Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cad Drum Mics

Hey All, Has anyone had any experience with the Cad Percussion kit? I know someone who just bought the six piece kit which contains 3 x ISM411 Tom Mics, 2 x ICM417 condensors and 1 x KBM412 kick drum mic. This kit was extremely cheap and I'm curious what the general feelings towards these things are. I'm not expecting them to be great, but for the price they were too good for him to pass up. Opinions anyone? -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I originally looked at the specification sheet on them, about 18 months ago. The tom mics seemed to have virtually the same characteristics as an SM57. The kick mic. had an slightly less prominent curve than the toms below 200Hz, which I originally thought somewhat backwards. Over about a 6 month period, Guitar Center ran a sale with the kit having three tom mics and a kick, for about $300. But, try as they said they did, I never saw anything in the store. Then, one day it dawned on me that I already had four SM57s, and two CAD E-100s in my collection. So, I went out and bought a Shure KSM-32 and called it a wash... :cool: I figure, if they were trying to mimic the SM57, then I probably should use an SM57... just my opinion.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Hey AM, According to the spec sheet with the mics this kick mic has a hell of a bump from about 45Hz to 150Hz (+22db at 70Hz) as well as a bump at 5K. I just checked the curve of the tom mic and the SM57 and, yeah, they are kind of similar although the SM rolls off at 50Hz much more drastically. For what it's worth, this 6 mic kit was about $350 Canadian, which puts it well under the $300US that GC wanted for the 4 piece kit. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I got the chance to try one of the "tom" mics today. I was recording a guitar so I set up the tom mic and a 57 side by side and recorded each to its own track. Hard to tell them apart. Not bad for a mic which probably retails for about $70 or so. -- Rob

I can't say anything about the drum mics but I have a friend who bought 4 CAD vocal mics at a next to nothing price. I grabbed one & did some recording with it & it was pretty darned good. I ended up getting 2 of them myself to supplement my other mics. The only problem I see with them is a lower feedback threshold compared to some of my other dynamic mics. They're pretty low noise & seem to handle LOUD input pretty well. If the drum mics are as good, go for it. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Archived