Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting Info on Magnetic Tape

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This means I need to gather up all the real to real tapes from my early band days, hope they still hold music, and try to find some one to convert them for me. Robert
This post edited for speling.

Hmmm, I have many 7" reels of common Sony and Radio Shack 1800 foot tapes from 1973 that are still playing fine. They spent most of their life stored vertically in a drawer, the last 6 years stacked flat, all in their boxes. I was scared to mount one, figuring it must have at least degraded to some print through, rendering my nostalgia useless. Someone told me to forget it, they've probably got print through by now. No problem. Sounds as good, and as poor, as it did in 1973 (from vinyl and FM). A few of them have dried out splicing tape so the leaders separate from the tape. I've got about 30 of these amateur tapes. Now they get played one by one until I find the odd gems worth transferring to digital.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

Does anyone make a cheap RtoR that will play most formats of the smaller tapes? I have quite a stack but my player was knocked out in a car accident many years ago. Robert
This post edited for speling.

Archived