Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pro-Tools Free and the latest version of the Standard Pro-Tools

how much does pro-tools free have in common with the latest version of protools, I've never used pro-tools standard and only messed with protools free. are the files compatible and is protools free a good way to learn protools standard? basically thats what i'm trying to do, just learn protools so i can collaborate with some people who use it. no midi outside of midiclock, just audio recording, editing, and arrangement of sample based music.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, class is in session. :cool: Pro Tools Free has the same basic interface as the other versions of Pro Tools (LE, TDM, HD). Yes, it's a good way to get some "Pro Tools Time" under your belt, and the price is certainly right. Unfortunately, you sort of get what you pay for. I've had problems getting Pro Tools Free to work on some systems, and it's certainly less reliable than other versions. If you can get it working, chances are you'll have your share of crashes. When it was first released, it had a rather nasty bug that crashed PC systems HARD. They fixed that, but there's still quite a few people who report problems with getting it to work well - and then, after installing something like PT LE (Digi 001 or Audiomedia III) on the same computer, the problems went away. :rolleyes: I look at PT Free as a "advertisement". Yes, you can probably get some work done with it, but IMO, you can't really judge the overall "user experience" properly with PT Free - it's much better as you go up the PT ladder. Files are compatable - you can take PT Free files and sessions and load them into a PT LE or TDM system. Remember though that you only have 8 tracks maximum, and you're limited to only two audio I/O's. The Pro Tools software is pretty easy to use and one of the easiest audio editing programs I've ever used to learn (and I've pretty much used them all...). MIDI is rudementary at best, but that's a non-issue for you. If I was in your shoes, I'd go ahead and download it and give it a try. It's a large download (about 30 MB), but other than the time, it's not actually going to cost you anything, so you're only out the D/L time if it doesn't work on your system. If you find you like it, or you are going to need to do a lot of collaboration with other PT users, I'd strongly recommend a Digi 001 Factory system. The Factory bundle will probably cost about $1,200, but you get about $2,000 worth of very cool plug ins (the Bomb Factory stuff is, well, THE BOMB!). The regular Digi 001 (non-"Factory") is going to cost about $750-799. These systems give you a lot of increased capabilities over the PT Free software - 18 I/O's, 24 audio tracks (instead of 8) 128 MIDI tracks (instead of 48), the ability to use all the RTAS plug ins (most of which you can't use on the PT Free software) etc. Class dismissed! :thu:

That's not uncommon Wewus... and I agree - it's a rather "poor" advertisement, because a person might be likely to reach the conclusion that you yourself seem to have reached - PT on a PC sux. Actually, I can affirm that this is NOT the case. Running a self built Athlon XP 1800 system, I'm able to get 24 tracks, plus 14 aux tracks, each with FIVE plug ins (the infamous "davec PT performance test") and the thing NEVER crashes. It's fast, stable and solid as a rock. You'd never know it would be that way based on PT Free's performance though. :rolleyes: BTW, latency = 2.9 ms. :thu:

I've been using the basic Pro Tools LE and must say I'm happy with it. It's on a friend's computer (for those of you who saw my post last week) and it doesn't crash (AMD 1.4Ghz w/512Megs RAM). Well, it crashes but only because the CPU gets too hot and the whole system shuts down (he's gonna get a new CPU fan soon). With my background in live sound, computers and Cool Edit Pro I was able to dive in to Pro Tools very easily. I'd say that within two hours I was using it very well. After a week now it's intuitive. I'm wondering how much better it might be if I read the manual :) -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Phil is exactly right. I started on PT Free. What a pain in the ass! Buggy as hell! But I was assured by enough people back then that it was just the free version. So, I made the leap and bought a Digi001 system. Works flawlessly! No crashes...Ever! I run it on a P-4 1.5Ghz w/512mb RAM. On the dave_c test I only got about 23 tracks(w/no aux's) but when the hell do I ever have 5 plug-ins across 23 tracks?!?! Anyway, one side note about PT-Free. The files you make will work just fine in a standard PT system. Ive done this with no problems at all.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

The other thing is Pro Tools PC upgrades and support are always lagging behind Mac Pro Tools. If you read some of the related forums it's a common thread. Pro Tools PC is like an unwanted step child. For instance Pro Tools PC does not have XP support the last time I checked.

Protools was written for the Mac OS and adapted for PC use, but many are having great success on the pc format with it. there is no tech support for PTFree, however, there is some great info on the [url=http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi]Digidesign User Confrerence[/url] on all types of PT systems and operating systems. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I use PT free on my pismo 400 with no probs. Very easy setup. Being a PT'er For a few years, I have learned that PT needs it's resources. Like, sufficiant ram allocation, no virtual memory on and preferably a custum/stripped down extension set. Once you configure properly you'll have no probs. I have been using the Digi 001 for about 2 1/2 years and it's been rock solid. Pt free is a great way to learn Pro Tools. Good Luck!

ATOMIX! :evil:

http://www.abc.net.au/common/logos/whtblkgrn.gif

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]The other thing is Pro Tools PC upgrades and support are always lagging behind Mac Pro Tools. If you read some of the related forums it's a common thread. Pro Tools PC is like an unwanted step child. For instance Pro Tools PC does not have XP support the last time I checked.[/b][/quote]I can't argue with this. Yes, there's more plug in support for the Mac. Yes, there's more softsynth support for the Mac. Yes, a lot of this is "third party" stuff. Yes, features are available on the Mac that are still not "there" on the PC... HOWEVER, for SPEED and PROCESSING, the PC wins - hands down. I challenge ANYONE, with ANY mac, to try the Davec test and let me know what their results are. Create a new 24 bit session. Create a mono track. Insert a standard Digi 4 band EQ, compressor, slap delay, medium delay and long delay. Record enable it. Duplicate it until your CPU useage meter goes "red", then delete track(s), clicking on the CPU meter, until the "red" goes away. If you can make it to 24 tracks w/o going "red" start adding aux input tracks with the same plug ins until you "go red". Once you have the max tracks you can get w/o "going red", record for a minimum of two minutes. The max tracks you can get and successfully record 2 min. of audio is your "result". A G4 450 is lucky to get 10 tracks. A Athlon 1700 can get 24 + 12, and Athlon 2000's get 24 + 19 or more. I get 24 + 13 now, after doing a few tweaks, on my Athlon Xp 1800. I imagine that will increase to 24 + 16 once I get my new Promise ATA100 controller card installed... Oh, and WIN XP support is due this month (May), and Digi is promising some other surprises in this new release. Mac software parity? Who knows - time will tell.

Sorry, I looked, but couldn't quickly find any images from the video, except where the four guys are standing nearly nude under the mirror ball :eek: and don't think that's what you had in mind, but I could be wrong. :D I guess I could offere "extra credit" for the first person who posts a pix of that teacher in that video.... either that, or you'll just have to settle for Duhduh's avatar photo. :eek: :eek:

And don't forget that if you get a Digi 001 you can use DigiStudio to do your collaboration online rather than slower ways like mailing files etc. Just thought I'd mention it given you said you wanted to collaborate.

Archived