Pretty Persuasion", "Driver 8", "Radio Free Europe" - REM

"Under the Gun" - Little Steven

"The Devil's Right Hand" - Steve Earle

"Because the Night" - written by Bruce Springsteen, but most of us know the Patti Smith version.

"The Waiting" - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

"Walk in the Woods", "Put Down the Gun" - Peter Case

"A Million Miles Away" - Peter Case's former band, the Plimsouls

"Synchronicity I" - Police

"John Riley" - traditional folk song

"A Pair of Brown Eyes" - the Pogues

"Without Love", "American Squirm" - Nick Lowe

Richard Thompson - way too many to mention. "For Shame of Doing Wrong", "Dimming of the Day", "How Will I Ever Be Simple Again", "Civilization", "When I Get To the Border"... etc.

The Who - "The Kids Are All Right", "I Can See for Miles", "Love Reign O'er Me", "We're Not Gonna Take It/Listening To You"... well I could go on.

Stones - "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "The Last Time", "Satisfaction", "Brown Suger", "Honky Tonk Women", "Sympathy for the Devil", "Waiting On A Friend"... could go on some more... "You Got the Silver", "Connection", "Worried About You" are a few lesser known ones that really grab me.

Of course almost everything by Lennon/McCartney.

Too much to mention by Bob Marley, too.

In the "unsung songwriting heroes" who really made me go "whoa" category I'd nominate the following:

Marvin Etzioni - "You Possess Me", "I Can't Cry Hard Enough". Marvin's a songwriter in Los Angeles who cranks 'em out prolifically and they're almost always good, but these are probably my faves. I don't know that you'll ever hear "You Possess Me"... hmmm, oughta cover it maybe. "Can't Cry Hard Enough" was recorded by the Williams Brothers and has been used on several TV shows including an AIDS documentary I believe (the song was written about a friend who died of AIDS). Anyhow, if you ever get a chance to hear these songs don't pass it up.

Kenny Howes - "The Right Idea", "Let Me In", "Few and Far Between", "Exactly Like You". This guy is a local Atlanta songwriter and performer who REALLY knows how to do the power pop thing and has great songcraft for days.

"Matta Love", "Bad Lucky Street", "New Modern World" - Blake Rainey, singer and songwriter for another local band the Young Antiques. Once again, simple songs that grab ya.

"Little Tin Toys" - by Atlanta band the Chain Poets. If this doesn't make your ears stand up I don't know what will.

"Liquid Me", "My Mood Ring" - Orange Hat, yet another great local band. These guys write killer power pop in the XTC/Jellyfish vein. "Syd Barrett fronting the Hollies" is how one reviewer describes them.

Well. I guess that's enough for now. I guess I get bowled over pretty often. :)

--Lee

Todd Rundgren's "Utopia" theme...

Todd's "Initiation"...

Heck, a whole lot of Rundgren.

Hmmm..."Day After Day" Badfinger...

That song by Joni Mitchell..."Help Me I Think I'm Falling"...

A lot of stuff from the sixties...

"Both Sides Now" Sweet Judy Blue Eyes and Joni...

Suite Judy Blue Eyes...

Incense and Peppermints...Pictures of Matchstick Men...

Hey, I'm an old hippie...what can I say...

Some cool stuff from Zucchero...(Italian guitarist and songwriter)

IRON BUTTERFLY

"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"

No matter where I am or what I'm doing, if that song happens to come on (which is rare), I have to stop what I'm doing and listen to it--even if it's all seventeen minutes of it--which is the version I prefer, of course.

It brings back memories of things I have no memories about. :rolleyes: If you know what I mean. :cool:

Regards,

Dan Worley

IRON BUTTERFLY

"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"

of course any credible drummer had to do the solo. We had the the poster with the skeleton giving the finger with the black light on it. Home made built strobe lights. Big square wooden box painted black with a fan motor that had a disk with a hole in it so that the light would line up with the hole in the box.

Such an ambiance that was around then. First time the world was really being introduced to heavy music.

I hear that beginning of the song "Bent" by Matchbox 20. It really brings back the ambience that you would hear when you would go to a hall dance. Circa 1969. And what would be the songs we'd play. Yardbirds. "Heart Full of Soul".

Nashville Teens. "Tobacco Road". Animals "When I Was Young".

You know when Creedance Clearwater first came out they were like a Psychedelic band. Susie Q and I Put A Spell On you. Raved up with feedback.

Being the same age as some of you, I totally relate with all your choices. Especially Tedster. We loved Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer. I was there at the live at Fillmore West show.

I guess the ones that really stick for me are the ones I still use there approach. Of course I'm Mr. versatile now 30 + years later. I consider these my heavy extreme now.

"Dazed and Confused" Led Zeppelin. Actually all of LedZep1. I mean that sound is just amazingly powerful.

"Alright Now" by Free. This is how I check my lead sounds in my amplifiers. If it does a good job on Paul Kossoff's licks. It's a good amp for blues based rock to me.

Just so many things in every era.

Beatles (the greatest band ever in my opinion)

The Who and Elton John.

Pink Floyd. "Dark Side of the Moon"

I was just listening to "King of Hollywood" by the Eagles. Love the harmonized guitar lines and I've always thought Don Henley was a great lyricist. Always a good wit. "The End Of The Innocence"

U2 "With or Without You". Rattle & Hum album. Current album sounds excellent also.

ZZ Top. Billy Gibbons does just the coolest blues licks. I rip his technique off as completely as I can.

I've always had a taste for crossover country rock. Faith Hill, Shania Twain. Mary Chapin Carpenter. Juice Newton. Loved Linda Ronstadt stuff in her CountrtyRock era.

Foreigner "4" "Woman In Black" "Night Life". Mick Jones (He knows how to adjust a Les Paul and Marshall perfectly).

Current stuff. (anything made in the last decade is current to me). I thought Jagged Little Pill was a great production by Alanis Morrisette and Glenn Ballard. I loved his comment about using Adats (the vintage ones).

Sheryl Crow. Globe Sessions. Excellent job.

Current songs. Vertical Horizon. Eve 6. "Promise". I guess this is classified as Alt rock.

Bands like Korn are pretty impressive. Though it seems to just be one approach and I can only handle so much of it. I'd say the detuned sound is

what will stick in people's mind about the last few years when people look back on it. I'm not much on Rap but I'd say it's had an interesting influence on some of the new rock stuff. I like that Linkin Park song that has that line in it "in the end it really didn't matter". Use the Rap type intro and then goes to a melodical song line. I'm pretty much a melody guy. I'm open to anything that sounds interesting, though.

I love to collect singles. Even have 45's from when I was a kid. I had brothers and sisters. My two oldest sisters would always have dance parties. This would be when they were in their early teens around 1960. Always have dangerous juvenille delinquent guys in leather jackets show up at these parties. High heeled boots with taps. Quick to pool out there stillettos. Beat each other up. They weren't the plasticated Fonzey types Hollywood has since dumped into peoples mind. Always left an impression on my young mind how dangerous and tragic they seemed to be. Music. "He's A Rebel", etc. They were classified as juvenille delinquents and they would use the term Punks for them back then too. Punk is a very old term it wasn't just coined in the late 70's.

Brylcreem.

I was the star of the party (at least in my mind). I was 8 years old. I'd wow them all with how well I could do the Mashed Potatoes. Then get sent to bed.

First song that I ever remembered being totally enamored with. "Runaway" Del Shannon.

:D

I was in a Grandy's few years ago and I heard a song on their in-house music and it stopped me in my tracks it was so beautiful. It was "You Don't Know Me," the old Eddie Arnold tune but it was a very modern version, kinda new world like or whatever you call that genre. Female singer. Seems that maybe I found out who sang it but I can't remember who it was.

Neal McCoy, the country singer, has a version of the old Casino's song, "Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye" that stops me from doing whatever I'm doing. Something about that song that I really dig.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Just when I thought I'd heard it all, I found this classical guitar CD with Enrique Granados "Danza Espanola No.5". He died in 1916 but wrote music that is timeless.

I still remember some records that stunned me the first time I heard them. "They Only Come Out At Night" by Edgar Winter- especially hearing Frankenstein the first time. When I was 15 years old, I smoked half a Thai stick and listened to my brothers copy of "Fragile" by Yes. It opened my eyes to a world of music beyond my usual fare. Ahhh.....memories.

i'm sure we can all fill up alot of pages with this one...anyway,

"ONE" by U2...not a huge fan but that song gives me shivers

"ONE HEADLIGHT" by Wallflowers...when that B3 or whatever it is comes , and the the first line..."so long ago i don't remember when....", i still get shivers even though i've heard that tune a million times....

"AXIS:BOLD AS LOVE"...anything from that album....

"HIGHWAY STAR"...there's nothing like the feeling i get when i stumble out of bed and put it on first thing in the morning...what a way to start the day...

i can go on and on...can't we all...

oh yeah...."GENERATION LANDSLIDE" by Alice COOPER......."LA TA TA TA DA"........I'M OUT

Archived