Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

d gauss is inspiring me

all these trips hes taking is making me want to travel. i have been practically up and down the east cost more times than i can remember, hit just about every state more than a few times, all the big cities. and i have been to houston and austin, and then colorado and onto LA... but never north of there towards SF and humbolt ;) and up to Potland and seattle. i have never been anywhere in the midwest. memphis i would like to see, i would like to see chicago... nawleans, before the ice caps melt and sink the city. i would like to float down the mississippi... smoking a corncob bowl watching the trees go by.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm headed to Houston and then on to Natchez the 16th, though ole D didn't inspire it. Just hate to fly, but love the time to distance variable.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Hey everyone - haven't posted much lately because I'm getting ready for a 3 week long trip to the great Pac NW (no- not in the Ford Focus - in the Excursion!!!).... We're actually taking some time off for a happy family event and...don't you know that I still can't leave town without taking my keyboard. Good thing w have a big car! It's going to take some time to decompress - and I'm trying to avoid the temptation to take a heap of work with me. I'm most looking forward to visiting with family and friends, visiting the wonderful Pike Street Market, and just sitting on our porch on Camano Island with the husband and puppy, staring at the water. That will be the best! Seattle, here we come! :wave: :D lz

Alpha, I've been to both, and I would hit Nashville over Memphis in a hartbeat. Memphis was pretty crumby, in my opinion. My old band played there in '99, and after the show, we took a little walk around downtown just to look around. Scary. On two occasions, we saw people laying on matresses in allies, and a guy sleeping in a low level window ledge on the exterior of a building. We were solicited for money about 5 times, once by a woman balling her eyes out for $0.75 to catch a bus to who knows where. The smell of human excriment wafted from allies, and our hotel, a Red Roof Inn, had a bullet proof shield between to customers and the clerk. The night before, we played in Nashville, and the vibe was VERY different. It seemed like a fun place to be. There were lots of people out and about having a good time in the downtown district (stark contrast to the barren Memphis streets). Indie guitar shops are a plenty, and the city is CLEAN. Anyone care to verify or refute my recolections?

Favorite summer cross-country trip [cue Sting's "Fields of Gold"] ... Started in Cincinnati (only cause I was there) through Indianapolis north to Chicago (awesome town) up the lake (Michigan) through WI (camping, lakes and fields) through Minnesota (St.Paul is a good spot) head west to Dakotas (Black Hills and Badlands, Mt. Rushmore) to Wyoming/Montana (amazing hiking, natural atractions) to Idaho (Coeur D'Alaine - sorry for the spelling) to Seattle, WA. Then you can shoot south and hit Potland - er, Portland, down PCH ... to LA, or keep going to Mexico ... Woops, ya left the midwest long ago.

[quote]Originally posted by velvetoceansound: [b] we saw people laying on matresses in allies, and a guy sleeping in a low level window ledge on the exterior of a building. We were solicited for money about 5 times, once by a woman balling her eyes out for $0.75 to catch a bus to who knows where. The smell of human excriment wafted from allies, and our hotel, a Red Roof Inn, had a bullet proof shield between to customers and the clerk. [/b][/quote]umm can you say NYC area? i'm looking out the window at a homeless guy sleeping on a bench in the park as i type this. and it's cold and raining today. the KFC down the street is entirely bulletproof. need some used needles or empty crack vials? just look on the sidewalk. want your car vandalized or stolen? come park in my neighborhood... ain't life grand? :) -d. gauss http://www.betteroffdead.com

Reminds me of the time I was in DC at an RFK Dead show... the lot was full so we parked down some side street... the neighborhood was not so nice...My sweet rotweiller To-Kill-Ya (Tequila) wanted to stay in the truck, so we walked over to the show. On the walk back it was literally a trail of tears... Every single car on the street had a window broken and was robbed... I probably passed 50 cars that were broken into,,, until I got to mine... of course it was A OK! Thanks 'Quila!

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

what year kris? i was at many of those shows... one time not even going into the show and just tripping balls in the parking lot. man it gets SEEDY out there while the show is going on. good thing we looked like we were out of our minds during the show. that part of DC isnt the greatest to park in, i have been through that neighborhood many times. across the potomac from the lot is anacostia [i think there were 6 killings the night before the show i was talking about, 93 maybe?] i have been to nashville, plan to make it back there soon... only 4 hours away. go bug george for a while ;) but i wasnt that impressed with nashville, a bunch of uninspired wanna be country pop stars playing bar fronts for tips. although i did see a kick ass blues/funk band off off the main drag... where i live is about 20 degrees cooler in the summer, its DAMN HOT in nashville in the summer [probably hotter in memphis... so that will be a early springtime trip sometime] i will probably hit up chicago this summer, maybe potland [i got a friend out there]... hopefully holland and belgium as well.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Archived