Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what's wrong with this picture?

ok, anybody get the new sweetwater "newgear" catalog in the mail this week? what's up with the cover? basically it shows a clean-cut, pudgy white guy sitting in what could only be described as a gear-filled office cubicle. he's got 2 fingers on a synth keyboard and the other hand on a MAC computer keyboard. the guy's wearing dockers, an oxford shirt, a sensible belt, and sitting in a lumbar support chair. the only thing missing is a diet soda! yikes! rock and roll truly is dead. -d. gauss http://www.betteroffdead.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh dear, dgauss - apparently you didn't read very carefully ... it's a "Directory" not a catalog. I had to flip the thing over so as not to see the cover-dude 'cause I got embarrassed - seeing as how he was sitting in his pilot's chair in a fancy, clean room with a cool chock-full rack of brand-new PT gear and outboard stuff, diddling on a huge Macscreen ... and me sittin there as I was, where I was, reaching for the TP ...

Haven't seen the photo of which you speak. But think about this... If some of us having our midlife crisis were rockers in an earlier life, we are living out gear fantasies now. And pros doing corporate/weddings? So the person in the picture may look like more of their customers than years gone by. Also, if I'm going to buy from a company thru the internet/mail, I'd rather buy from geeks that are organized and respect my order - I'll get the gear info from other sources. I've bought gear from some freaked out looking characters that knew their stuff, and I've bought from some sleazy guys just because their price was good (but I went home and took a shower). You can't tell just by looking at people what it's going to be like !! Don't worry - I don't wear chinos and button-down shirts on my rock gig. And rock went corporate a few decades back, and broke out soon after. It's a cycle. Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]...a clean-cut, pudgy white guy sitting in what could only be described as a gear-filled office cubicle. he's got 2 fingers on a synth keyboard and the other hand on a MAC computer keyboard. the guy's wearing dockers, an oxford shirt, a sensible belt, and sitting in a lumbar support chair. the only thing missing is a diet soda![/b][/quote]That's the new "192kHz PT|HD" look. Eventually everyone will be using one system and sound and look the same... alpha...don't worry...you'll probably never make that geek team!!! :D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I'm sorry to say that a lot of that is what the music-making audience is these days. The kids are playing video games. And a lot of it's OUR fault for spending more time on choosing gear than choosing the right lyrics. Do you really hear much music these days on a mass-market level that's compelling?

[quote]Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly Tone: [b] So maybe he's an "Operator" or "Technician" instead of a mixer, producer, engineer or artist. Sly :cool: [/b][/quote]Naaah, obviously he's a keyboardist!!! Botch, keyboardist.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

"More time on choosing gear than lyrics": Craig, did you notice my post about nonsense lyrics? It was #99 with an anchor and dropped below sonar tracking depth in short order. I suspect that part of the industry's current woes have to do with an indifference to meaning and message in music, as long as the ear candy is catchy enough.

Archived